Type 1 Tresiba

Carl W

Hi. I’ve been on 1 injection a day of tresiba and recently been put on another for after meals to bring down the spikes, quick question, is anybody else having a burning sensation when they inject? Is it a normal thing?
Thanks

Beepie

Sounds like you are pressing the pen against your skin too hard or else using the same place to inject each time. If this is not the case have a word with the doc. It shouldn’t hurt or sting .I’ve been taking it for several years with no probs

Reactions: Carl W

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some people find a particular insulin stings when injecting, but are fine on a different quick acting one. Other things to try are making sure you're not using insulin straight from the fridge, as that can sting, and changing the length of the pen needle, and maybe the make of pen needle.

Carl W

Some people find a particular insulin stings when injecting, but are fine on a different quick acting one. Other things to try are making sure you're not using insulin straight from the fridge, as that can sting, and changing the length of the pen needle, and maybe the make of pen needle.

no I use it at room temp, and been told to use the micro fine 4mm needle.
Do I ask to use another insulin maybe?? I know the tresiba one I use at night can sting as it’s a long lasting one. So can sting a little as it’s quite acidic or have I got that wrong? I’m really new to insulin even though I’ve had diabetes for almost 3 years.
Thanks for the reply though.

Carl W

Sounds like you are pressing the pen against your skin too hard or else using the same place to inject each time. If this is not the case have a word with the doc. It shouldn’t hurt or sting .I’ve been taking it for several years with no probs

Ok thank you. I’ve read that the long lasting, acting one may sting a little, but I didn’t think the fast acting one would.. should I ask the to change it to something else do you think?? And also I use different injection sites each time.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
no I use it at room temp, and been told to use the micro fine 4mm needle.
Do I ask to use another insulin maybe?? I know the tresiba one I use at night can sting as it’s a long lasting one. So can sting a little as it’s quite acidic or have I got that wrong? I’m really new to insulin even though I’ve had diabetes for almost 3 years.
Thanks for the reply though.
I'd definitely ask to try a different insulin. It's the preservatives in them that can sting, and some insulins have different preservatives in. Which quick acting are you using? If you change to a different one, and the stinging persists, I'd change to a different make of needle, and/or a longer needle. Any one of these things can make a difference, and often it's a matter of trial and error to find what suits you. We're all different and what suits one person, may not suit another.

Carl W

I'd definitely ask to try a different insulin. It's the preservatives in them that can sting, and some insulins have different preservatives in. Which quick acting are you using? If you change to a different one, and the stinging persists, I'd change to a different make of needle, and/or a longer needle. Any one of these things can make a difference, and often it's a matter of trial and error to find what suits you. We're all different and what suits one person, may not suit another.

I’m using tresiba for both after meals and long lasting too. When I injected couple hours ago (17 units) it stung like hell ‍♂️ left a white circle at injection site ( bit like being bitten by a horse fly) and disappeared after a couple minutes.

Carl W

One more thing to add, I’m using the 4mm 32G needles, maybe I need to go lower in gauge so the opening of needle won’t be so narrow???
Thanks.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I’m using tresiba for both after meals and long lasting too.

Now I'm confused. Are you using two different kinds of tresiba? I know there are different strengths but I thought tresiba was extremely long acting (as in several days) in which case there would be no point in taking it after meals as a correction. Usually it's just taken once a day.

As a fellow T1, I find your insulin regime highly unusual. Usually people take their insulin for meals before their meals...

As for the stinging, my long acting lantus does a little, but not always, and my short acting hardly ever. The lantus isn't bad enough to bother me. Is the problem worse when you are injecting larger doses?

Reactions: Carl W

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m confused too. Sounds a very strange regime.

Carl W

Now I'm confused. Are you using two different kinds of tresiba? I know there are different strengths but I thought tresiba was extremely long acting (as in several days) in which case there would be no point in taking it after meals as a correction. Usually it's just taken once a day.

As a fellow T1, I find your insulin regime highly unusual. Usually people take their insulin for meals before their meals...

As for the stinging, my long acting lantus does a little, but not always, and my short acting hardly ever. The lantus isn't bad enough to bother me. Is the problem worse when you are injecting larger doses?

Sorry, I was wrong, I’m very new to all this, tresiba is the one a day, and for meals I’m using fiasp, yes it does sting more in larger doses.
M, I assumed the fiasp was called tresiba. Sorry for any confusion. My bad.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T2, and injecting 40 units of Tresiba daily. Sometimes, I feel a sting, but this happens when I hit a nerve. Other times, I don't feel a thing. Where do you inject the Tresiba - this might also explain it.

Carl W

I am T2, and injecting 40 units of Tresiba daily. Sometimes, I feel a sting, but this happens when I hit a nerve. Other times, I don't feel a thing. Where do you inject the Tresiba - this might also explain it.

I inject in different parts around the stomach. When injecting 10 units or more of the fiasp?? Injecting the tresiba also hurts, and I’m injecting half of what you’re doing, say around 20-22 units,
Although I have read/heard that a long acting insulting can sting because it’s acidic.