Type 2 and normal HbA1c with just diet/exercise

Stupot1

Normally I wouldn't brag about my results as they seem not that unusual for people following a LCHF diet on this forum, so I won't - just the facts.

Three months ago I stopped taking metformin and my HbA1c was 6% - not too bad. I also changed my diet from low carb to very low carb; ketogenic, in fact.

Today I got my latest HbA1c results: 5.6% / 37.7 mmol/mol. Very chuffed.

I got the results from my pharmacist ("chemist" in the UK, I believe); they have access to patients' lab results where I live. She was very happy with my results. She had a colleague there as well who had done our local version of the diabetic educator training. I told them I hadn't been taking metformin for 3 months and they were a bit surprised. The second person then spouted off something he'd learned in his training: only 1 to 2% of type 2 diabetics manage to get and keep control of their diabetes through diet and exercise alone. I was both shocked at this low number and yet not surprised as I knew what they recommend type 2 diabetics to eat. I suspect the percentage of type 2 diabetics on this forum who have had success with LCHF and no meds is much greater than 2%. Anyway, I tried to tell them that the official recommended diet is why that number was so low, but they looked at me like I was speaking Swahili. At least I tried. I have
Congratulations @NoCrbs4Me the system will slowly catch up with us one day until then we have this forum !!!
an appointment with my diabetes nurse this week. It should be interesting.

This forum has been very helpful in my quest to control my blood glucose levels - thanks to all of you!

Nice one and congratulations with your work. I also have had recent success with my changes, back in November 21 I was told I was a Diabetic with a HbA1c of 67 which came from telling the docs how tired I had become. This totally shocked me and found it hard to deal with but looking back was not surprised. However it was a kick up the backside I needed, I was put on metformin 2000mg per day took a serious adjustment at my foods and carb intake, the exercise was increased and intensified. Four months later my results came in at HbA1c of 41, I had lost 2 stone and my energy levels had increased with a totally different mental feeling and can’t stress how much better how I feel, so guys it can be done but will require determination. The docs took me off the meds and now the hard bit with keeping up the work with the life style changes only.
Good luck everyone

Stupot1

Nice one and congratulations with your work. I also have had recent success with my changes, back in November 21 I was told I was a Diabetic with a HbA1c of 67 which came from telling the docs how tired I had become. This totally shocked me and found it hard to deal with but looking back was not surprised. However it was a kick up the backside I needed, I was put on metformin 2000mg per day took a serious adjustment at my foods and carb intake, the exercise was increased and intensified. Four months later my results came in at HbA1c of 41, I had lost 2 stone and my energy levels had increased with a totally different mental feeling and can’t stress how much better how I feel, so guys it can be done but will require determination. The docs took me off the meds and now the hard bit with keeping up the work with the life style changes only.
Good luck everyone
Also I would like to mention that my Cholesterol level had dropped to a new all level of 3.1 which previously averaged 5

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I got my latest HbA1c results: 5.6% / 37.7 mmol/mol. Very chuffed.
You deserve it, you put in the hard work, take a bow

The second person then spouted off something he'd learned in his training: only 1 to 2% of type 2 diabetics manage to get and keep control of their diabetes through diet and exercise alone.

Have a dig in my post history.
I found a 2019 study that included 99% of all T2s in Scotland.
4.8% were classed as in remission, as in A1c <6.5% (48) & no meds.

Anyway, I tried to tell them that the official recommended diet is why that number was so low, but they looked at me like I was speaking Swahili. At least I tried. I have an appointment with my diabetes nurse this week. It should be interesting.

There is a small subset of of medical professionals who have got it.
Not from their training but from what they have observed in the field.
People like you are educating them, not the other way around.

LINMARIE

Good luck everyone

Well done and gives me such inspiration and motivation to get mine under control and to keep up the work by eating healthy and keeping the weight down I am similar to you so I was told in December 21 my hbca1 was 51 and given low dose metformin but I decided not to take and to try and bring this down by radically changing diet to low carb high fat and i have just under 2 stones and so hoping my stats wull be hood when i get retested end April b7r as yoy say irs the dufferent mental feeling to food and feeling fitter is the bit that will keep me going Well done again i love reading these success stories