Beta Blockers and Metformin

Suko3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning All,

I've been prescribed a small dose of propranolol and I'm slightly concerned about the interactions with metformin, my GP is unconcerned but diabetes is stated as a caution . I do have hypos with metformin which is a concern with propranolol. I'd be interested to hear of anyone elses experience with this combination of drugs. I take 2000mg metformin and have been prescribed 10- 30mg propranolol as required.

Thanks in advance for any info

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I take Bisoprolol, I also take 2g of Met. haven’t noticed any problems, I am always having hypos, they seem the same now as they were a year ago before I started the BB, following with interest though, best of luck.

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Are you sure you are type 2? I thought metformin didn't cause hypo's, can't say I've ever had it though.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Metformin is not normally associated with hypo's, anything is possible though we're all different after all. Have you checked your glucose levels when you have a hypo to make sure that it not a false one ?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems there are no reported interactions
https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/inderal-with-metformin-1956-1266-1573-0.html

FYI the metformin dose you stated is capable of lowering blood glucose by between 1,0 and 2 mmol/l so if your normal control point is 5.0 mmol/l with diet and exercise, then Met has the potential to give a mild hypo. Modern glucometers have an error allowance of +/- 0.7 mmol/l at this level so could give false 'result; either way.

Suko3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I take Bisoprolol, I also take 2g of Met. haven’t noticed any problems, I am always having hypos, they seem the same now as they were a year ago before I started the BB, following with interest though, best of luck.
Ok good to know, thank you

Suko3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you sure you are type 2? I thought metformin didn't cause hypo's, can't say I've ever had it though.

I have wondered this myself, as has my diabetic nurse, I don't really fit the profile for type II but I was tested for other types of Diabetes about 10 years ago with a negative result.

Suko3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin is not normally associated with hypo's, anything is possible though we're all different after all. Have you checked your glucose levels when you have a hypo to make sure that it not a false one ?
Yes definitely hypos, I had insulin dependent gestational diabetes so I usually recognise a hypo coming on and test my blood. They are not too frequent though thankfully

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes definitely hypos, I had insulin dependent gestational diabetes so I usually recognise a hypo coming on and test my blood. They are not too frequent though thankfully
What kind of levels do you see?