Beer Carb Content

Chrisevans23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

Can't find anything online really to give you an assessment of carb content by beer choice. the obvious choices are the 'Light' ones but i find they just aren't the same.

Would be interested to see if anyone has a good link or has done comparison before? I am currently keeping a spreadsheet of them but would be interested to see if anyone else has done the same

Cheers
Chris

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly "real" beer is high carb, it's known as liquid bread for a reason, I used to drink local micro-brewery bitter (my favourite was called What the foxes hat), but I've had to give it up

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sadly "real" beer is high carb, it's known as liquid bread for a reason
Though many T1's can have it if they can work out how to dose for it and Chrisevans23 is marked as a T1

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: RoughcutAU

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quite alot of low carb beers here, my fav is Marstons Resolution

https://drinkwelluk.com/collections/low-calorie-beer

From that list, I buy a lot of the Moosehead Cracked Canoe since it is inexpensive and readily available in Canada. At 4g of carbs per can, I can pretty safely drink them regularly and stay within a reasonable carb "budget". I've actually come to enjoy this beer more than regular Moosehead Lager, which I now find overly sweet.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before I stopped drinking beer, I was drinking XXXX Gold which is a Australian mid strength low carb beer.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
When I used to drink beer, I'd normally head for a real ale, Blonde, Porter or Guinness. My absolute favorite was Boondoggle from Ringwood Brewery. Mmm
Back in those days, I would be able to tolerate a few pints with a correction dose during the evening, normally I'd have a low blood sugar when I woke first thing, Liver had been kept busy all night I guess.
But that was pre-libre.
Then I found the hangover would just take it out of me completely.
Now I will have an occasional stubby French beer. And for me, I've found just the one I don't need to dose for (they are pretty small), which I find odd that one biscuit can send me high.

cxl0702

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

Can't find anything online really to give you an assessment of carb content by beer choice. the obvious choices are the 'Light' ones but i find they just aren't the same.

Would be interested to see if anyone has a good link or has done comparison before? I am currently keeping a spreadsheet of them but would be interested to see if anyone else has done the same

Cheers
Chris

I never inject based on BG when drinking. It’s not the same you literally **** it away your liver processing it also takes out BG. When ever I have tried to be cleaver it has never resulted well. Normally hypo while out which kind of ruins the night. Or a major crash the following day once the liver has finished going over time sorting out the beer. One thing I have discovered though is avoid more than 4 pints of dark fruit that stuff will literally boil your brain.

RoughcutAU

Being T1D and only diagnosed August last year I have so far been very fortunate with beer. I was never a heavy drinker but do enjoy a few occassionally - on diagnosis i changed to low carb beers but after some testing and a fair bit of research have drifted back to the usuals with the odd craft beers thrown in. The craft beers are the ones that will get you because there isnt always nutritional info available. That said my CDE Dietician gave me advice to always drink with a meal/good carby snack - and dose for food but not the beer and possibly alter amount if need to. I realise this isnt for everyone. The liver processes the alcohol first.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your beer has a barcode, you could use the barcode scanner within the food diary of MyFitnessPal app, to give you the manufacturers nutritional info.

I've used it on bottled beers if the desire for a drink comes upon me. Works with wines and spirits as well.

Reactions: Jo123

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

Cheers
Chris
There's some info on this site: https://getdrunknotfat.com/
that might help you. These days I'm not drinking a lot of beer but I have found that Marston's Resolution is an acceptable low-carb option - about 4g/bottle. It's not the greatest beer in the world but you can't argue with the 4g.

My experiences with the "light" beers have been generally disappointing - they're uniformly thin and watery and lacking in any flavour. I wouldn't have drunk them before and I'm certainly not going to drink them now.