Unintentional weight loss, cold then suddenly hot

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi I've posted on here a few times now, and I'm hoping someone can help with this I'm having different problems all the time, I feel really cold a lit of the day, limbs, feet, hands, nose and ears, sometimes worst after eating, which is a puzzle as well as low to moderate ketones, but blood sugar not high? Then suddenly will become very hot due to wearing, extra clothing, socks , finger less gloves indoors, with central heating on! Diabetic consultant says he doesn't know what it could be, GP not helpful, but can't be normal I have had weight loss since having covid over a year ago, and diabetes control unpredictable, but not overly high, keep asking for medical opinions, but not getting anywhere, still losing weight, even though trying to put some on, the list goes on, any one any ideas? As going out of my mind with it all, thanks in advance.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Nannynet, I'm sorry you are having all these issues.

since having covid over a year ago

Do you think you could have long covid??? There are quite a few threads on here by long covid sufferers, of all diabetes types.
(Disclaimer, not a diagnosis, but it's not yet well understood and a lot of people seem to have weird symptoms.)

As for the weight loss, if you want to put some back on I guess you've tried upping the carbs and insulin??? (Not the best person to advise on this, as I have the opposite problem).

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I experienced low level ketones on and off over several days a couple of years back. The answer proved to be that I was not eating quite enough to balance the insulin I was taking, because I was burning up so much energy with extra unaccostomed exercise. I know this may sound bananas, but eating less than 5g carbs extra at lunch and in the evening solved the problem.

Reactions: Nannynet

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As for the weight loss, if you want to put some back on I guess you've tried upping the carbs and insulin??? (Not the best person to advise on this, as I have the opposite problem).
I think more protein might be a better way of increasing weight rather than carbs ...

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've posted on here a few times now, and I'm hoping someone can help with this I'm having different problems all the time, I feel really cold a lit of the day, limbs, feet, hands, nose and ears, sometimes worst after eating, which is a puzzle as well as low to moderate ketones, but blood sugar not high? Then suddenly will become very hot due to wearing, extra clothing, socks , finger less gloves indoors, with central heating on! Diabetic consultant says he doesn't know what it could be, GP not helpful, but can't be normal I have had weight loss since having covid over a year ago, and diabetes control unpredictable, but not overly high, keep asking for medical opinions, but not getting anywhere, still losing weight, even though trying to put some on, the list goes on, any one any ideas? As going out of my mind with it all, thanks in advance.
any pattern in terms of eating/exercise which triggers the switch ? do you know what your blood glucose levels are doing at the time - finger stick rather than CGM ?

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
any pattern in terms of eating/exercise which triggers the switch ? do you know what your blood glucose levels are doing at the time - finger stick rather than CGM ?
I have libre 2 and I check with finger stick , I am just losing weight unintentionally and feel so cold at times, I go really cold after eating and taking insulin, and I get moderate ketones, sometimes after eating when cold, which doesn't make sense, diabetic team and GP don't know why, but it's just awful, I upped carbs but nothing makes any difference , still losing weight, just everything gone wrong since covid a year ago, hoping someone could give a clue, thanks for replying.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Nannynet ,

I can break into a bit of a sweat after eating something spicy then go cold later. Just body temp regulation.?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This might be a stupid question, but are you eating enough?
It might be worth tracking your calories over a few days to see if you're not accidentally following a low calorie diet.