No more funded test strips

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My strips got removed when I came off Metformin. I have seen comments that it is not good to test, can lead to anxiety; this is true is you follow the standard of care and get the blood glucose roller coaster. So seen through the lens of eat "normal" and cover with drugs for Type 2, that actually makes sense, but of course there are real people behind this methodology who thankfully have the internet.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read this post with disbelief!! The NHS would rather have phave to treat people with heart disease, blindness and amputations than provide them with a simple aid to help prevention?
Treating the after effects of diabetes employs more people and funds research in hospitals. Comsultants and professors benefit from people being ill.My GP benefits from me being registered as T2D on his practice, which is why he wants me to aim for a blood glucose level above 7.2 mmol/l otherwise i come off his books as resolved or in remission. Diet plans and advice does not pay the bills.

Sadly the bean counters have taken over the asylum.

Reactions: annie-p

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I think of the doctors, diabetes nurses, and the pharmacists on the front line of the no-SMBG policy (and therefore no funded BG test strips), from my own experience, I have to say - they really do seem to be coming from a postion of ignorance. And - lets not forget that ol' cognitive dissonance. They want to believe that self monitoring is really bad for us, and that Big Pharma is on our, the patients' side. Too awful to think otherwise? I get that.

And holding on to the idea that one miraculous day there will be a pill for this.

And I do wonder who they are asking to be a part of their SMBG studies. One of the obvious answers would support your theory @Jim Lahey, I do see that. I have said to my country doctor that he needs to ask people like me, and go on to this website, but he still prescribes me one pottle of BG test strips at a time (and therefore costs me a lot more money). I don't understand his reasoning. But he gave me a beautiful speech about him being on his patients' side, and I do believe him. He is just towing the line that the Ministry of Health supports - a quarter plate of glucose forming food a meal is the right way, and self testing is bad. We need to get governments to listen to us? People who are getting better with SMBG, or at least - not getting way worse? We need to be part of a loud lobby group in our different countries? Be one big international lobby group online?

Reactions: HSSS

Jak13

I e always bought my own strips and lancets as the gps won’t prescribe them as I’m type 2
I was also a practice nurse and I know that gps are reluctant to prescribe for any type 2’s
At the practice I was at until 2019 they advocate a high fibre, ‘balanced’ diet based on the traditional food plate example, no one ever suggested advocating a low carb diet. since joining this forum my knowledge has increased far more than while I was nursing ‍♀️

Reactions: MrsA2 and Oldvatr
M

Member496333

@AloeSvea, for clarification, I don't doubt for a moment that the majority of doctors and nurses are well meaning and have their patients' best interests at heart. But they are only one small cog in a giant corporate machine. For the most part, they learn and do what they're told just like those in all professions. It's the people who pay their wages that write the rules of the game. It goes without saying that there are eminent mavericks and renegades, but they're few and far between, and if they make too much noise they get attacked and defamed. Can't see this ever changing but we live in hope.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I think of the doctors, diabetes nurses, and the pharmacists on the front line of the no-SMBG policy (and therefore no funded BG test strips), from my own experience, I have to say - they really do seem to be coming from a postion of ignorance. And - lets not forget that ol' cognitive dissonance. They want to believe that self monitoring is really bad for us, and that Big Pharma is on our, the patients' side. Too awful to think otherwise? I get that.

And holding on to the idea that one miraculous day there will be a pill for this.

And I do wonder who they are asking to be a part of their SMBG studies. One of the obvious answers would support your theory @Jim Lahey, I do see that. I have said to my country doctor that he needs to ask people like me, and go on to this website, but he still prescribes me one pottle of BG test strips at a time (and therefore costs me a lot more money). I don't understand his reasoning. But he gave me a beautiful speech about him being on his patients' side, and I do believe him. He is just towing the line that the Ministry of Health supports - a quarter plate of glucose forming food a meal is the right way, and self testing is bad. We need to get governments to listen to us? People who are getting better with SMBG, or at least - not getting way worse? We need to be part of a loud lobby group in our different countries? Be one big international lobby group online?
The fount of all wisdom relating to UK diet seems to be the SACN comittee. They control and advise on ~Eatwell, DVLA guidelines, The Commons Climate Change Comnittee (CCCG), the comittee tasked to reduce obesity, and many other aspects of our lives. ~I did find their membership list for one of the CCCG meetings, and it published their list of members interests that makes good reading. Unfortunately the file is too large to load here,

SACN stands for Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition.

https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/scientific-advisory-committee-on-nutrition

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sacn-statement-on-nutrition-and-older-adults

Good hunting.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The fount of all wisdom relating to UK diet seems to be the SACN comittee. They control and advise on ~Eatwell, DVLA guidelines, The Commons Climate Change Comnittee (CCCG), the comittee tasked to reduce obesity, and many other aspects of our lives. ~I did find their membership list for one of the CCCG meetings, and it published their list of members interests that makes good reading. Unfortunately the file is too large to load here,

SACN stands for Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition.

https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/scientific-advisory-committee-on-nutrition

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sacn-statement-on-nutrition-and-older-adults

Good hunting.

I hear you @Oldvatr. But I am busy enough with my own two countries' health policies - Aotearoa and Sverige - to read up on Great Britain's! :) I glean a lot from you lovely lot in here. That's enough for me. :D So no hunting.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Talking about talking with the 'front liners' who help bar us from SMBG with affordable or subsidised or cheap test strips - I did say to my country doc - you are mandated to send those with diabetes out of your office with the "diet and exercise" line to get better, but, at the same time, don't really help people with either of those things. He said nothing. I have never been offered a "green prescription" for instance. And as you will know - the word "carbohydrate" has never been even whispered, and I have been insulin resistant for decades.

But yes - everyone has their heads down thinking about their pay packet, and the easiest way to get that, and yes - do what the powers that be say, unless above that kind of thing (like my wonderful city doctor) (and Sweden!). Reading up on it takes a lot of time, and you have to raise your head to do it? Too sad.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T
Briefly, so as not to derail. If type 2 were encouraged to self test, it would blow the lid clean off the “base your diet on starchy carbohydrates” paradigm overnight. It’s an uncomfortable truth, but there are powerful forces involved who want us to to remain diabetic and continue to eat the foods that put us there while maintaining the lie that it’s all about sugar, fat and calories. The status quo must not be threatened. No one cares how much it costs the NHS. It’s taxpayer funded and the spoils go straight into the pockets of the same industries who lobby it.
Thanks Jim

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
My surgery flatly refuse to issue test strips to t2 unless on insulin.
I do fund myself test strips as I know at times my levels can be alk over the place. Two med I take, unrelated to diabetes, are known to cause higher levels plus depending on my mood, can go off the rail at times. Oh the joys of being bipolar