No more funded test strips

busygardener

I recently tried to order my repeat prescription online and found to my surprise that my test strips and lancets were no longer on the list. It so happened that I was due to go to my GP for my diabetic review (first in 2 years!). I asked him about the missing items and he informed me that the NHS were no longer funding them and I had to buy my own. I presume I was supposed to discover this by osmosis as nobody bothered to tell me about it. Anyway, is this common? I realise I have probably been lucky up to now. I was originally given them on prescription because I was initially thought to be T1 (it turned out to be stress diabetes which can present like T1) but eventually I was told it was in fact T2. I have been getting strips and lancets since 2007 but no longer. I have found some online for £12.49 (GlucRx) but am pretty angry that the NHS chooses to save money rather than provide me with preventative items. My view is that my condition is controlled because I test regularly but I've now been told that I don't need to test so often because it is under control! Sorry, bit of a rant but this has made me cross

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Sorry, bit of a rant but this has made me cross

I feel your pain. Unfortunately the NHS only fund T2s who are on meds that can cause hypos (eg gliclazide or, of course, insulin) on the grounds of cost, presumably. Unfortunately the phrase "prevention is better than cure" doesn't seem to enter their vocabulary and many UK T2s posting here have to buy their own.

I'll tag in @Rachox who has the current recommended list of UK meters with cheap strips, in case you want to change to a cheaper model.

Last edited:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry this makes zero sense, if I had to pay for strips, I would rather buy the libre, so much more beneficial in my opinion.

Reactions: GillybeanC

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @busygardener , you have indeed been lucky to get funded test strips for so long and I agree that it is short sighted of the NHS guidelines to not help patients who want to help themselves and ultimately save the NHS money by prevention of complications. Thanks for the ‘tag’ (!) @EllieM

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews if you use this link and select the meter plus 5 packs of strips and then add the code dcuk (all lower case) at check-out, you’ll get the meter free. So total cost for meter + 5 x 50 strips will be £31.76.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Links to the strips and the meter for future orders:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never had any test strips or Meyers funded by the NHS. I used an SD Codefree meter, and have done so for a decade now. Each meter lasts me about 3 years.

Reactions: jjraak

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yeah - it is the same in Aotearoa/NZ and on the same grounds (ish). I manage under a particular definition in the primary care handbook as being a "selected individual" (yeah! wo ho!), due to my constant experimentation and the fasting. But most practices and GPs do not like it. (I have been very lucky with my city GP.) And yes, the State does not like it. There are a bunch of SMBG (Self monitoring Blood Glucose) studies that bizarrely proves (???!!!) that T2D folks do not benefit from self monitoring. I do not get that conclusion either. It is so obvious to us in here that SMBG is an enormously helpful activity, and how to monitor our food intake, medications etc, exercise and so on - without this crucial data.

When T2D numbers in the population gets to be even more critically huge, and is set to bring health systems down (as is predicted) - maybe then they might ask this organisation, and ask folks like us - how helpful it is.

Sweden - prescribes (or at least used to) blood glucose test strips to any diabetic who wants to SMBG, they arrive in plentiful numbers, and without any ado, in the post, no questions asked. Sigh. Clever Swedes.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel guilty saying this, but I seem to be a rare lucky T2. After my first 3 monthly HbA1c test in August, my result came back at pre diabetic level, GP text to say she was happy with my result & to keep doing what I was doing. I called to ask if it was possible to have a meter, had a callback from the DN who first said no, they don't give them for T2's but I explained that I'd achieved the result low carb eating using a borrowed meter, the answer was then yes. My GP when asked agreed to the test strips. Had 6 monthly result on Wednesday & was due a script going in Friday, received the strips fine. :sorry:

Reactions: AloeSvea

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel your pain. Unfortunately the NHS only fund T2s who are on meds that can cause hypos (eg gliclazide or, of course, insulin) on the grounds of cost, presumably. Unfortunately the phrase "prevention is better than cure" doesn't seem to enter their vocabulary and many UK T2s posting here have to buy their own.

I'll tag in @Rachox who has the current recommended list of UK meters with cheap strips, in case you want to change to a cheaper model.
Totally agree with everything you say, but even T2 on meds that cause hypos don’t always get them either. I was on Gliclizide for a number of years and had to fight tooth and nail to get strips, they eventually decided to give me 1 pot a month which was totally pointless so I continued to self fund with cheaper strips. I’m now just on met so still self funding though not testing so much

M

Member496333

T2 generally are actively discouraged from self testing. The reason is obvious in my mind. Suffice to say it isn’t about saving the NHS money, but we needn’t go into all that here. As others have said, you were fortunate to have been getting them this long.

Reactions: XpatJock

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I am in favour of testing, I think it is essential for it to go hand in hand with education about foods and the reason for testing, how to interpret the results, and how to make alterations in diet, otherwise it is useless information for the patient.

Reactions: annie-p

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @busygardener , you have indeed been lucky to get funded test strips for so long and I agree that it is short sighted of the NHS guidelines to not help patients who want to help themselves and ultimately save the NHS money by prevention of complications. Thanks for the ‘tag’ (!) @EllieM

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews if you use this link and select the meter plus 5 packs of strips and then add the code dcuk (all lower case) at check-out, you’ll get the meter free. So total cost for meter + 5 x 50 strips will be £31.76.

Links to the strips and the meter for future orders:

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)
Thank you for this info. I have finally decided to retire my SD Codefree after around 10 years of service. The Codefree has ALWAYS given me high reults when compared to any other bgl meter i have used but I was able to work around that, One thing that I noticed was that the SD gained another extraa mmol/l or so when measuring a post prandial but dropped back to the regular fasting offset, so I would suspect the Codefree was susceptible to the lipid or protein content of the meal. The Navii uses the same sensor technology as my Caresense Dual so now I hope to get better tracking.

When I placed my order just now, there were only a couple of those kits available so they ar in short supply . I can confirm the discount code is accepted as stated above.

My GP has supported my habit for some 8 years now, and he supports me when i change my diet or medication. I am on Glic, and I am still a driver so that gives him the leeway to support a T2D. He also knows I am on this forum regularly, so actively benefitting from the testing. If he has to withdraw that support, then the Navii hopefully will be a good choice for me to self fund. I would not have been comfortable if I had to revert to the Codefree given the frequency of misreads from that item.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I am in favour of testing, I think it is essential for it to go hand in hand with education about foods and the reason for testing, how to interpret the results, and how to make alterations in diet, otherwise it is useless information for the patient.

True and as the average diabetes nurse will be woefully ill informed about the best way to go about it then....

They should give out a link to the forum instead..

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T2 generally are actively discouraged from self testing. The reason is obvious in my mind. Suffice to say it isn’t about saving the NHS money, but we needn’t go into all that here. As others have said, you were fortunate to have been getting them this long.
This is a bit contorted or Im being thick. What do you say is the reason?

Reactions: HSSS
M

Member496333

This is a bit contorted or Im being thick. What do you say is the reason?

Briefly, so as not to derail. If type 2 were encouraged to self test, it would blow the lid clean off the “base your diet on starchy carbohydrates” paradigm overnight. It’s an uncomfortable truth, but there are powerful forces involved who want us to to remain diabetic and continue to eat the foods that put us there while maintaining the lie that it’s all about sugar, fat and calories. The status quo must not be threatened. No one cares how much it costs the NHS. It’s taxpayer funded and the spoils go straight into the pockets of the same industries who lobby it.

Reactions: pms543

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Briefly, so as not to derail. If type 2 were encouraged to self test, it would blow the lid clean off the “base your diet on starchy carbohydrates” paradigm overnight. It’s an uncomfortable truth, but there are powerful forces involved who want us to to remain diabetic and continue to eat the foods that put us there while maintaining the lie that it’s all about sugar, fat and calories. The status quo must not be threatened. No one cares how much it costs the NHS. It’s taxpayer funded and the spoils go straight into the pockets of the same industries who lobby it.

I hope you are not right on this one. But understand that you may very well be!

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

I hope you are not right on this one. But understand that you may very well be!

Well I will bookend the subject by asking a question to ponder over: Do we really think that we know more about the aetiology and effective therapy of type 2 diabetes than all of the world's medical sciences, healthcare, food and pharmaceutical industries combined, or are they simply feigning collective ignorance by way of deception and obfuscation? I know which I think is more likely...

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This could be usefull information for those drivers wh are not taking the drugs that can cause ir prevent hypos.
The DVLA advise testing before driving for diabetics which does seem unnecessary and in contravention in the light of this information from an official source

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Sorry this makes zero sense, if I had to pay for strips, I would rather buy the libre, so much more beneficial in my opinion.

A pot of 50 strip's is around £7 and could easily last 2 weeks if used wisely
A libre sensor costs in the region of £50 and lasts 10 days I believe.
I agree that the libre is probably more beneficial but it's not essential and if you're struggling to pay utility bills or put food on the table.
Then paying for strip's makes perfect sense

Reactions: KK123

Mr TEL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read this post with disbelief!! The NHS would rather have phave to treat people with heart disease, blindness and amputations than provide them with a simple aid to help prevention?