Type 1 Eating Out

grahamrb

How do you handle blood sugar levels when eating out?
We take about 6 units of insulin before the meal and sometimes some units after the meal
We try to order sensibly but it is impossible to know what carbs are in restaurant food.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I eat very conservatively when eating out. I avoid carbs. Fill up on proteins. Eat only what I can guess at- salad, plain veggies.

If anything has a sauce and I don’t know what it is- no. Won’t eat it.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
We try to order sensibly but it is impossible to know what carbs are in restaurant food.

A whole lot of guessing. And as I actually like low carb foods I tend to choose lowish carb mains and starters and then share my husband's dessert... Plus eg if the meal comes with fries/chips, I don't have to eat all or any of them.

But you get better with practice. And if I misjudge and my bg goes to too high, I've plenty of experience with corrections. :)

But I don't try to get it right 100% of the time, just as much as I can. If I misjudge my levels one day, well then, tomorrow is another day and I can do better then.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I pick foods that are easier to reckon up for. Do my best and either eat or correct later in the day. At the start of my diabetic journey I felt panicked by it, but now I just go and enjoy the social aspect and don’t beat myself up if it all goes to pot. As @EllieM says tomorrow is another day.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Whilst most "norms" are Tweeting plate pics. If I'm unfamiliar with what's on offer, I google it. Usually a recipie comes up & I work the aprox carb content back from there.. With the "indie" joints. Some "chains" may have a nutritional value content online. I don't do desert.

It's an adventure. :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I adopt a suck it and see approach similar to yours. I estimate the carbs in the meal I'm about to have and take my insulin for that. Sometimes I will take a unit less before the meal and adjust with an extra unit or two an hour or so after the meal if I see my levels going up rapidly (via a libre so not sure if you have one of these). I would say if in doubt, take less than you think you will need as you can always adjust it later if you go high. Don't take more because you will then run the risk of hypo'ing. You have to be careful in knowing what you are doing but I pop in a unit at various times during the day when required, ie when I have a biccie or whatever. You have to be aware of 'stacking' though.

RoughcutAU

Always a fun one ... and I use the term loosely. I usually try to google or use an app to estimate carbs as best possible first and then correct later.

Still a relative newbie to it all and learning from mistakes. Tonights meal out with a friend a miscount and currently eating extra carbs I don’t want to ... but the meal was worth it. :)