Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, good to have you back Karen. Hope you're doing as well as possible.

I have a busy week, clearing out my kitchen before the new one comes next week. Luckily my current kitchen has found a new home so it won't just go to landfill, but I'm afraid of what I'll find lurking at the back of some store cupboards - and how many years out of date it'll be! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Hopeful34 When you said it was ice cubes, it became really obvious! But I had been trying to figure out if it was lumps of butter, no that's fat, mini pastry puffs, no that's carbs!

Reactions: Hopeful34

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Spent yesterday going through the supplies drawer to find kit to send to Ukraine refugees; @Juicyj has put up a couple of addresses in Poland. Amazing how many pens there were. I’ve added pen needles from the current box, lancets, a finger pricker, a couple of frios I no longer need etc etc. I hope when I take them to the post office there’ll be no complicated Brexit paperwork for medical supplies.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I see you’ve already done this @Hopeful34. While we were seeing younger daughter and family, and providing distanced support for older daughter, whose dose of Covid took forever to go away, the diabetes world has moved on.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Spent yesterday going through the supplies drawer to find kit to send to Ukraine refugees; @Juicyj has put up a couple of addresses in Poland. Amazing how many pens there were. I’ve added pen needles from the current box, lancets, a finger pricker, a couple of frios I no longer need etc etc. I hope when I take them to the post office there’ll be no complicated Brexit paperwork for medical supplies.

Hi I did my postage online with Royal Mail to save the faff at the post office, all you need to do is to complete the customs form and once it's attached and you've bought your postage online you just need to hand it over the counter, easy peasy. I found it quite cleansing to get rid of stuff that was in my drawer and of no use to me anymore, but could help someone else, didn't realise how many meters i'd collected, just hope they have the test strips for them. Well done, am glad someone else can help :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Good afternoon peeps, yep the new tabs are doing the job(vipidia) only on a low dose 6.25mg… for starters…told they will up dose to 25 mg soon…
Weather today in Southend 17c very clement

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
That's good Clive.

Have a nice weekend everyone, and I hope that any plans you have work out.

Thankyou @Hopeful34, just work sat and Sunday,I’m a coach driver and have a group to Battersea arts centre sat and Sunday another group to restraunt in wrapping high st…both trips from billericay rtn.
Still work is picking up now

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, morning @karen8967, I was up early today but hung around before posting int he hope we'd see you first :)

Had a weird week, clearing out my kitchen ready for a new one to be installed next week. I'm so happy that friends of mine want my old kitchen as it's in good nick for its age and I couldn't bear the thought of it going to landfill. They started removing it yesterday and will finish it today. I'm doing this because I need a new cooker, and I want a wall-mounted one and drawers instead of cupboards as my knees (torn cartilages in both) are not happy at kneeling on tiles to fetch things from the backs of cupboards, so I decided to do the whole thing. Luckily a friend offered to come and help, so it wasn't as bad as it might've been!

Have a good Sunday all, little bit of sunshine here but I think more rain is on its way. Tired of sploshing through mud to walk my dog....

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@hh1 I had been thinking about new cupboards, but mine really are okay. I've been told they are real wood and that is nicer than most of what you can get here. So I think I will settle for a repaint and new hardware. I had thought about putting some pull out drawers that you can install in a couple of the cupboards. Everything at the back of the cupboards is pretty hard for me to get to with my back and I have my husband pull out stuff when needed. Luckily the things I regularly use are pretty close to the front.

But I have wondered about drawers, it feels like things stacked might topple with pulling in and out? I have large and small glass bowls stacked, and also plastic containers, but maybe really nice smooth hardware might work to stop that? So you will have to let me know how all drawers works out!

I had to laugh when you said you were afraid of what you might find when you cleared out your cupboards. When we moved I hadn't gotten into some areas in my kitchen for over 20 years. I had a huge island filled with my great grandparents china and crystal and mine. I called a sister and said I'm not taking it with me as I never use it do you want it. Old appliances, tons of plastic containers that just kept getting shoved into a huge cupboard. (We had a big kitchen) Punch bowls, glass jars, candles, cleaning stuff, old phone books. A bunch of stuff I never used anymore. Plus I just had too much stuff for the smaller kitchen/house here. The only thing I miss is my grandparents lavender crystal set. But I never used it as I was scared of breaking it and it might not have made it whole shipping it here anyways, so I wouldn't have wanted to chance it.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1634220114943.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Marie 2 I'll let you know how I get on with drawers. I am having a couple of cupboards, but as you said, they'll have pull-outs to save my knees. I'm not worried about stacking things; with cupboards they were probably more at risk by being turned out on to a tiled floor to get to things at the back!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We redid our kitchen just as the pandemic kicked off. Yes, drawers! Nothing but drawers and swivel shelves (corner). They’re brilliant, and you get used to the way things are stacked in them. The only one that’s a bit user-duffed is the slim under sink one where I’ve put too many boxes of grease proof paper etc, but I know the sound of one falling onto the saucepans in the drawer below it. Knees and back appreciate drawers. (Those with an old fashioned dictionary in their heads I’ll think we’re talking about the knee and back saving qualities of big bloomers.)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone else finding that people they know are rapidly coming down with Covid? Maybe it’s the BA.2 strain of Omicron? Who here hasn’t yet had Covid? I’m still very reluctant to put my oldie, well-lived self to the test with it, but beginning to feel that infection’s becoming more and more inevitable.
I’m driving down to Folkestone on Friday, delivering a load of Ukraine donations to BigJigs there, but I fear some of the donations from the Covid-stricken won’t get there until next week at the earliest. BigJigs are taking truck loads across. The latest requests, from a friend who’s helping with the sorting, are for high energy foods, clean blankets and sleeping bags.
I’ve an FFP3 ready and waiting.