Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I love the 90% dark chocolate and would really love to try 100% one day.

Might be a bit too much and overpowering, although you can buy the 100% from the likes of Amazon.

robertmiskin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But hang on.......i don't understand....shouldn't t2s look for maximum 5.5 grams of sugar per 100 grams of food.....The choc has 14 grams per 100 which is high ???? Thoughts ???

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But hang on.......i don't understand....shouldn't t2s look for maximum 5.5 grams of sugar per 100 grams of food.....The choc has 14 grams per 100 which is high ???? Thoughts ???

All carbs are not created equal.
Sadly.

I can eat a 9bar which has 16g carbs on a 50g bar with no spike to my blood glucose (well, usually less than 1.0 mmol/l)
And I can eat a slice of Liv Life bread (nearly 4 g carbs, I think) and get a spike of 3.7 mmol/l

Unfair? Yes
Annoying? Yes

But it's the hand I've been dealt.
:(
And it's why I 'eat to my meter' not to general diabetic rules that don't suit my body...

Edited to give the carb content of a slice of Livlife

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd like to try a 9 bar but I looked at it once and thought they had a lot of sugar in? Which flavour has the least sugar?

NicP

If my memory serves correct, 85% chocolate is normally about 22g carbs per 100g, 70% is about 35g carbs per 100g.

1/4 cup double cream, 100g dark choc and a knob of butter, heat the cream, melt in the choc and beat in the butter, spoon into petit four cases and cool, gives wonderful truffles, (you can also add flavouring to taste)
Going to give this a go tomorrow.

ZillyBu

I've swopped chocolate for Carob....Carob coated nuts and raisins.... I buy from the nut stall at my local market though they can be purchased from health food shops. Carob is healthier than chocolate and is made from the carob bean. Flavourwise it's like a less bitter dark chocolate.....

Snoben

Hi, I’m a bit confused about the raisins. I know they are not sultanas but do they not also contain lots of sugar. I have been repeatedly told (pre type2 diagnosis) by health professionals that sultanas with my cornflakes was very bad. I
am currently eating porridge with defrosted blueberries or mixed fruit. Still too much sugar?
As a very recently diagnosed person I am keeping to the idea of a balanced diet rather than cutting things out as that never lasts and if I get the munchies because I’ve missed something then I’ll eat far more.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The important thing is the total amount of carbs. A small amount of something with high carbs is the same as a lot of something with low carbs. The idea of only eating foods with a certain percentage carbs is just a rough guide and only really applies to prepared food, like a ready meal for example. For everything else you need to know the quantity, or portion size, as well as the percentage carbs.

Reactions: Snoben

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The important thing is the total amount of carbs. A small amount of something with high carbs is the same as a lot of something with low carbs. The idea of only eating foods with a certain percentage carbs is just a rough guide and only really applies to prepared food, like a ready meal for example. For everything else you need to know the quantity, or portion size, as well as the percentage carbs.
Robertmiskin hasn't been seen for almost 7 years, I'm afraid he won't see your otherwise clear explanation...
Hi, I’m a bit confused about the raisins. I know they are not sultanas but do they not also contain lots of sugar. I have been repeatedly told (pre type2 diagnosis) by health professionals that sultanas with my cornflakes was very bad. I
am currently eating porridge with defrosted blueberries or mixed fruit. Still too much sugar?
As a very recently diagnosed person I am keeping to the idea of a balanced diet rather than cutting things out as that never lasts and if I get the munchies because I’ve missed something then I’ll eat far more.
Yes, raisins are as high carb as many sweets.
As for your porridge, porridge itself has a lot of carbs, so it might not help your diabetes.
Do you use a glucose meter? It's a very helpful tool to find out what sort of foods suit your diabetes if you take a reading right before eating and about two hours after to compare the readings.

For many of us it's not so much cutting out things from our diet as substituting for equally good things! Like in this thread, substituting the high carb milk chocolate for much lower carb very dark chocolate, but with added cream. Or substitute porridge for bacon and eggs for instance (if you like bacon and eggs of course!).

Reactions: Snoben

Snoben

Thanks to all replies, I am not good at counting carbs, calories, and all the other stuff, yet. So far, this is like arcane magic and spell casting. Not that I do any of that either :)
I think with time, I will understand the jargon/technical vocabulary that is common to all 'us' sweet people. The learning curve is currently steep, especially as it's one I don't want. :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to all replies, I am not good at counting carbs, calories, and all the other stuff, yet. So far, this is like arcane magic and spell casting. Not that I do any of that either :)
I think with time, I will understand the jargon/technical vocabulary that is common to all 'us' sweet people. The learning curve is currently steep, especially as it's one I don't want. :)
No need to count anything if you stick to
Meat
Fish
Eggs
Vegetables that grow above the ground
And have limited amounts of
Dairy including cream and cheese
Nuts
Olives
A few berries
Some root veg, carrots etc but these are best tested for to see how your body reacts.

Do you use a blood glucose monitor? That is your best guide
And none of us wanted to be in this club either!

ZillyBu

I've replaced chocolate with Carob, popular in the 70s. Holland & Barrett no longer stock but I buy Carob coated nuts from the nut stall in my local market. You can buy Carob powder to replace drinking chocolate too. Check out the health benefits of Carob on Google.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've replaced chocolate with Carob, popular in the 70s. Holland & Barrett no longer stock but I buy Carob coated nuts from the nut stall in my local market. You can buy Carob powder to replace drinking chocolate too. Check out the health benefits of Carob on Google.
But why? It has more sugar and carbs than chocolate.

Reactions: Nodemus

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Co-op Irresistible Single Origin 85% dark chocolate. 2.6g of carbs per large, very satisfying square

Reactions: MrsA2