Worrying about lows

Colette2231

Hi I am currently 7 weeks pregnant with my first child. I have been having lows during the past few nights. I have reduced my lantus but last night it went down to 2.9. I woke up because I was sweating so much. My libre for some reason did not alarm and when I looked back it said my readings had been low for 4 hours which is worrying. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced lots of lows during the first trimester. I hear a lot about the risk of highs but not so much about low readings. Just worried about the harm it could cause to the baby.

LucieT13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Colette
I’m 6 weeks and the same is happening to me (although lowest I’ve got is 3.7) I wake up from a restless sleep sweating. I’ve reduced my levemir too and I’m going to start having a small snack of about 5g carbs before bed if my BG is under 6mmol. I too have read that it’s the highs that effect the baby not the lows but getting no sleep is making me super cranky!

Queenserene_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
On the issue of the libre alarm not going off, I have had this when my phone is plugged in to charge. Seems to work otherwise. Could just be my phone playing up but might be worth a try (if you have yours plugged in at night) :)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have done 3 diabetic type 1 pregnancies and did find I went hypo early on. I suspect this was because I was terrified of gong high and being super careful with doses etc. I imagine nausea is a problem too.
So I had lows which required A & E treatment yet my babies did all do well and I wasn't ever told that short duration hypos were a problem whereas I was constantly told not to run high particularly during weeks 1=12. Clearly it isn't great to be very low and it it is unpleasant and stressful for you plus you may overcompensate the other way and what your baby won't like is going on that rollercoaster ride with you.
I hope you can find a smooth way through your nights and really enjoy your pregnancy.

Reactions: EllieM and LucieT13

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi, I suffered terrible lows in the first trimester with both my pregnancies, I was told that the lows are caused by the placenta forming. After first trimester a constant steady increase but just had to keep increasing insulin needs. Just speak to your diabetic/midwifery team and I'm sure they'll give 100% support in reducing your needs.
Best of luck with the babies.

Reactions: LucieT13

Colette2231

Thank you all for your replies. I have reduced my lantus and that has seemed to help. Also I am having a small snack, usually a couple of biscuits before bed and that has helped. I am still going low once a night but at least it is not 3 or 4 times like before. With my libre I found that if my phone has less than 40% per cent charge it does not alarm so have made sure it is charging every night now.

Reactions: Emmah89