Metformin and CoAprovel

SwissT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed last week I was put on 2g/day of Metformin. Reading up about it seems that there’s an interaction with the blood pressure meds that I’m on CoAprovel which contains HCT (hydrochlorothiazide), this apparently makes Metformin less effective.

I can’t post the link that discusses this as it’s only my second post, but if you google “How to Take Metformin Safely” you’ll find it at goodrx.com.

I don’t see my doctor for a few weeks but will bring it up with him.

Does anyone else take this combination of meds? Or have you had to change medication because of it?

Reactions: Iswole

SwissT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought I'd update this just in case anyone stumbles across it in the forum search or Google. I persuaded my doctor to put me on Aprovel instead of CoAprovel for blood pressure (i.e. same thing but minus the HCT) and sure enough it immediately brought down my waking glucose levels by about 1.0 on average, now always 5.0 or below. There was a rebound in my weight and blood pressure due to no HCT (a diuretic) but that settled down again after about 2 weeks. Conclusion: dropping HCT was good in my case. Consult your doctor of course.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Iswole

I see, I take amlodipine together with metformin, maybe reason for my metformin not working as it should be