Migraine

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I get a lot of migraines and I just started testing and my bloods had gone up a lot.

Does anyone else get with headaches and how do you reduce them ?

I know a walk may help but after pain killers I just want to sleep which is likely worst thing I could do.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I get a really bad head with either really high or really low bg... and typically they only go away after a sleep.. ibuprofen sometimes works for me.. have tried codine when quite bad which helps but care needed as it's an opioid

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try drinking a lot of water and increasing your salt intake.
The frequency of my migraines has reduced since I got sugars under control but I still get the odd one and a pinch of salt and an extra glass of water (and a sleep) often works
I'm tagging @Goonergal who has links and info

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @MrsA2 for the tag. @lotuslight I’ll be back (much) later today with a proper reply - need to dig out all the links and I’m heading off to work shortly.

Good hydration, ensuring you keep your electrolytes up are two good starting points.

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much , I had one for 8 hours yesterday and my strong pain meds did nothing it was so bad I could hardly speak , calling doctors today .

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi just to add doctor didn’t think related to my diabetes and I have got migraine meds - thank you

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again @lotuslight

Sorry I didn’t get back to this yesterday, was a very long day! I suffered with chronic migraines for most of my adult life but have not had one since July 2017, since adopting the ketogenic diet.

For me it makes a lot of sense - many of the prophylactic drugs used for migraine (I ran through just about all of them in my time) have a primary purpose of treating epilepsy. A ketogenic diet is often used to treat epilepsy in children……

At diagnosis with type 2, I was treating 6-8 a month (and that was an improvement over matters for the previous few years). I never had aura, ‘just’ the headache and vomiting. They did initially get worse when I first started keto, perhaps because of a combination of carb withdrawal, lack of salt and electrolyte depletion so the advice you’ve been given about that above is great.

I have never been able to find a food trigger for migraines. The only sure things I identified prior to them deciding to leave me were lack of sleep and missing a meal. Now neither of these causes them either. In my case it’s clear to me that they were very clearly related to fluctuating blood sugar levels.

There is a lot of interesting information in this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/for-migraine-sufferers.155890/ and if you run a search on ‘migraine’ you’ll find it crops up fairly often on the forum.

I’d also recommend looking up the work of Dr Angela Stanton who has developed a protocol for treating migraine - she was a sufferer herself. She has a book and also a Facebook group, which is very active and where she takes the time to provide help and support. You can find that here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MigraineSufferers/?ref=share

I really hope you find a solution, they really are disabling and pernicious things. Getting rid of them has been by far the biggest impact of this way of eating on my quality of life.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi just to add doctor didn’t think related to my diabetes and I have got migraine meds - thank you

Was busy composing my reply above so hadn’t seen this. Over the years I’ve run through just about every prophylactic for migraine and finally had a break through in around 2014 and was able to gradually decrease and then stop that form of medication completely (involved a spell in hospital and a lot of perseverance). That still left me treating between 6 and 8 migraines a month with frovatriptan.

It’s really hard to break the cycle!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have both migraine and cluster headaches, predating my T2 by decades.

The worst thing in terms of BS is I get nausea before the headaches and find I only want to eat white carb high foods. However, I drink sugar-free ginger ale when it's at its worst, which doesn't affect my BS.
Sleeping off a migraine if you can is helpful.