Annual type 2 check up

Jax21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually have an early-ish morning appointment for my yearly check up for blood test/weight/etc but this time it's had to be afternoon. So am wondering if am right that the urine sample they want is an early morning one? but it will be hours until they test it if done in the early morning, will it even be worth it? or does it not matter what time it's done. I read that a sample taken early can go in the fridge until I leave...but is that ok for like 8 - 9 hours. I'm up at 7.00 am and appointment is 4.00 pm.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have they asked for one?
I took one along last time to be told that the urine test wasn't requested and she threw it in the bin!
And after all that careful aiming..
I doubt much will change though..

Jax21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have they asked for one?
I took one along last time to be told that the urine test wasn't requested and she threw it in the bin!
And after all that careful aiming..
I doubt much will change though..

oh lol ok, I usually take one and they use a test strip thing then send the rest to the lab here. Oh well i'll just do one and fridge it until I leave then it's up to them. Thanks.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
It's always recommend to take the urine sample in the morning before breakfast. What happens to it after is their problem not yours, no way would it be going into my fridge :hungover:
I would think that blood test results are more informative, the urine sample is just to see if you are peeing out sugar lumps.

Reactions: Jax21

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have an early-ish morning appointment for my yearly check up for blood test/weight/etc but this time it's had to be afternoon. So am wondering if am right that the urine sample they want is an early morning one? but it will be hours until they test it if done in the early morning, will it even be worth it? or does it not matter what time it's done. I read that a sample taken early can go in the fridge until I leave...but is that ok for like 8 - 9 hours. I'm up at 7.00 am and appointment is 4.00 pm.
Unless they tell you otherwise, any time of the day will do. Keep the sample in the fridge if it is going to be more than an hour to the test. Urine samples are used for the kidney related tests. Everything you need to know is probably here....
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/infections/how-should-i-collect-and-store-a-urine-sample/

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
For what it's worth (maybe not much as I'm T1 and in New Zealand) they always take a urine sample at my annual tests but I do it at the test centre when my blood is taken. They test it for renal function and albumin/creatinine ratio and don't care that it isn't fasting. I personally would have thought that an hba1c would be much more useful then a check to see whether you have sugar in your fasting urine.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am always told it must be the first "flow" in the morning, and do my best to make sure it is. This is the only occasion I wish I were a man! Mine is tested first by the nurse with a dip stick, then whizzed off to the lab for proper analysis. Our surgery has 2 types of bottle for urine samples. One for sending to the lab with a white top, the other just for the nurse to check. I am always told to obtain one with a white top, which we can pick up at reception.

Reactions: lucylocket61

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never take one to my reviews, the nurse usually asks for one so I pick up a pot on the way out, do the necessary ‘first flow’ at some point over the next week or so, and drop it back. It’s hardly an urgent test, but my surgery also use it for more detailed kidney function testing.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was done by post this year. Loved it. All done with results immediately. No more peeing in a pot.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my annual check up last month. I was asked to produce an early morning urine sample to take with me. My appointment wasnt until 2.30 so I put my sample bottle in a plastic sealed bag and popped it in the fridge until an hour before I went. Your delay will be fine. They send mine off to the lab, so it has all that transit time anyway. They do kidney function tests with it.