New to diabetes

Mikeylad5368

I've type 2 diabetes and at the moment I don't care for jabbing myself or take the meds that I've been given so it's the case if I die I die.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @Mikeylad5368

I can totally relate! People will be sick of me reminding them how awful I felt when I was diagnosed (I may have said to my husband that I wished I'd been diagnosed with a terminal illness). THEN I found this site. Almost 3 years later I am fine- better than fine. I do take metformin for diabetes but nothing else. I don't jab myself- well I do do regular testing but that is totally my current preference.

So... I get that you feel terrible. It took me more than 2 weeks before I didn't cry everyday. I am a real wuss and a carboholic. Contrary to my doctor's advice but following advice I received here I cut down dramatically on carbs and my blood sugars have been in the 'normal' zone since- so less than 3 months after diagnosis. I couldn't have done it without the advice and support I received here.

So my suggestion is to start by reading around here. I found this site a place full of intelligent and compassionate people. Some of the people I like and respect most in the world I have met here and never met in real life.

The next thing I recommend is to get a meter. If you are like me- a needle phobic the thought of testing will be overwhelming at first. I have found it does get better. There are lots of hints about how to make it better- or just ask here. Know that regular testing does not have to last forever. The point of testing for me was to find the 'sweet spot' (ironically) as to how many carbs my body can tolerate. It turns out for me not many- others can tolerate a lot more than me. Once you know that and can work out meals for that then you won't need to test so often.

Like you I felt that it was hopeless but I have found that it isn't. Read the post in the link that @Antje77 provided. It's a post by one of the intelligent and compassionate people I was describing. Let us know how you are going and how you are feeling and how we can help.

Virtual hugs as well.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And if 'jabbing' is an issue there is modern tech called cgm, continual glucose monitors that attach to your skin and send readings to your phone. No needles involved, but they do cost. One company Abbott who make the Libre give a 2 week free trial.
It really helps to see the readings and to learn what to avoid and what you can eat freely..

It's early days for you yet and it does take time to come to terms with, but it can be done,
Read around the forum for success stories and ideas of what to eat, and do keep posting and asking questions.
Plenty to learn and plenty of time to do it in

Reactions: jjraak and EllieM

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've type 2 diabetes and at the moment I don't care for jabbing myself or take the meds that I've been given so it's the case if I die I die.

Hi @Mikeylad5368

Welcome to club no one wants to join.

@VashtiB & @MrsA2 make good points
As do many others .

As to your opening post ...mmhh

Sadly it's not like a heart attack .

We die slowly, bit by bit

Yet easy enough to do something about it before that happens.

Meter, if you can stand pricking a finger, and it's not forever.
OR
Simply try moderating your diet and wait 3 months for your HBA1c results

They should show a drop, and You could guess
What helped most and carry on doing that.
OR
Just ignore it and do nothing ?

I do however think you looked online for something to help, or You wouldn't have found this forum .

So I'd say...
Read up, make the leap to testing..(it is results on the day of what worked/didn't work)
Helps you work out a diet that works for you.

If the testing IS too much, then adjust diet and trust your instincts

Pretty sure any loss of feeling, digits or limbs or malfunctioning organs , bears heavy on us if that ever happens.
And to think there was something we could have done, but didn't..would be the bitterest of tastes, imho

Stick around, read up.
Then make your mind up
As l'Oreal say
"Your worth it".

Good luck .

Reactions: Outlier

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Or you could read up on the success stories around here & tap us up for advice.

(mod edit)

Last edited by a moderator: