HbA1c from 129 to 31

craigc

Finally had a review after just over a year of being diagnosed type 2 diabetes with a HbA1c result that was pretty scary at 129mmol. Due to the extremely high off-the-charts level, I felt I had no choice but to take the route of medication and was prescribed metformin 2 x 500mg a day and alogliptin 1 x 12.5mg a day.

My current HbA1c is now 31mmol and I am absolutely delighted, medication is now reduced to just 1 x 500mg metformin a day and I am hopeful that I can reduce this to none in time as this isn't just a diet, this is a permanent lifestyle change.

In total, I have lost around 6 stone in weight and dropped 6-8 inches in jean size through diet and exercise (mainly walking). On initial diagnosis, I went ultra low carb (keto style) but I found this was not sustainable for me so slowly re-introduced some carbs but in much smaller quantities and always go by my meter to work out what foods are best for me to avoid big spikes, although I will still have the occasional treat which is mainly meals out.

I plan to join a gym this year to take the exercise to the next level and work on fitness, I would like to lose another stone or so to be at a weight I am happy with and will be maintaining the lower-carb lifestyle which I believe is one of the main reasons for my success.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow amazingly well done to you for taking control of your health.
Great results too! Brilliant.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi five Mr. Outstanding, rinse and repeat for the next 100 years.

Reactions: craigc

Karoline

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally had a review after just over a year of being diagnosed type 2 diabetes with a HbA1c result that was pretty scary at 129mmol. Due to the extremely high off-the-charts level, I felt I had no choice but to take the route of medication and was prescribed metformin 2 x 500mg a day and alogliptin 1 x 12.5mg a day.

My current HbA1c is now 31mmol and I am absolutely delighted, medication is now reduced to just 1 x 500mg metformin a day and I am hopeful that I can reduce this to none in time as this isn't just a diet, this is a permanent lifestyle change.

In total, I have lost around 6 stone in weight and dropped 6-8 inches in jean size through diet and exercise (mainly walking). On initial diagnosis, I went ultra low carb (keto style) but I found this was not sustainable for me so slowly re-introduced some carbs but in much smaller quantities and always go by my meter to work out what foods are best for me to avoid big spikes, although I will still have the occasional treat which is mainly meals out.

I plan to join a gym this year to take the exercise to the next level and work on fitness, I would like to lose another stone or so to be at a weight I am happy with and will be maintaining the lower-carb lifestyle which I believe is one of the main reasons for my success.
OMG that's an amazing result and well done!
Do you mind sharing how quick were your readings dropping (if you were using blood glucose monitor of course and if you still remember). I have been diagnosed 9 days ago, my HbA1c was 117 mmol so pretty close to yours and I just keep thinking my levels are not going down as they should... I have been on diet and also exercise and of course taking medication but I don't really know what should I expect if that makes sense...

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
An amazing outcome! An inspirational effort! Well done.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my goodness you are a legend and going to be a role model for me. I was diagnosed at 129.5 a couple of weeks before Christmas and knowing the drop is possible is going to keep me going! Well done:)

Reactions: jessj

craigc

OMG that's an amazing result and well done!
Do you mind sharing how quick were your readings dropping (if you were using blood glucose monitor of course and if you still remember). I have been diagnosed 9 days ago, my HbA1c was 117 mmol so pretty close to yours and I just keep thinking my levels are not going down as they should... I have been on diet and also exercise and of course taking medication but I don't really know what should I expect if that makes sense...

Thank you very much.

Of course I'd be more than happy to share. I started testing about a week after diagnosis, I recorded everything in a spreadsheet so have a complete log and to be quite honest the levels dropped very fast after going ultra low carb, my fasting reading on initial diagnosis was 11mmol, the first week was averaging around 7mmol then the second week I was in the 5-6mmol range average, after about 3-4 weeks I was hitting 4-4.5mmol on fasting and rarely going above 6mmol even after meals so I would say the keto style worked well. After a few months of consistent readings I started introducing carbs again but I started measuring things out and then working out which I need to avoid completely - generally, I stick to around <100g of carbs a day and limit or avoid anything that spikes me over 2mmol (with the odd exception for meals out etc as sometimes it's unavoidable). I think the weight loss also plays a big part, but as most of my weight gain was probably caused by excessive carbs I found the weight came off and stayed off.

Wish I had of booked a review sooner as I'd love to know what the hba1c was after 3 months but COVID hit around that time and I just haven't got around to it until now.

It does make sense, I really didn't know what to expect at first too so you're not alone there, but after plenty of reading and research, I got to grips with things and this forum is a useful resource. What kind of levels are you getting currently and what is your typical diet like? Keep at it, you can do it too.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually, I would say one of the main reasons for your success is…. YOU!

Well done!

Reactions: craigc

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love agood success story, and this is a very good success story.
Thanks for posting it, it will help so many others

craigc

Oh my goodness you are a legend and going to be a role model for me. I was diagnosed at 129.5 a couple of weeks before Christmas and knowing the drop is possible is going to keep me going! Well done:)

Pretty much the same initial diagnosis as me then, and incidentally I was diagnosed not long before Christmas too - not the best timing! Well, I shared this post as obviously, I am proud of the results but also to inspire others - if I can do it you can do it too, you've got this :)

Reactions: Higaomo and jessj

LINMARIE

Wow what a success story and especially as your initial readings were high but came down very quicky. Are you off tablets now?
Well done and keep it up

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This is amazing. More grease to your elbow.