Given trurapi instead of novorapid

123ben3210

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help here.
I went to collect My 2 monthly prescription today and was given trurapi instead of my normal novo rapid.

After speaking to the pharmacy they assure me this is exactly the same. But I am reluctant to try this.

I have since returned the insulin as the vials are a different shape and the fine point needles do not fit and are not able to twist on. I've attached a picture.

Has anyone else had this problem. Should the pharmacy be changing my insulin? I've requested novo rapid and have been told to go back next week as there's supply issues. (Have about 2 weeks worth in my fridge)

Thank you Screenshot_20220214-175349_Gallery.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
After speaking to the pharmacy they assure me this is exactly the same.
It's a biosimilar of NovoRapid (insulin aspart), so you can expect it to work the same.
However, the manufacturer is not the same, Trurapi is by Sanofi and NovoRapid by NovoNordisk, and you cannot use the same pen for it.

You were right to return it, as you cannot use it without the right pen, and they should know this.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help here.
I went to collect My 2 monthly prescription today and was given trurapi instead of my normal novo rapid.

After speaking to the pharmacy they assure me this is exactly the same. But I am reluctant to try this.

I have since returned the insulin as the vials are a different shape and the fine point needles do not fit and are not able to twist on. I've attached a picture.

Has anyone else had this problem. Should the pharmacy be changing my insulin? I've requested novo rapid and have been told to go back next week as there's supply issues. (Have about 2 weeks worth in my fridge)

Thank you View attachment 53388

Hi,

I can see instantly the issue with the cartridge fitting the needles in a Novo pen.. It may work in a solo star pen or All star pto pen? (I use Lantus. The non screw cap cartriges look the same, hence my guess at the pens that would accommodate?)

However... Your chemist should dispense what is precisely on your prescription.. A bit naughty...

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could always ask them to supply the correct pen for the new brand of insulin.

123ben3210

You could always ask them to supply the correct pen for the new brand of insulin.

Thank you

I've decided to not use fhe Insulin and request novorapid.

Reading online although very similar there's some slight difference in absorption time and strength. I don't really want to be messing with it. Expecially as I'm off abroad next week.

Reactions: Antje77
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help.

My partner has been using Nova Rapid for around 18 years with no issues. He was told his insulin would be changed to Turapi due to being more cost effective and after maybe a month of using the new insulin he ended up having 2 siezures (which caused some nasty breaks, so out of work and loss of his lisance)

I was wondering if anyone else had had any issues with swapping insulin?

Thanks

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1 and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @elizabethl2017 and welcome to the forums.

I did a quick search and couldn't see any posts mentioning this. Have you considered that the trurapi might not be the cause of the seizures? Was he hypo at the time?

Possibly a question to ask his diabetic clinic?

I hope that he gets better soon.

If you wish, I or another mod could move your post to a new thread with a title that might bring in more responses
eg
Novorapid to trurapi causing seizures???

Hi All,
I just received a letter from my GP saying I am being switched from NovoRapid cartridges with a NovoPen 6 to Trurapi cartridges & supposed to get a new Allstar Pro pen.

Do I need to ask for a new prescription for the screw on needles - I am currently using GlucoRx FinePoint hypodermic insulin needles for pre-filled / reusable pen injectors screw on 5mm/31gauge

Also can't seem to find any definitive info regarding Allstar Pro pens being smart (ie connect via bluetooth to my phone for dosage recording) - it's not vital as I can record my doses in the Libre App but it was helpful if I forgot to record dose at the time of injection

Thankfully I have enough NovoRapid for the time being so not time sensitive/rushed.

Thanx

Reactions: Jordi77

Ed P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a biosimilar of NovoRapid (insulin aspart), so you can expect it to work the same.
However, the manufacturer is not the same, Trurapi is by Sanofi and NovoRapid by NovoNordisk, and you cannot use the same pen for it.

You were right to return it, as you cannot use it without the right pen, and they should know this.
I was forced to switch and the results have been dismal. It takes forever to lower the blood sugars and then refuses to stop. I was using 4 to 6 unts of Novo rapid and I now get lows of 2.0 to 3.0 on 3-4 units I also seem to have a lot more itching spots

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also seem to have a lot more itching spots
Have you discussed this with your HCP?
If you have some kind of sensitivity to this insulin, it might be a reason to go back to your former insulin.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM