Testing for LADA

ZoeinKent

Hi all,

Just a quick query regarding testing to diagnose LADA.

I know people often mention GAD-A and c-peptide testing. Are both of these necessary, or would a positive GAD-A be pretty conclusive? I'm looking into private testing, but it's pretty pricey to get both tests.

(As a bit of background, I eat low carb and am slim and active, but my HbA1c is climbing steadily despite this. I have subclinical hypothyroidism with antibodies, which all makes me suspect LADA.)

Many thanks!

pre-predb

Hi all,

Just a quick query regarding testing to diagnose LADA.

I know people often mention GAD-A and c-peptide testing. Are both of these necessary, or would a positive GAD-A be pretty conclusive? I'm looking into private testing, but it's pretty pricey to get both tests.

(As a bit of background, I eat low carb and am slim and active, but my HbA1c is climbing steadily despite this. I have subclinical hypothyroidism with antibodies, which all makes me suspect LADA.)

Many thanks!
This sounds a bit similar to me! I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune condition causing hypothyroidism and TPO antibodies) which was diagnosed by chance about 15 years ago, and am on levothyroxine, but feel I am inadequately dosed with this.

I only had my Hba1c tested a few years ago, and it has varied between 39 and 42, which I am surprised about because, like you, I eat a low carb diet and am very active. I do however, have extreme difficulty losing the 5 kilos or so I would really like to. I am the top end of normal BMI but would like to be lower.

Can I ask what your Hba1c is? Also were you given any data on your TSH and T4 levels regarding your thyroid?

ZoeinKent

This sounds a bit similar to me! I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune condition causing hypothyroidism and TPO antibodies) which was diagnosed by chance about 15 years ago, and am on levothyroxine, but feel I am inadequately dosed with this.

I only had my Hba1c tested a few years ago, and it has varied between 39 and 42, which I am surprised about because, like you, I eat a low carb diet and am very active. I do however, have extreme difficulty losing the 5 kilos or so I would really like to. I am the top end of normal BMI but would like to be lower.

Can I ask what your Hba1c is? Also were you given any data on your TSH and T4 levels regarding your thyroid?

Hi, sorry to hear you're experiencing similar struggles. My latest HbA1c was 41 - same as a year ago when I was eating a normal diet! Last year I managed to get it down to 31 by eating low carb and running. But now, despite still eating low carb, it's up to 41 again. (Admittedly I run a little less, as my kids have most inconsiderately stopped napping at the same time!)

My T4 was 14.4 last month, but TSH was 10.4 and I tested positive for anti-TPO antibodies. Not quite sure if this constitutes Hashimotos as my GP has been a bit vague!

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, I assume a positive Gad antibody test would be enough for you to go back to GP without going to the expense of a cpep but I’m no expert, you have a Hba1c way below diabetic though so not sure why you suspect LADA? Maybe I’m missing something?

pre-predb

Hi, sorry to hear you're experiencing similar struggles. My latest HbA1c was 41 - same as a year ago when I was eating a normal diet! Last year I managed to get it down to 31 by eating low carb and running. But now, despite still eating low carb, it's up to 41 again. (Admittedly I run a little less, as my kids have most inconsiderately stopped napping at the same time!)

My T4 was 14.4 last month, but TSH was 10.4 and I tested positive for anti-TPO antibodies. Not quite sure if this constitutes Hashimotos as my GP has been a bit vague!
TSH of 10 would indicate hypothyroidism. Your T4 sounds in range but could probably be higher. Might be worth going back to the doctor to discuss this. You can also get some good advice on Thyroid UK forum (similar to this). Make sure you get a print out of your blood results as they can then then comment on them. I would say Hypothyroidism would explain - at least partly - your rise in Hba1c

From what you say, you seem younger than me! I'm 64 and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's when I was 50, which is quite classic, but I think it probably started after the birth of my second child - when I was 34. My Hba1c has only been tested in the last 4 years and has never been below 39 whatever I do with low carb and exercise. I used to run marathons but only do short distances now, although I jog every day. I also do HIIT exercise, and other classes, at the gym and walk and cycle a lot. But nothing makes any difference :(

ZoeinKent

Hiya, I assume a positive Gad antibody test would be enough for you to go back to GP without going to the expense of a cpep but I’m no expert, you have a Hba1c way below diabetic though so not sure why you suspect LADA? Maybe I’m missing something?

Hi, thanks very much for your reply. It's just that I'm eating very low carb (no spuds, rice, pasta or normal bread) and previously this was keeping me in the 30s. Now I'm back at 41, which is almost prediabetes... Maybe I'm worrying a bit ahead of time, but with the thyroid antibodies too, I just wondered if I was in the early stages of LADA. Would be very happy if I'm barking up the wrong tree though!

ZoeinKent

TSH of 10 would indicate hypothyroidism. Your T4 sounds in range but could probably be higher. Might be worth going back to the doctor to discuss this. You can also get some good advice on Thyroid UK forum (similar to this). Make sure you get a print out of your blood results as they can then then comment on them. I would say Hypothyroidism would explain - at least partly - your rise in Hba1c

From what you say, you seem younger than me! I'm 64 and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's when I was 50, which is quite classic, but I think it probably started after the birth of my second child - when I was 34. My Hba1c has only been tested in the last 4 years and has never been below 39 whatever I do with low carb and exercise. I used to run marathons but only do short distances now, although I jog every day. I also do HIIT exercise, and other classes, at the gym and walk and cycle a lot. But nothing makes any difference :(

Thanks so much for your reply. I had no idea hypothyroidism could raise one's HbA1c - interesting! My GP wants to retest my thyroid function in a few months' time, so I'll have a chat then.

Funnily enough, my wonky thyroid was picked up after the birth of my second child, too. I'm just about to turn 40, so yes, slightly younger. I've heard pregnancy can do odd things to the thyroid...

So sorry your HbA1c is resisting your best efforts with diet and exercise. But it sounds like it's sticking around the top end of normal, so hopefully it'll stay there and not give you any trouble in the future! Thanks again; it's good to hear from someone in the same boat.

pre-predb

Thanks so much for your reply. I had no idea hypothyroidism could raise one's HbA1c - interesting! My GP wants to retest my thyroid function in a few months' time, so I'll have a chat then.

Funnily enough, my wonky thyroid was picked up after the birth of my second child, too. I'm just about to turn 40, so yes, slightly younger. I've heard pregnancy can do odd things to the thyroid...

So sorry your HbA1c is resisting your best efforts with diet and exercise. But it sounds like it's sticking around the top end of normal, so hopefully it'll stay there and not give you any trouble in the future! Thanks again; it's good to hear from someone in the same boat.

From 'werywell health' : "It's not uncommon for someone to have both thyroid disease and diabetes. In fact, if you have type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance, or metabolic syndrome, your risk of developing thyroid disease is increased.

On the flip side, thyroid disease increases your risk of developing metabolic syndrome or type 2 diabetes. The association is even stronger if you are overweight or obese."