Diabetic socks for limited movement/dexterity

JustACarer

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anybody can share some recommendations for diabetic socks? My elderly grandad is quite frail and has limited dexterity and movement. Even with a sock aid, reaching to put ordinary socks on properly can be a struggle, when he decides to wear them. He has swollen legs and feet, which add to the challenge. He's housebound and spends most of his day sat in a chair, only moving short distances to the kitchen and bathroom. He usually just wears slippers without socks, but will sometimes wear shoes (with socks). He occasionally has an ingrowing toenail and cellulitis, which his podiatrist and GP sort out. He's complained of heel pain in the past, which was apparently neuropathy.

Because elasticated ordinary socks seem to be too tight and potentially a risk, I thought diabetic socks might be better for him to wear - I'm just not sure which ones would suit his physical abilities, though; socks that can work with his sock aid and are easy to pull up and take off, and perhaps don't need to be positioned (maybe something more like a hose?). Does anybody have any socks they can recommend?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spent some time on a similar quest and bought a lot of socks with Diabetic on the box but were indistiguishable from regular socks.

Finally I found two types that I liked. One was Dr Scholls extra wide socks available on Ebay and a version of Heat Holders that were originally from Matalan although a quick check of their web site does not show them today.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These are ok as general purpose socks that aren't tight. I wear them in bed but they might be suitable for @JustACarer 's grandad.
https://www.marksandspencer.com/3-pack-cotton-gentle-grip-socks/p/clp60286713

If you go on Amazon and put diabetic socks into their search engine it will come up with an assortment. I get the ones which are the extra wide which are expensive at about 16.99 a pair. There are some much cheaper ones in packs of 3, but they are just a bit tight on my legs which can be very swollen
Hope they work for you.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there - I haven't bought any of these, but they were suggested by the local podiatrist who spoke to our Diabetes UK group a while ago.

It just so happens HJ Hall are a local firm, which went down well.

The wide top version looks a bit like those suggested by @Mr_Pot .

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Tradie socks with a sock device to get a sock on my left leg as I have a dickie knee.

These are the ones I get, they also have them in black.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/520541/tradie-men-work-socks-size-11-13

Here's a similar sock pulleronna to the one that I use from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Baosity-Handle-Assist-Compression-Pregnant/dp/B0876WKQX3/ref=sr_1_37?crid=6LEZQ4QQR9ZH&keywords=tool+to+aid+in+putting+socks+on&qid=1646079207&sprefix=sock+tool+for+putting,aps,353&sr=8-37

Edit: typo

Last edited:

JustACarer

Thanks for the suggestions and comments, everyone - a few ideas to take a closer look at and see if there's something suitable for my grandad.