Changing from Metformin to slow release

Mistyharbour

Hi,
I've recently been unwell which I put down to a tummy bug but I have a switched from Metformin to slow release a few days ago so I'm now wondering if the new tablets are the cause.
Has anoyone else had experience with this?
Thank you

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi,
I've recently been unwell which I put down to a tummy bug but I have a switched from Metformin to slow release a few days ago so I'm now wondering if the new tablets are the cause.
Thank you

Hi and welcome to the forums,

Metformin is renowned for causing stomach upsets. For a good number of people, switching FROM basic metformin TO slow release is enough to negate the symptoms or reduce them to a tolerable level.

Some people cannot tolerate Metformin in any form and it may be that the build up of the drug in your system has taken you to a level where your body can no longer cope.

If symptoms persist - please consult your doctor.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was switched to slow release Metformin by my GP several years ago. Within weeks I was back on the standard tablet. Slow release turned my stomach to mush and I couldn't dare be more than a few minutes from a loo at any time. It was a disaster. As soon as I returned to the standard tablet all was well again.

goliver374

Hi,
Thank you

I had the same problem, spoke to the doctor about it he change it to slow release. i been find now but before just felt sick up set stomach also had diarrhoea

whiteorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a lot of nausea with metformin but was changed to slow release and it is much better now. I have the same problem with gliclazides so now have slow release with those too

Type2Tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tory politicians
Years ago when I was first put on Metformin I suffered nausea, stomach problems and dizziness. This was mainly in the mornings even though I took 2 x 500mg a day with food. The doctor then put me on slow release which seemed to sort things out. However I seem to be having problems again and I have noticed that quite often the pharmacy give me different brands with different size tablets. I know the specification and content of the tablets should always be the same and follow the same formula but it does set me thinking if this is causing the adverse effects! Does anyone else think the same?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Years ago when I was first put on Metformin I suffered nausea, stomach problems and dizziness. This was mainly in the mornings even though I took 2 x 500mg a day with food. The doctor then put me on slow release which seemed to sort things out. However I seem to be having problems again and I have noticed that quite often the pharmacy give me different brands with different size tablets. I know the specification and content of the tablets should always be the same and follow the same formula but it does set me thinking if this is causing the adverse effects! Does anyone else think the same?
I was always lucky in SR being okay, but different pills may have different coatings which may be an impact
My pharmacy always seemed to have a different manufacturer every month, I suspect whoever was cheapest. So it is possible

do you note issues increasing on any particular brands?

AngelSix60008

It is fact that different companies' meds can work different. While working with special needs students we had trouble when a child taking seizure meds experienced this. When we spoke with doctors and pharmacists they confirmed that this was our issue. We had to get medical documents including data showing the child was effected seriously in order to get the original no generic medicine paid for. It was work but it helped. If you document the issues carefully it might work to get your pharmacy not to play with your meds.

Mazy231

Hi
I recently change from metformin to slow release tablets there is a change but in bowels and cramps but for me it last 5/6 days you have to be careful of what you eat aswell cutting carbs is tough.

MJC1

MJC1

Hi my understanding is the basis of the tablet will be the same but it’s what else is in it than can cause/solve problems. I had trouble with different brands of pregablin - one worked others had no effect!