Sugar in Wine?

BravoKilo

Red wine image is misleading as the statement only holds for 1 pink sparkling wine and 1 rose of 30ish wines tested. Full list is here
https://ahauk.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Wine-survey-2022-results-1.pdf

Worst red wine has 2.2 g per glass (and the best 0).

The differences between different wines (even of same varietal) is revealing, and where the wines came from.

I can usually taste if a red wine has excess sugar, whites are a bit harder, but it is really annoying that nutrition information is not available for wines. The history of that is political….

Cheers!

Last edited:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Even though I actually 100% agree with the agenda here (that alcohol drinks should have clear nutritional labelling), this is yet another stupid, unclear, biased and unscientific news report based on a stupid, unclear, biased and unscientific study.

Reactions: AloeSvea
M

Member496333

Wine appears to be the flip-flop topic of choice at the moment for the legacy media. Next week wine will be great again. Cures cancer and enables levitation. Back to eggs in a few weeks. Groundhog Day.

Reactions: jjraak

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Wine appears to be the flip-flop topic of choice at the moment for the legacy media. Next week wine will be great again. Cures cancer and enables levitation. Back to eggs in a few weeks. Groundhog Day.
And coffee!

Reactions: jjraak

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wine should be fermented until either all the sugar turns to alcohol and there is no more food for the yeast, or the increasing alcohol content kills off or denatures the yeast. In either case fermentation stops at this point. So the final sweetness of the wine depends on the amount of sugar it contained in the first place combined with the alcohol tolerance of the strain of yeast.

My somewhat hazy memory of wine-making suggests that certain champagne yeasts tolerate a higher percentage of alcohol, hence the very crisp, bone-dry nature of good champagne as almost all of the initial sugar is used up in the initial fermentation. For a sweeter wine you would used yeast inactivated at a lower percentage of alcohol, leaving residual sugar in the wine (or sweeten post-fermentation after chemically killing off any remaining yeast).

Although for fizzy wine I think they add a little more sugar after fermentation stops and the stuff is bottled, to allow for it to restart limited fermentation within the bottle and make bubbles. But still, this extra sugar should be consumed by the yeast in a dry wine so the finished stuff will have very little.

So the drier the wine, the less sugar. Anyway I have tested myself and can happily report that dry red, white or fizzy plonk does not affect my BG so all is good in the ‘hood. :cat:

M

Member496333

Important to note for those doing the regular two hour testing - booze can delay the glucose because the liver prioritises the alcohol. It’s not impossible that you may see a rise much later than normally expected.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made wine some years ago .My husband said it was a weapon of mass destruction ! There is still a demijohn in the Garage probably 40 years old ,does anyone know of a bomb disposal squad in Lancashire
Carol

Jillyeb

Wine should be fermented until either all the sugar turns to alcohol and there is no more food for the yeast, or the increasing alcohol content kills off or denatures the yeast. In either case fermentation stops at this point. So the final sweetness of the wine depends on the amount of sugar it contained in the first place combined with the alcohol tolerance of the strain of yeast.

My somewhat hazy memory of wine-making suggests that certain champagne yeasts tolerate a higher percentage of alcohol, hence the very crisp, bone-dry nature of good champagne as almost all of the initial sugar is used up in the initial fermentation. For a sweeter wine you would used yeast inactivated at a lower percentage of alcohol, leaving residual sugar in the wine (or sweeten post-fermentation after chemically killing off any remaining yeast).

Although for fizzy wine I think they add a little more sugar after fermentation stops and the stuff is bottled, to allow for it to restart limited fermentation within the bottle and make bubbles. But still, this extra sugar should be consumed by the yeast in a dry wine so the finished stuff will have very little.

So the drier the wine, the less sugar. Anyway I have tested myself and can happily report that dry red, white or fizzy plonk does not affect my BG so all is good in the ‘hood. :cat:
I have found (throughout 50 years of Type 1) my blood sugar drops when drinking alcohol other than beer or lager which would cause it to rise.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made wine some years ago .My husband said it was a weapon of mass destruction ! There is still a demijohn in the Garage probably 40 years old ,does anyone know of a bomb disposal squad in Lancashire
Carol

Hilarious!