CAT or MRI scan - remove CGM first?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Random thought.

If you are having any kind of diagnostic scan which includes an arm, do you have to remove the CGM first?

Either because it will interfere with the scan, or because it is likely to be damaged?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had to remove my hearing aids, and all my rings etc. If i get a pacemaker i will no longer be able to have these scans. Mind you ,the last MRI I had nearly killed me and saw off my kidneys becase of the contrast dye.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a series of MRI and CT scans recently and have always been advised not to wear my Libre. Safer for myself, the sensor and expensive hardware. Last CT said no jewellery, buttons, zips or metal of any kind. I know others have had sensors taken off before an MRI scan could go ahead. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I had a kidney CT and was told the libre sensor would be OK (and it was). The MRI technician, however, asked me if I knew what it cost to refurbish the machine. Off with the sensor!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a CT scan last year and was told it was fine to leave the sensor on - hadn’t even thought about it before I arrived.

More recently I had an MRI and CT on the same day and decided against wearing a sensor - timing would have meant removing a relatively new one if they’d asked me to take it off.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Had the scan and removed the sensor beforehand.

It wouldn't have gone directly into the scanner because I had to hold my arms above my head (which was surprisingly difficult). However there would no doubt have been leakage of radiation.

I checked and there was mention of potential overheating of the sensor.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
MIR take senser off the machine acts like a giant magnet and will rip it of your arm it will also ruin the MRI machine. the ct is normally alright to leave on but it could affect reading afterwards

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Additional note: if you have the dye injection, you have to stop Metformin for a couple of days afterwards until the dye clears out of your system.