Type 2 Extreme fatigue

rshaskinini

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I’m Type 2 and on Metformin, can anyone suggest a safe energy drink to help with my terrible tiredness please?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @rshaskinini and welcome!

Do you have any idea what is causing the fatigue?

Any tiredness that is not explained by either activity (physical or mental) or lack of sleep - which is how I’d define fatigue - can point to other issues and adding sugar in the form of an energy drink is not likely to help, so I wouldn’t advise an energy drink as the first port of call for fatigue.

Fatigue is something which needs to be checked out by your doctor.

rshaskinini

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @rshaskinini and welcome!

Do you have any idea what is causing the fatigue?

Any tiredness that is not explained by either activity (physical or mental) or lack of sleep - which is how I’d define fatigue - can point to other issues and adding sugar in the form of an energy drink is not likely to help, so I wouldn’t advise an energy drink as the first port of call for fatigue.

Fatigue is something which needs to be checked out by your doctor.

Hi, thx for your reply. I forgot to mention I was on 1 Metformin a day, doc increased to 2 because my blood sugars were too high which is causing the fatigue. Not sure what to think.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thx for your reply. I forgot to mention I was on 1 Metformin a day, doc increased to 2 because my blood sugars were too high which is causing the fatigue. Not sure what to think.

If the fatigue is caused by high blood sugars, then I’d definitely avoid any type of energy drink. Or do you mean that adding the second metformin caused it? Either way adding more sugar is only going to feed the fatigue.

What does a typical day’s food look like and do you take any diabetes medication other than metformin?

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @rshaskinini I was needing to have regular 'nana naps' in the afternoons when I was increasing my Metformin, but I assume as my body adjusted and my blood sugars came down, the fatigue wore off, as I am more active and have more energy now. You may just need to give it a bit of time.

rshaskinini

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I didn’t explain properly. The doc put me on 2 Metformin because my blood sugars were high, doc said 2 Metformin would be needed to lower sugars. The high sugars were causing fatigue, apparently. Thx

rshaskinini

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @rshaskinini I was needing to have regular 'nana naps' in the afternoons when I was increasing my Metformin, but I assume as my body adjusted and my blood sugars came down, the fatigue wore off, as I am more active and have more energy now. You may just need to give it a bit of time.

Oh thank you for you’re reply, appreciated. You have given me hope.

rshaskinini

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the fatigue is caused by high blood sugars, then I’d definitely avoid any type of energy drink. Or do you mean that adding the second metformin caused it? Either way adding more sugar is only going to feed the fatigue.

What does a typical day’s food look like and do you take any diabetes medication other than metformin?

Thx for you’re reply. I usually have Weetabix with Wunda (pea protein milk) and toast (not in the same dish haha), ham sandwich and a packet of crisps for lunch, potatoes with lamb chop or similar and veg for dinner.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin did have a small effect on my blood glucose levels, but it was changing my diet to a low carbohydrate one that brought them back into the normal non diabetic range.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thx for you’re reply. I usually have Weetabix with Wunda (pea protein milk) and toast (not in the same dish haha), ham sandwich and a packet of crisps for lunch, potatoes with lamb chop or similar and veg for dinner.

There’s quite a lot there that won’t be doing your blood sugars any favours - Weetabix, toast, sandwich bread, crisps, potatoes and possibly the pea protein milk (not sure how it compares carb-wise with ordinary milk). The carbs in them will likely be causing steep rises in blood sugars and the subsequent drop can definitely contribute to fatigue.

Cutting down on some or all of those would likely help you enormously. As Zand says, metformin has a limited effect, helping by stopping the liver throwing out so much glucose, but for blood glucose control you really need to eat far fewer carbohydrates.

Do you have a glucometer to test your blood sugars? That can really help with identifying which foods are ‘safe’ to eat.

rshaskinini

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s quite a lot there that won’t be doing your blood sugars any favours - Weetabix, toast, sandwich bread, crisps, potatoes and possibly the pea protein milk (not sure how it compares carb-wise with ordinary milk). The carbs in them will likely be causing steep rises in blood sugars and the subsequent drop can definitely contribute to fatigue.

Cutting down on some or all of those would likely help you enormously. As Zand says, metformin has a limited effect, helping by stopping the liver throwing out so much glucose, but for blood glucose control you really need to eat far fewer carbohydrates.

Do you have a glucometer to test your blood sugars? That can really help with identifying which foods are ‘safe’ to eat.

Oh that’s great info thx, definitely going to change my diet. I was told by doc that I wouldn’t need to check levels as I’m on Metformin, I did test yesterday afternoon and it was 8.4! That’s too high I presume.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Black coffee, add cream to your liking?

Green tea

I used to enjoy a lot of the diet energy drinks, a lot are zero or very low carb, not saying I recommend any though. Pepsi Max, Iron Bru Xtra are low I think. Most sugar free Monsters have at least 2 carbs in if I remember correctly. Coke Zero is another one.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that’s great info thx, definitely going to change my diet. I was told by doc that I wouldn’t need to check levels as I’m on Metformin, I did test yesterday afternoon and it was 8.4! That’s too high I presume.

It’s on the high side, but random readings won’t help much. Try testing immediately before eating and then again 2 hours after the first bite. You’re aiming for a rise of no more than 2 mmols. Any more and the meal needs adjusting.

You might find this guide helpful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

rshaskinini

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Goonergal

rshaskinini

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee, add cream to your liking?

Green tea

I used to enjoy a lot of the diet energy drinks, a lot are zero or very low carb, not saying I recommend any though. Pepsi Max, Iron Bru Xtra are low I think. Most sugar free Monsters have at least 2 carbs in if I remember correctly. Coke Zero is another one.

Thank you, will check them out