Sick day rules for Type2s.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
says page not found but yesterday i noticed my reading were very high...went to bed feeling terrible and slept got up this morning after not eating since tea time yesterday to a reading of 11.2 not had that for a long time and unsure why it is showing this but feeling terrible still...what the heck is causing it ???

I found the link. Hope it works for you and you feel better soon

https://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/Content.aspx?id=18

Reactions: PatsyB

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks.. my glucose level increased recently , now i know its may have been because of the cold i got thanks again

Yes, I'm having trouble getting my BG down over the past couple of weeks but I think I've had a low-level cold (minimal but definite symptoms) too.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
says page not found but yesterday i noticed my reading were very high...went to bed feeling terrible and slept got up this morning after not eating since tea time yesterday to a reading of 11.2 not had that for a long time and unsure why it is showing this but feeling terrible still...what the heck is causing it ???

If it's of any reassurance, my BG has been fine for the past 4-5 years and the regular blood tests have confirmed that, so I've not been too concerned about my T2 and BG, or felt the need to test much.

Having felt rough for a week or so I decided a couple of weeks ago to restart testing and found them all to be above 8, sometimes as high as 15. I've had 11's sometimes on waking up, with hot feet and general sweatiness and readings in the low teens hours after a meal and following my experimenting with low carb days. The only symptoms I've had are a sore throat and slight cough late last week (all cleared up now but still self-isolating) and into the weekend, and I've been sleeping a lot more in the past 3 weeks.

Tried to see the doc earlier last week for his assessment but got a phone consultation with a different doctor and another blood test form. I fully understand that really shouldn't be a priority at the moment so I'm just hanging on and hoping that it was a virus and it'll clear up soon.

marianhf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the info. Just started a set of testing and found my bloods higher than I expected. Think I've got the cold/cough bug my daughter brought home, so that explains it. It's reassuring to have a reason.

Reactions: jjraak

nanamama

Ah, interesting info.

This might partly explain why my numbers seem to have recently become much higher than usual.
Not that i am not entirely to blame but its become a bit of a vicious cycle when ill, feeling sorry for oneself and cheating with foods you know you shouldn't have :D

Had to have a temporary stent installed in January, a stent that is known to cause UTIs. Never had a UTI before but came down with 2 right afterwards and 2 bouts of antibiotics later now dealing with a slight bacterial infection they cant yet diagnose BUT.....this could explain why the sudden increase in my BS levels.

thanks for the new link as the first one did not work

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
new link: https://mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/resources/internal/sick-day-guidance-for-type-2-diabetes/

I honestly haven't been that great since just after Christmas when I caught covid, tested negative after 3 weeks but have not felt the same since and keep coming down with colds, at least once a month, normally more, I never used to have them that often.

Anyway, after a recent sneeze smelt of flowers, I realised something must be up with my blood sugars, so I've started checking my bloods again and have gone back on the metformin.

It's a little bit sad as for a long while I had managed without meds I know my diet slipped at Xmas but I was back to almost normal and then all the illness stuff happened and it has not helped at all. Post prandial has been up at 10s and 11s this week and I didn't even have that when I was first diagnosed (this despite having one meal with 0 carbs just to check it)...but I have been sneezing and my throat is sore and this is just so annoying. Fourth day of metformin and my resting BGS was back below 7 this morning so fingers crossed for everything else.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyway, after a recent sneeze smelt of flowers
That can be a symptom of covid, or of long covid. Not everything is caused by diabetes. Bg will be raised if there are other illnesses/infections going on too

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That can be a symptom of covid, or of long covid. Not everything is caused by diabetes. Bg will be raised if there are other illnesses/infections going on too

I had it for at least a year before I was diagnosed with diabetes (well over 10 years before Covid was around) after I started checking my levels it was obvious that it was linked to when my blood sugar is high, and it's come back every now and then over the years when I've been less careful about my diabetes due to one reason or another. Based on my experience I take it as a warning sign I've been too naughty with my diet or that I need to go back to using metformin if it happens when I'm not otherwise ill. When I tested my bloods were up at 10s and 11s after meals and hovering around and maybe a bit over 7 on fasting...I'm back on the metformin but it's a fast acting one and my pre evening meal level was higher than I would like so I will track it for a week again after I've shifted this cold (never can keep my blood sugar in the right range when I have a cold) and if it remains like that will talk to the docs and probably end up on a third tablet at lunch time. I'm hoping it's just going to take my body some time to sort itself out though as it's early days back to the diet and meds.

bluecreamskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve also had problems with raised blood results but I think it is due to the fact that I have been almost bedridden with sacrolitis lower back pain. GP has upped metformin as I have been on the same dosage since being diagnosed ten years ago. I’m going to be really good with my food intake as I realised I have been really naughty for the last six months! I took it for granted that I could eat anything in moderation but obviously I’ve overdone it My diabetic nurse said yes have the cake BUT as a treat. Not every day.!

Reactions: BigAlan