Scared to death

Jasperleah

Hi there,

my journey with my diagnosis has been awful and I’m now really scared and not sure what to do. I got diagnosed about 7 months ago and was told on a 3 minute phone call I was diabetic type 2 and to take metformin 3 times a day and swop sugar for sweetener. That’s all I knew for 7 months. Being on metformin wrecked my life and I often didn’t take it as it made me feel so bad and because I wasn’t taking it properly it caused me anxiety because I thought I was doing so badly. I had a diabetes review questionnaire I answered it and got a phone call to be invited for a face to face appointment with a diabetic nurse.

she was lovely and started it by apologising and saying I should never have been put on diabetic medication as a first port of call and they had only done one blood test. So she offered to start again and to try and get my level down with diet and exercise as my level was 55 at initial diagnosis. She did another blood test and said to stop taking metformin straight away. She phoned me a week later to say my new level was 52 so I have a real chance to put some work in and get it down to the average of 48 myself and that my b12 level was dangerously low and so started my on b12 loading injections, she said after this I should feel so much better in myself and hopefully give me a boost to kick start my weight lose and life change. Fast forward 4 weeks and a doctor who I’ve never spoken to before rings me and asks me how I am getting on with my diabetes medication in which I explained what has happened with the nurse and he was shocked and said no you need to be on medication immediately. I told him my plan to get my weight down and he said my bmi was too high and my blood pressure is too high and my cholesterol was too high and my folic acid was too low and I need immediate medication for it all. I said how much metformin had wrecked my life and he has prescribed my Forxiga and I have googled the medication and seen really really bad reviews and I’m really scared. I’ve tried getting hold of the original nurse but she was only covering at my surgery and I can’t find her anywhere. I tried explaining to him about the plan I had and he basically said she’s just a nurse and that I’m now talking to a doctor and I need to listen to him.
I’m just baffled I’ve suddenly gone from no medication for anything to folic acid, Forxiga, atorvastatin tablets, lisinopril tablets. I guess my question to anyone who has stayed reading this far is do you agree with the doctor on this or the diabetic nurse? Also with the Forxiga I read people saying they wished they had known how this drug would’ve affected them as they never would have taken it and I’m just scared of it

Jasperleah

I’m hoping she rings me soon to discuss my plan for after my loading injections and I can explain everything to her before I take this medication. But I’m hoping I get this right because I’m inclined to try and do this myself before I rely on medication, thanks for you reply

pre-predb

Hi there,

my journey with my diagnosis has been awful and I’m now really scared and not sure what to do. I got diagnosed about 7 months ago and was told on a 3 minute phone call I was diabetic type 2 and to take metformin 3 times a day and swop sugar for sweetener. That’s all I knew for 7 months. Being on metformin wrecked my life and I often didn’t take it as it made me feel so bad and because I wasn’t taking it properly it caused me anxiety because I thought I was doing so badly. I had a diabetes review questionnaire I answered it and got a phone call to be invited for a face to face appointment with a diabetic nurse.

she was lovely and started it by apologising and saying I should never have been put on diabetic medication as a first port of call and they had only done one blood test. So she offered to start again and to try and get my level down with diet and exercise as my level was 55 at initial diagnosis. She did another blood test and said to stop taking metformin straight away. She phoned me a week later to say my new level was 52 so I have a real chance to put some work in and get it down to the average of 48 myself and that my b12 level was dangerously low and so started my on b12 loading injections, she said after this I should feel so much better in myself and hopefully give me a boost to kick start my weight lose and life change. Fast forward 4 weeks and a doctor who I’ve never spoken to before rings me and asks me how I am getting on with my diabetes medication in which I explained what has happened with the nurse and he was shocked and said no you need to be on medication immediately. I told him my plan to get my weight down and he said my bmi was too high and my blood pressure is too high and my cholesterol was too high and my folic acid was too low and I need immediate medication for it all. I said how much metformin had wrecked my life and he has prescribed my Forxiga and I have googled the medication and seen really really bad reviews and I’m really scared. I’ve tried getting hold of the original nurse but she was only covering at my surgery and I can’t find her anywhere. I tried explaining to him about the plan I had and he basically said she’s just a nurse and that I’m now talking to a doctor and I need to listen to him.
I’m just baffled I’ve suddenly gone from no medication for anything to folic acid, Forxiga, atorvastatin tablets, lisinopril tablets. I guess my question to anyone who has stayed reading this far is do you agree with the doctor on this or the diabetic nurse? Also with the Forxiga I read people saying they wished they had known how this drug would’ve affected them as they never would have taken it and I’m just scared of it
The nurse! You have had a very bad experience with all this. Did the doctor give you an explanation of your blood test results? You have a right to be given a print out of your test results, and then you could post them on here for comment by some of the very experienced and knowledeable members on this site.

Reactions: jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m hoping she rings me soon to discuss my plan for after my loading injections and I can explain everything to her before I take this medication. But I’m hoping I get this right because I’m inclined to try and do this myself before I rely on medication, thanks for you reply

My HbA1c on diagnosis was 87 mmol/mol I chucked the metformin in the bin after three weeks, totally overhauled my diet and cut out breakfast.

Effortless weight loss, lower blood pressure , reversal of sleep apnea all followed fairly swiftly.

Cut out as many carbs as you possibly can extend your overnight fast as much as possible and eat wholesome fresh cooked single ingredient foods mainly meat fish eggs and green veg and you should get your number down fast.
I did all that with no medication whatsoever.

Numbers in signature.

Good luck.. your nurse sounds like a keeper!

Reactions: BPF

Jasperleah

No he didn’t really give me a break down just said I was overweight and my blood pressure was too high and my folic acid was too low and cholesterol was too high. The nurse who also looked at the same results was the one who said about my b12 levels and we was tackling that she also explained that she expected my blood pressure to be high because at the point it was taken I was in floods of tears because she was the first person who I had talked to in 7 months and I had all this emotion because she basically told me that my last 7 months of being in metformin didn’t need to happen and I was house bound a lot of the time because of side effects so it all just came out in tears, she wasnt unhappy about anything other than my b12 levels which is what I’ve been tackling in the last 4 weeks.

Jasperleah

My HbA1c on diagnosis was 87 mmol/mol I chucked the metformin in the bin after three weeks, totally overhauled my diet and cut out breakfast.

Effortless weight loss, lower blood pressure , reversal of sleep apnea all followed fairly swiftly.

Cut out as many carbs as you possibly can extend your overnight fast as much as possible and eat wholesome fresh cooked single ingredient foods mainly meat fish eggs and green veg and you should get your number down fast.

Numbers in signature.

Wow this is amazing and I’m so glad I wrote this post my heads been in a spin since my doctors phone call, the diabetic nurse said something similar about her husband getting his levels down himself and not being on medication. I really hope she rings me or il have to put a public notice out for her to get in touch! I’m inspired to try this on my own I’m aware my diet is awful and I’m not surprised I’ve ended up as I am so I know exactly what I need to do and I just want to be given a chance before I start the heavy medications. Thank you

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Numbers in signature.

I wish I’d had a nurse like her. Meanwhile, there are a lot of GPs who think they are are experts on diabetes. Often they aren’t.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woooo hold up there.
Right, you've been through the ringer with awful advice, we are taught to trust our medical professionals but their level of training with T2s is minimal, a leaflet, drugs & more drugs is the normal course.
So you started with a HbA1c of 55 & got it down to 52, well done.
You admit you've weight to lose, that's your dealers card, do it.

Hit low carb, research it properly, your weight will drop off, believe me,
I went from 19.5st to 14st in 5 months by low carbing & walking the dog.
Recently diagnosed Obese T2s have a golden ticket if they wish to cash it in.

It's up to you but the tools are there . . . . or take the drugs

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly I would just like to say you are going to be ok - relax - we have all been where you are now and have survived to tell the tale and so will you :)

I recall when I was first diagnosed my doctor wanting to put me on everything too and panicking - I had my 1st appointment with the diabetic nurse and she agreed once I refused medication to give me 3 months to lower my levels which I did - I had a Hb1Ac of 86 when diagnosed - have a look at my signature and see my journey - I did it by cutting out the obvious sugary foods (I wasn't aware of low carb at that point) and still managed it but I am sure if you cut down on the carbs you will be able to do it too. When I cut the carbs and lost the weight everything else fell in to place. I control this beast by eating a low carb diet and keeping active (nothing too strenuous just walking). Take care and any questions just ask away they are a very friendly, knowledgeable, approachable team on here.

Edited to Add - btw if I were in your shoes I would defo ditch the metformin

Reactions: Sara100 and jjraak

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @Jasperleah

I understand how stressed and worried you must feel right now. It will get better. I agree with @Mrs T 123 that many of us have found this forum in a mood of anxiety and despair and have found a lot of help and support.

So no one on this site can give medical advice but we can tell you what has worked for us. As a lawyer I expect doctors not to give legal advice and they expect me not to give medical advice.

I am on metformin. My levels are in the normal range but the metformin has some benefits for me. I am on one tablet a day. When I took it in the morning (slow release) I had stomach pains and cramps- not great. I started taking them at night and no more problems- not sure why but that's what worked for me.

I highly recommend that you get a meter and start testing. It is the meter that will give you feedback on how you are doing and what foods your body can tolerate. My meter has made it very clear to me that very low carb is the way to go. I have brought my results into the normal range. I keep testing because low carb for me is difficult at times and I too readily carb creep- still low carb but... The meter will also give you something to discuss with your doctor

I also lost weight going low carb but the carb creep has made some of it creep back on- still below what I started. I'm back to being very strict again most days.

Welcome and good luck.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I can't add anything to the excellent advice you have already been given except to say that dr's are not god's

I know exactly what I need to do and I just want to be given a chance before I start the heavy medications.

It's your body and your diabetes, so you get to decide what medication you are willing to take. Your Dr's can not force you to do anything. If you want to try tackling T2 with diet alone you do not need your dr's permission

I can explain everything to her before I take this medication.

As others have said your nurse is a keeper and I can understand why you would want to discuss your treatment and inform her of any decisions you make regarding medication. But again it's your body you don't have to explain anything.
When you have got your HbA1c down to non diabetic levels and hopefully lost some weight along the way.
It will have been because of your hard work not theirs.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jasperleah posting here may turn out to be your best move, that and you seem to have a nurse who’s on the ball.

When it comes down to it, there is only one person who can decide what goes into your body - you! It’s important you make your own decisions based on information you gather from a range of sources. That does include health care professionals but they should work with you.

As well as all the personal success stories and knowledge on here - I’m another who started with a v high HbA1c (108), high blood pressure and a ton of weight to lose. All were significantly improved without medication and through a (very) low carb diet (numbers in signature).

You may be interested in this paper from Dr David Unwin, a GP in the north west of England, who has been using this approach in his general practice and publishing the results - proven clinical practice that demonstrates improved blood glucose control, weight loss, improved blood pressure and lipid profiles. Might be worth sharing it with your doctor! https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6695889/

Reactions: ziggy_w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow this is amazing and I’m so glad I wrote this post my heads been in a spin since my doctors phone call, the diabetic nurse said something similar about her husband getting his levels down himself and not being on medication. I really hope she rings me or il have to put a public notice out for her to get in touch! I’m inspired to try this on my own I’m aware my diet is awful and I’m not surprised I’ve ended up as I am so I know exactly what I need to do and I just want to be given a chance before I start the heavy medications. Thank you

Some more inspirational support for you

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/new...OZJJdkPGb2P1pW4cXjbF_lakBzxJL1eiAhzF9jeOsRDxE

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish I’d had a nurse like her. Meanwhile, there are a lot of GPs who think they are are experts on diabetes. Often they aren’t.

I'm not even sure it's that. They simply follow the rule book: diabetes?, the computer says this is what you are having.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
One of the possible side effects of Metformin is plummeting B12 levels. This happened to me and I supplemented with B12 spray from a company called BetterYou. I had to pay for this myself but sprays tend to to absorb faster and more efficiently than tablets and I was able to increase my levels very quickly. Increasing folic acid and B12 should help you to feel better.
Meanwhile, I think your nurse is on the right track. My original HbA1c was 104 and through a low carb healthy fat diet, more walking and swimming I lost weight and reduced it to normal levels. I was on Metformin initially but now maintain normal blood glucose levels without it.

Jasperleah

Wow thank you all so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. I’m more determined than ever to do this on diet alone and see where I can get myself by looking after myself like many I’m a single mum to a boy who is my world and I do everything for him and have forgotten myself and my needs. I realise now in order to do right by him I need to do right by myself.
My b12 level was 115 I believe and the nurse said to me she was excited how much better I would feel once this was up to a normal level and I think I’ve been so use to feeling exhausted that I can’t imagine what feeling normal looks like.
I shall invest as much time as I can to looking through all your suggestions about a low carb diet and I will 100% keep you all informed on my journey.
I started on 3 slow release metformin a day and honestly the thought of going back to that life is not something I’m prepared to do and this new drug I’ve been given is enough to scare the life out of me. I have picked up my tablets and have them unopened on top of the fridge as a little daily reminder of what’s to come if I don’t tackle this.
I’ve also always been one for a quick fix and I understand more than ever it’s a life style change that I’m going to be doing not a fad diet. I have a blood sugar reading meter that I brought myself so I shall start doing my readings

thanks again everyone you’ve enabled me to sleep a little better last night for the first time in a long while

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No he didn’t really give me a break down just said I was overweight and my blood pressure was too high and my folic acid was too low and cholesterol was too high. The nurse who also looked at the same results was the one who said about my b12 levels and we was tackling that she also explained that she expected my blood pressure to be high because at the point it was taken I was in floods of tears because she was the first person who I had talked to in 7 months and I had all this emotion because she basically told me that my last 7 months of being in metformin didn’t need to happen and I was house bound a lot of the time because of side effects so it all just came out in tears, she wasnt unhappy about anything other than my b12 levels which is what I’ve been tackling in the last 4 weeks.
And the low carb eating is likely to resolve not just the high blood glucose but also the weight, blood pressure (assuming wasn’t the stress induced explanation that is highly likely) and cholesterol issues. The only things I’d be taking in your shoes is the b12 and folic acid (they work in tandem).

Your dr sounds arrogant in his superiority, over the diabetes nurse and either ignorant or drug pusher and the nurse a winner. Plenty of us started out a bit overweight, at your bgl levels or higher and with cholesterol the drs didn’t like and resolved/improved it with diet alone in a matter of months. Some did it with drs cooperation and encouragement, some not. Some ignored drs like yous openly, some did it by simply not telling them til afterwards.

Ultimately it’s your body and your choice.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow thank you all so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. I’m more determined than ever to do this on diet alone and see where I can get myself by looking after myself like many I’m a single mum to a boy who is my world and I do everything for him and have forgotten myself and my needs. I realise now in order to do right by him I need to do right by myself.
My b12 level was 115 I believe and the nurse said to me she was excited how much better I would feel once this was up to a normal level and I think I’ve been so use to feeling exhausted that I can’t imagine what feeling normal looks like.
I shall invest as much time as I can to looking through all your suggestions about a low carb diet and I will 100% keep you all informed on my journey.
I started on 3 slow release metformin a day and honestly the thought of going back to that life is not something I’m prepared to do and this new drug I’ve been given is enough to scare the life out of me. I have picked up my tablets and have them unopened on top of the fridge as a little daily reminder of what’s to come if I don’t tackle this.
I’ve also always been one for a quick fix and I understand more than ever it’s a life style change that I’m going to be doing not a fad diet. I have a blood sugar reading meter that I brought myself so I shall start doing my readings

thanks again everyone you’ve enabled me to sleep a little better last night for the first time in a long while

Oh my word, starting you on 3 Metformin tablets a day is hard core. It is usual to start on one tablet and build up over several weeks. The slow release tends to be gentler, but not everyone can tolerate it, and you're obviously one of those folks.

Honestly, yo aren't alone in this; from either your Doctor's attitude. Many, including myself, have been on the recieving end of a similar approach. For me, it just made me all the more determined to show how determined I could be.

Take it steady. There's a lot to change and for a while you won't quite know which way is up. Shopping will take longer and be (more of) a chore than usual, but it is an investment in yourself. You will reap the rewards.

Stick around, so many have walked your path before you. They can help you navigate through what you need to do.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Outlier

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good grief - your Hba1c is 52 and your GP is getting hot under the collar?
What a fuss - no wonder you are thinking you are in danger - you are so close to the lower end of the range for diabetes as well - just cut back a bit on bread and potatoes, rice and pasta too if you eat them, and you should be no longer diabetic in a month or three - and need some new clothes too as you should see your waistline shrink.
This might seem a bit blasé - but as an ordinary type 2 I started with a Hba1c of 91 and was in the prediabetes range at 80 days despite throwing the tablets away. You should not need to be anything like as harsh with the low carbing as me, with any luck.

Reactions: BPF and jjraak