cornflakes

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bad especially with milk!!
any cereal will be high carb, and will spike you!
do look at the low carb forum for alternative suggestions.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Bad even for someone using insulin as they have little nutritive value.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Excelllent marketing. Around 80 grams of carbs per 100, dreadful.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
cornflakes good or bad

INGREDIENTS NESTLÉ, CORN FLAKES Breakfast Cereal Cereal Grains [Corn Semolina, Whole Grain Corn (27.4%)], Sugar, Minerals (Tricalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Reduced Iron), iodized Salt (Sodium Chloride, Potassium iodate), Barley Malt Extract [Malted Barley (gluten), Tapioca Starch] Glucose Syrup, Stabilizer (Trisodium Phosphate E339ii), Emulsifier (Monoglycerides E471), Tocopherols, Vitamins [B3, B5, B6, B2 and B9).

Looks pretty bad to me, how on earth do they get all of that into a flake of corn ?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bad even for someone using insulin as they have little nutritive value.

But very tasty and doable with insulin. Not something I eat any longer, but many type 1s eat cereals without any bother.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But very tasty and doable with insulin. Not something I eat any longer, but many type 1s eat cereals without any bother.
Do cornflakes actually taste of anything? It is a long time since I ate any - but I can't remember any taste.
I certainly would not swap for one of my wicked stir fries, with mushroom, tomato, sweet pepper, a little onion, spot of fennel, courgette.....

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is a YouTube video on the Inventor of corn flakes, he was running an asylum!
Which says it all!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Is this really the case, the flakes are essentially sugar. I am aware Type 1's are capable of double diabetes / insulin resistance. As I understand it T1 insulin use attempts to mimic what occurs in so called normal persons, these are the foods that damage them also. I do not believe there are free hits based on the mortality stats / complications with T1 on high carb (normal) diets.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this really the case, the flakes are essentially sugar. I am aware Type 1's are capable of double diabetes / insulin resistance. As I understand it T1 insulin use attempts to mimic what occurs in so called normal persons, these are the foods that damage them also. I do not believe there are free hits based on the mortality stats / complications with T1 on high carb (normal) diets.

Hi, (& good morning.)

In my case. My bolus insulin has a "working profile." (A sort of fixed profile on "paper.) If that is anything like the normal response in a non D? I feel it a pretty good stretch of of the imagination to suggest it is..
There are "variables," like timing of the dose where the site was injecting. Plus other factors too. (One of which is what my basal could be doing in the background?)
Without derailing with detail. I can personally rule out any insulin resistance or DD for me..

Now from what I've come to understand, some of the supermarket own brands are lower in sugar than the "major leading brand?" The OP hasn't stated if they are thinking of a Aldi or Lidl version? We all seem to be kicking the "cockerel.." ;)

What i do know is "cornflakes" don't work for me BG wise on the whole.. (I don't do them, haven't done for many years.)
But, partially down to the milk they swim in? Like liquid pizza for me..

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly, you be better off eating an Easter Egg.
As @Mbaker says above, 80% carbs which turn into pure glucose in your blood.
Makes many non-diabetics spike to diabetic levels.
https://biox.stanford.edu/highlight/diabetic-level-glucose-spikes-seen-healthy-people

The Stanford researchers conducted a sub-study in 30 subjects whose prior blood sugar tests indicated that they were “healthy” (i.e. not prediabetic or diabetic). They were fitted with continuous glucose monitors (CGMs) and alternated between 3 breakfasts; (1) a bowl of cornflakes with milk, (2) a peanut butter sandwich and (3) a protein bar.

Significantly, more than half of the “healthy” group had blood sugar spikes at the same high levels as those who were diagnosed as prediabetic or diabetic [1,7].

Dr. Michael Snyder, professor and senior author of the study said;

“We saw that 80% of our participants spiked after eating a bowl of cornflakes and milk. Make of that what you will, but my own personal belief is it’s probably not such a great thing for everyone to be eating[7].”

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Avoid any cereal with added sugar or better still avoid any if you need to keep the carbs down

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many years ago I watched a program on the making of cornflakes, part of the process removes the bit with all the nutrients (vit & minerals) in, so they then add them back artificially, without the high carb content issue

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is a YouTube video on the Inventor of corn flakes, he was running an asylum!
Which says it all!
Mr Kellog was also a 7th Day Adventist who was very anti meat. His brother was more commercially oriented and started adding sugar to the original product to keep up with the competition from GrapeNuts!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The flakes are essentially carbohydrate - high in starch. When digested the long molecules of starch are chopped up into shorter pieces, which are sugars, and then absorbed from gut to bloodstream which is where diabetics begin to have problems. The problems are different for the different types, and where a type one could use insulin to improve things for many type 2s that's not really an option - though type 2s can be complicated.