Diagnosed yesterday!!

Emma2805

I was diagnosed with Type 2 yesterday and I am at a loss of what to eat. I have got to be one of the fussiest eaters know to man!! Can someone please help me with meal ideas? Thanks in advance

Emma2805

Hi @EllieM thanks for the reply.

I like potatoes, pasta, rice, Chicken, Bacon, sausages, steak. Not a fan of lamb. I'm okay with most fruit apart from bananas. Not liking veg is a massive downfall for me!!

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @Emma2805
Unfortunately carbohydrates when digested are converted to glucose and cause our blood sugar levels to rise. So you will need to cut back on the spuds, pasta and rice, the good news though is that you can eat as much steak, chicken and bacon as you want. Be careful with sausages, the high meat content ones are fine but the cheaper one's are filled with rusk and other carby nasties. Check the nutritional info on the package it's total carbohydrate you need to check, not the of which are sugars bit, go for the lowest carb value you can find.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Emma2805 the first 2 items will keep you diabetic unless you are prepared to exercise like an Olympian. These items:

Chicken, Bacon, sausages, steak and all other meats such as ribs.

Can and most likely will put you into Type 2 remission. Those in remission with the top results on this forum eat like the above at the base of their lifestyle and some entirely, as protein and fat are all that is required - the body will make the carbs it needs from these (gluconeogenisis). If it is in your palette it is possible to add strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries - around a quarter to half a cup per day, Greek or similar yogurt, dark chocolate (I do 100% Montezuma for the magnesium everyday).

There will be a temptation to do Keto treats, I would suggest to treat them just like that, the occasional treat, not a main stay of the diet. I do the P.E. Diet version of Keto (Dr. Ted Naiman, with influences from Dr. Eric Westman and Maria Emmerich for Protein Bread). I now take a vitamin D tablet and when using salt the Lo Salt brand to ensure the correct Potassium to Sodium ratios.

Other tips walk after every meal and if possible do some weight training.

Here's what I typically do:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/really-struggling-with-food-ideas.186565/#post-2489937

Last edited:
Reactions: andromache

Blade72

In terms of pasta and rice I've had carbzoneuk rice and pasta which are about 4g of net Carbs per portion which is approx a tenth of normal rice , I've also discovered Soya spaghetti again very low carb , Aldi and Asda do a mung bean based one I use as a pasta and noodles substitute.

I was like you a fussy eater but you will adapt, for example I now have cauliflower mash and it's no different than potatoe mash .

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I just started the carnivore diet a week ago, which is a subset of the keto diet. It might seem a bit extreme but might be worth looking into.