Smoothies

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone got some diabetic friendly smoothie recipes please? Or is that an oxymoron lol. I try to eat lots of veg but I’m having jaw problems so I’m looking for something easy to eat….thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that smoothies cause large spikes - probably releasing all the insides of the cells by processing the veges makes the carbs easily accessible.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Maybe green veg soup instead? Leeks, cabbage, kale, etc with shredded chicken if you eat that.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try mashes as well, celeriac, swede, Brussels sprouts even broccoli. Plus they can hide a lot of cream and cheese as well...
A stick type blender is useful

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone got some diabetic friendly smoothie recipes please? Or is that an oxymoron lol. I try to eat lots of veg but I’m having jaw problems so I’m looking for something easy to eat….thanks

Try spinach kale celery and cucumber. It keeps my sugar level non rise

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try mashes as well, celeriac, swede, Brussels sprouts even broccoli. Plus they can hide a lot of cream and cheese as well...
A stick type blender is useful
Mash sounds like a great compromise: easier on the jaw, but still solid enough for roughage etc

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe green veg soup instead? Leeks, cabbage, kale, etc with shredded chicken if you eat that.
I do make lots of soups so maybe I will blend them instead….I was just looking at your signature and I have lots of the same illnesses as well, I think my jaw problem is osteoarthritis or fibro…..I’ve lost 3st by eating carefully and low carb, I’d like to lose another stone but I seem to be stuck arghhh

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mash sounds like a great compromise: easier on the jaw, but still solid enough for roughage etc
Yes, I like mash so maybe I can try more mashed things…..unfortunately I can’t eat dairy but I do get the idea of putting in extra stuff for a more nutrient dense meal……

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found that smoothies cause large spikes - probably releasing all the insides of the cells by processing the veges makes the carbs easily accessible.
I did wonder about this, I don’t eat much fruit and wasn’t going for a fruit based smoothie, I think I may stick to homemade soups as I can see what’s going in that and then blend them somewhat.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did wonder about this, I don’t eat much fruit and wasn’t going for a fruit based smoothie, I think I may stick to homemade soups as I can see what’s going in that and then blend them somewhat.
I was blending salad stuff I could eat without problems and still saw spikes so the almost brand new Nutribullet has stayed in the cupboard for 5 years.
I would recommend not blending anything - try grating or make fine slicers. I have a device where you have a holder and run the food across blades to cut it to size, there are various options, and even the finest seems to be OK - presumably because most of the cells remain intact.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The reason you are not getting much response is you would think that a veggie smoothie would be ok, but it's the concentration of ingredients, it is not as bad as a fruit smoothie but do as suggested with soups or a gruel, a watery soup and bear in mind portion control will offset the spike

Reactions: MAGGYNHERKY

Lovin'life

Can you try a protein powder based smoothie/shake, with perhaps some nuts, seeds, oats or blueberries?, depending on how many calories you want in it. It can be made with water or a "milk" of your choice, soaked chia seeds give a thicker pudding like consistency which is quite nice

Reactions: MAGGYNHERKY

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I posted about a severe reaction I had with a smoothie not long ago. At the time I thought it was

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was blending salad stuff I could eat without problems and still saw spikes so the almost brand new Nutribullet has stayed in the cupboard for 5 years.
I would recommend not blending anything - try grating or make fine slicers. I have a device where you have a holder and run the food across blades to cut it to size, there are various options, and even the finest seems to be OK - presumably because most of the cells remain intact.
My nutri bullet is my best friend as I make all my own nut milks! I tend to use a hand held stick blender for my soups as I can blend as much or as little as I want, I like a lumpy soup so don’t blend it much. I’ve got arthritis in my hands so can’t do a lot of chopping………did you mean chopping before cooking? And how do you rate it for ease……I’m always looking for stuff to make my life easier as I only eat home cooked food due to intolerances etc

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apologies for my cut-off reply... cont'd...."thought it was"- hyperglycemia but it was so severe and unusual that it may have been Mango (containing PYCP?) enzyme and resulting in anaphylactic reaction.

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting about the salad stuff as I have a fridge draw full of salad stuff, like organic lettuce which is why I was thinking of making smoothies with it cos I’m not sure about lettuce in soup haha

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies for my cut-off reply... cont'd...."thought it was"- hyperglycemia but it was so severe and unusual that it may have been Mango (containing PYCP?) enzyme and resulting in anaphylactic reaction.
Oh my goodness, how scary! Did you figure it was the mango?

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Kiarna96H

I have breakfast smoothies all the time, as long as you balance out the sugar with fats you don't tend to get spikes. For instance I sometimes have smoothies with scrambled egg and avocado alongside to balance it out, it dampens down the sugar spike.

The smoothie below I can have on its own:
Banana and peanut butter smoothie
- 1 banana
- 2tbs oats
- 200ml milk
- 2tbs peanut butter (either normal or chocolate)

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have breakfast smoothies all the time, as long as you balance out the sugar with fats you don't tend to get spikes. For instance I sometimes have smoothies with scrambled egg and avocado alongside to balance it out, it dampens down the sugar spike.

The smoothie below I can have on its own:
Banana and peanut butter smoothie
- 1 banana
- 2tbs oats
- 200ml milk
- 2tbs peanut butter (either normal or chocolate)
Thank you for the recipe - looks nutritious and delicious;

Reactions: Kiarna96H