Times to test blood

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

My doctor has asked to test and diary for two weeks

Could anyone advise the times we should test please?

Thank you

finzi1966

If you’ve been provided with enough strips: I would say

On waking (before even getting out of bed)
Before first bite of each meal
2 hours after starting each meal

I’m assuming you’re not on insulin: insulin users probably have a different routine

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you’ve been provided with enough strips: I would say

I’m assuming you’re not on insulin: insulin users probably have a different routine
And depending on your meds before driving

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @lotuslight many of us Type 2's used Blood Glucose meters to adjust our meals in order to control our Blood Glucose.
We do/did that by testing just before a meal and then 2hrs after starting that meal. We aim for an increase of 2.0 mmol or less.
Thus we use a lot of test strips during the first few weeks, until we can predict what our body's reaction to a particular meal will be.

Personally I don't see the point of testing at other times because A). It doesn't help reduce your blood glucose when yo7u don't know which food caused it. B). Many people suffer from from 'Dawn Phenomenon' which is the liver dumping glucose into the blood stream in order for us to go and hunt/gather our breakfast like a cave dweller. And these high pre-breakfast levels tend to be the last levels to normalise, which may take years. So why make yourself unhappy about levels over which you have absolutely zero control!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I follow this plan roughly, except I am out of bed testing my fasting bgl as the call of nature is more urgent than a point of a mmol. ;)