Omnipod pump or solo oump

steveo4

I'm due a new insulin pump next year but I would like to know if I can get more choice because at the moment my hospital only currently offer the ypsomed and really want a patch pump. Have I the right to at least be offered more choice?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmm well if you want to buy your own pump you have the choice of all the options, otherwise I think you'd have to make a good argument to the relevant people for why you want a different pump.
I had a choice of 2 (but not really, I use too much insulin for an Omnipod) and the consultants and DSNs are all knowledgeable and experienced in the pumps on offer, personally I wouldn't want to use a different pump without that support, but that might just be me :)

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
In my experience, if you REALLY do your research and you produce, in writing (letter or email), a decent justification why you would like to have a different pump to the ones that they already offer, then you probably find that your team are very receptive.

My team were offering 5x different pumps when it came time for me to have a pump (my first).
I wanted a patch pump, but i take about 140 units a day, so that would not work.

So, i spent ages reading forums, manufactures sites, YouTube vlogs and speaking to other people who actually had the pumps.

I found that i wanted a Tandem t:slim x2.

I made my case, and even justified why they should remove 3 of the other choices (they were out of date and had been replaced with newer models).

They agreed, and my consultant said it was refreshing to have a patient that made her job easier rather than just "asking for more choice".

I can't guarantee that this will work for you, but if nothing else you will convince them that you are serious about what you want.

Good Luck

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmm well if you want to buy your own pump you have the choice of all the options,
I don't think there is an option to buy your own pump in the UK. It may be possible to go through a private consultant and get one but it is expensive - the cost of the pump is only the start.

As for having the "right" for a choice @steveo4 , no I don't think you do. My hospital officially offer one pump because they only have to train their team on one pump, they only have to deal with one supplier, they can start new pumpers more often ... It is cheaper and convenient for them which, given the state of the NHS, I understand and support.

As @Capt-Slog says, you can do your research and request something else. You may be lucky but it is not a given.
I too was lucky - soon after my request for a patch pump, my clinic was offered a Medtrum trial and I was their guinea pig. But it is not a right - I consider it a privilege.

If you want a patch pump, I recommend really doing your research and not settling on the first one you come across. There are more patch pumps available than the OmniPod. When I requested it at my clinic I was told that was the most expensive one.

Make your case (why should you have a patch pump?), review the options (look at all patch pumps) and consider the case from your clinic's perspective (why should they make more effort for you?).

Last edited:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My hospital only have the choice of one pump (unless you have a very very good reasoned case for one that can talk to sensors) - and its either take that one or nothing

But yes as In Response says it may be down to the costs and training for the people at my pump clinic - for instance I managed to get the pump that talks to sensors, my diabetes clinic nurses know pretty much nothing about it as they just haven't been to training on it because most have the other one - they cant even work out how to send me a link so they can see my data (yes they need to initiate it, I cant) ......