Hba1c and Metformin dose

AnnM99

Hi all.
Quick question ....
I got my hba1c back last week and it was 40. In fact, it had come down from 42 on my previous test even though I'd cut my metformin from 2000mg to 1000mg. What disappoints me is that I've seen these results on line and noone at my surgery has called me. Is this normal? A nurse called me last October to tell me I was at 42 and to halve my meds but maybe expect a rise to 50 but nope, it has reduced. Not sure if I expected a congratulations or something but I did wonder if she'd suggest me reducing my meds to 500mg .... Nothing.
Wonder if I l should leave it and continue with 1000mg or call them but they justvdon't see interested.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Whether to continue with the 1000mg or to reduce it is up to you and really depends upon how you feel about metformin.
Some people are happy to stay on 500mg or 1000 mg of metformin even with an HbA1C of less than 40 and some people prefer to take as few medications as possible.
Your GP can only give their own advice on that.
Many GP surgeries seem both surprised and even embarrassed when a patient does as well as you have. It is still rare and from what I see of your other posts, you have done it by generally going against their advice, so although it would be nice if they congratulated you, just be thankful that they aren't saying something like 'You must eat more carbs or you will kill yourself!'

Reactions: AnnM99

AnnM99

Whether to continue with the 1000mg or to reduce it is up to you and really depends upon how you feel about metformin.
Some people are happy to stay on 500mg or 1000 mg of metformin even with an HbA1C of less than 40 and some people prefer to take as few medications as possible.
Your GP can only give their own advice on that.
Many GP surgeries seem both surprised and even embarrassed when a patient does as well as you have. It is still rare and from what I see of your other posts, you have done it by generally going against their advice, so although it would be nice if they congratulated you, just be thankful that they aren't saying something like 'You must eat more carbs or you will kill yourself!'
Thank you for taking the time to get back to me.
It seems I have a bit of thinking to do on the current dose. I would be happy to knock off a pill and see what happens maybe.
Decisions decisions.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AnnM99 Bravo:) Phone them! That's their job after all, don't let them keep you wondering. I'd tell the receptionist that you are going to reduce your meds after seeing your results, but want to check first just in case. If they think you are taking action, they might reciprocate. Good luck.

AnnM99

@AnnM99 Bravo:) Phone them! That's their job after all, don't let them keep you wondering. I'd tell the receptionist that you are going to reduce your meds after seeing your results, but want to check first just in case. If they think you are taking action, they might reciprocate. Good luck.
Thanks. Just called them. Receptionist acknowledged they are back in normal range and gave reduced even after halving my meds. She will get someone to call me later today.

Reactions: Mrs HJG

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Congratulations @AnnM99 your hard work with your diet is obviously paying off
Your surgery is reacting exactly as I would expect, after all it's your diabetes not theirs.You are just one of hundreds or even thousands of patients on their books, if your blood results had shown anything to be concerned about I'm sure they would have contacted you.
Looks like you have discovered what many other have, metformin has very little impact on glucose levels and your success in lowering your HbA1c is mainly down to your dietary changes.
However before you decide to continue with it or not, a couple of thoughts. If you can tolerate it without experiencing the unfortunate side effects some people get, it can help by restricting the amount of glucose released by your liver and it helps a little with insulin resistance. I also believe taking it can have other benefits not directly related to diabetes. The other thing to bear in mind is that a T2 prescribed medication will get all prescriptions free with a valid medical exemption certificate. Un medicated T2's have to pay like everyone else under 60

Reactions: AnnM99

AnnM99

Congratulations @AnnM99 your hard work with your diet is obviously paying off
Your surgery is reacting exactly as I would expect, after all it's your diabetes not theirs.You are just one of hundreds or even thousands of patients on their books, if your blood results had shown anything to be concerned about I'm sure they would have contacted you.
Looks like you have discovered what many other have, metformin has very little impact on glucose levels and your success in lowering your HbA1c is mainly down to your dietary changes.
However before you decide to continue with it or not, a couple of thoughts. If you can tolerate it without experiencing the unfortunate side effects some people get, it can help by restricting the amount of glucose released by your liver and it helps a little with insulin resistance. I also believe taking it can have other benefits not directly related to diabetes. The other thing to bear in mind is that a T2 prescribed medication will get all prescriptions free with a valid medical exemption certificate. Un medicated T2's have to pay like everyone else under 60
Thank you for replying. Yes, I plan to keep an open mind tbh and am aware of some of the downsides to not taking it all. I need to check with her as to what's going on with my b vitamin 12 anyway and check if the Metformin is causing an issue as my results were abnormal -but expected so no action which I didn't understand.
I'm tolerating 2 a day ok and even 4 was ok ish (thought so at time ... Felt nauseous when I went to 4) but now realise how much my bowels have slowed down on 2!!! Sorry, tmi.

Reactions: catinahat

AnnM99

I've decided to reduce to 1 tablet.
I'm checking my sugars these last few days and seems to be about 4.5 to 5 before dinner and about 6 to 6.5 2 hours later so thinking I should reduce to 1 and see what happens in 12 weeks. Last night, it was 4.6 about 2.5 hours after eating. Feeling very tired at minute. I'm also feeling more relaxed for personal reasons and have noticed my bs seem better but just tired. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I really appreciate your replies. I'm not looking for medical advice just personal experiences. X

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @GiamoCasanunda and welcome to the forums.
Would you like me to move your post to its own thread in the Newly Diagnosed Forum?

Mamalaine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.
Quick question ....
I got my hba1c back last week and it was 40. In fact, it had come down from 42 on my previous test even though I'd cut my metformin from 2000mg to 1000mg. What disappoints me is that I've seen these results on line and noone at my surgery has called me. Is this normal? A nurse called me last October to tell me I was at 42 and to halve my meds but maybe expect a rise to 50 but nope, it has reduced. Not sure if I expected a congratulations or something but I did wonder if she'd suggest me reducing my meds to 500mg .... Nothing.
Wonder if I l should leave it and continue with 1000mg or call them but they justvdon't see interested.