Type 1 Ditching Coke for Hypos..

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my diabetic fam, I’ve not checked in for a couple of years but glad to see there’s still some people here. I’m doing much better than I was back then and hope y’all are well too.

My only issue is that when I have hypos (which i’m having more frequently atm) I treat them with full fat Coke.. This was okay at first and I found it really helped & QUICKLY too. However, recently as I’ve been trying to lose weight, I’m finding the Coke is actually making it very difficult. Not to mention the side effects it’s likely having on my teeth etc!

the problem is, it doesn’t feel to me like glucose gels or other sugary soft drinks work fast enough and I get very anxious over it. I need to ditch the Coke but I have no idea what to replace it with. Some people suggest orange squash with a few teaspoons of sugar but neither of these are easy to carry around!

Do any of you have anything you use and swear by for hypos? (preferably liquids!)

Thanks so much in advance and much love and positive vibes to you all.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good to 'see you', great that you're doing better. I use glucojuice which is in a little bottle with 15g of cabs in to treat hypo's. Have you done any basal tests to see if you're having too much background insulin, which could be causing the hypo's?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've got to agree with @Hopeful34 that glucose is the fastest acting hypo cure, and the liquid format might act slightly faster.

How frequent are your hypos? I've got to think that reducing the number of hypos should be a priority here (hypos, oh how I loathe and abhor them), though I appreciate that tightening your control can lead to more of them sometimes.

Are your diabetic team helping you - eg pumps, cgms, better advice on dosing and basal testing...?
And is the need for faster acting treatment out of need or fear? ie how low do you go? How quickly does conventional glucose act for you?

Sorry for all the questions, lots of virtual hugs.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I usually use Lucozade, but sometimes when I can't take the carbonation I use those flavoured milks. If you pick the right ones they have about the same sugar, and can be stored at room temperature. The little bottles of glucose juice taste appalling to me, and while that doesn't matter for treating a hypo, vomiting immediately after downing a bottle means I have no idea how much glucose I absorbed.

My teeth mean anything needing chewing is right out - so far I'm out four fillings and my dentist is unamused.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In your position, I would focus on reducing the hypos rather than changing your hypo treatment.
Someone else mentioned doing a basal test which would be a good start. Then look for patterns with your hypos. Is it a certain time of day or after a particular activity?
Or, is it really a hypo? I say this now 50% of people with Type 1 in the UK are using Libre. Libre is not always accurate which is why it is recommended to always check Libre highs and lows with finger prick tests before treating. And always check hypo recovery with another finger prick
If you have less hypos, you need less full fat coke and the impact of it becomes less.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly Babies every time for me... 7grams of sugar in each little chap! 2 or 3 does for me on the odd occasion I have a hypo.

I'd agree with the basal testing as mine tends to wander with the seasons, more in winter, less from spring...

Reactions: Hopeful34

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys thank for all the questions, the hypos aren’t as frequent as they were a few days ago, I’m doing better and as some of you suggested I think my background insulin needed correcting!

This was more of just an enquiry as I was sick of drinking coke as it makes me feel bloated after!

I think the need for fast acting treatment is because I’ve had hypos in the past that have been a little traumatic and now I always want to treat the issue before it gets too bad. I have good hypo awareness but I can’t find anything that acts as quickly as Coke and as most of you will know, feeling hypo is awful!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Full sugar coke is the only drink that hasn’t had it sugar content reduced I use the small cans of cola and don’t have a problem . I think as others have said reducing hypos will definitely reduce any of the bd effects of cola 15 g of sugar is 15 g of sugar ,
Lucozadw is something I always use but u have to drink far more to get the recommended 15g mini cans of cola give exactly 15g so not a lot to drink

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I use dextrose tables... a flavour I hate else I will just eat them

They normally work quite fast for me