Prescriptions

Joekhaos112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Could anyone tell me if a pharmacy can hold insulin that I need if it is ready to be collected as at the moment I'm having to wait 12 days till I can my medication ( including insulin )

2 days to get repeat prescription

And since Sept of last year having to wait 7-10 days to collect from the pharmacy

Yet on several occasions they have informed me thst my insulin has been ready in 3-4 days yet they won't release it till all muy prescription is ready which is the end of 10 days

Yet if I take a 2 hour bus ride I can get all my medication in 2 days with another pharmacey

Are they allowed to do this if anyone can give me answers or advice on what I can do

I would be greatful

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are they allowed to do this if anyone can give me answers or advice on what I can do
If that was happening to me I would change pharmacies.

My GP gives me the script, I put it into my pharmacy of choice and I get it done while I wait.

I can phone my GP for a repeat script for some of my medication and they will fax it to my pharmacy of choice, and they will deliver it the same day or the following morning.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
f that was happening to me I would change pharmacies.

My GP gives me the script, I put it into my pharmacy of choice and I get it done while I wait.

I can phone my GP for a repeat script for some of my medication and they will fax it to my pharmacy of choice, and they will deliver it the same day or the following morning.

Yes, but I suspect the issue here is that @Joekhaos112 lives in a remote location where there is only one available pharmacy? Plus GPs now seem to like sending the script electronically to the pharmacy?

My pharmacies have always taken my script and given me a partial supply if they couldn't do it all, and my "regular" pharmacy would keep a stock of anything obscure that I used.

However, given that the OP doesn't want to take a 2 hour bus trip, he is a little at the mercy of his pharmacy. What I don't know is whether this is acceptable practice for UK pharmacies or whether he should complain...

@Joekhaos112 have you tried asking your pharmacy whether they will do a partial supply?

Edited to add. Do you know why it changed in September?

Joekhaos112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, but I suspect the issue here is that @Joekhaos112 lives in a remote location where there is only one available pharmacy? Plus GPs now seem to like sending the script electronically to the pharmacy?

My pharmacies have always taken my script and given me a partial supply if they couldn't do it all, and my "regular" pharmacy would keep a stock of anything obscure that I used.

However, given that the OP doesn't want to take a 2 hour bus trip, he is a little at the mercy of his pharmacy. What I don't know is whether this is acceptable practice for UK pharmacies or whether he should complain...

@Joekhaos112 have you tried asking your pharmacy whether they will do a partial supply?

Edited to add. Do you know why it changed in September?
They just put down due to to the on going problems with covid 19 and yes I have managed in the past with a certain pharmacist but since he got replaced they won't do partial they will only do full prescription

And I don't mind the 2 hour bus ride but sue to recovering from a injury I'm not always well enough to sit 2 hours on the bus let alone walk from the pharmacist when I'm like that I have to rely on family to either take me or they have to get it fir me

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And I don't mind the 2 hour bus ride but sue to recovering from a injury I'm not always well enough to sit 2 hours on the bus let alone walk from the pharmacist when I'm like that I have to rely on family to either take me or they have to get it fir me

Maybe you could tackle it from the other end and ask your GP to give you an extra month's prescription in advance so that you never get too low on insulin? I think it's very poor service personally, but I'm not current on this century's English pharmacies. (Left UK in 1999).

Personally I like to always have at least 2 weeks supply of insulin in hand, and my pharmacy does my script immediately.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin should be readily available whenever needed. I am in England I order electronically to Gp. This is sent electronically to pharmacy. I then get a text within a couple of days to say ready for collection. What you are describing is unacceptable and I suggest you contact you contact your hospital team. They can then deal with activating some much needed rockets!!

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I would love to hear them explain why they make you wait? Why not have it delivered? I see ads on the TV for free delivery, according to the ad it doesn’t cost the NHS any extra either.

If they won’t give you a months supply in advance as suggested, just say you left your meds on the bus and need a replacement scrippy, then you never have to worry about their ridiculous delay, my pharmacy is 24-48 hours from me taking 30 seconds to reorder on this patient access ap on my phone.

I hope you get this sorted, seems so unnecessary to be put under extra stress you obviously don’t need. Best of luck.

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was writing this when saw what Fenn had written

So just to say the same thing get your prescription delivered to you.

To have to wait 7 to 10 Days is poor

it’s easy to set up
Does not cost anything & your Doc can send your prescription to whoever you tell them to

there may be a time delay if you live in a very rural area but not 10 Days

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot about the vast distances in England that one has to travel. :(
its not the distances, its the lack of public transport in rural areas, and the winding roads and one track roads which add to travel time and make it difficult. Taxi fares are out of the reach of many on a restricted income too. Sarcasm is unwarranted.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe request that separate prescriptions be issued.
At one time, there was just one fee no matter how many things were on a prescription, but then it was altered to per item.
This problem might be a hang over from that time and the pharmacy uses some software which can only deal with completed scripts.
Requesting that mediation be delivered might also help the situation.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I order mine online and get them delivered by the local chemist. Prescription used to go to pharmacy within 2 days of ordering, it's often 3 days now and it can then take the pharmacy anywhere from 3 days to a week to deliver. They deliver unavailable items afterwards as they come in.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never heard of this, I often pick up part prescriptions as one of my sons is a controlled drug and they don’t stock it. Our GP practice has a dedicated prescription manager who organises all the repeats etc. I’ve just spoken to ours this week to align all the families scripts so they are all ready to collect at the same time as I have problems getting into the chemist. I would call your surgery and explain your situation and ask if they can help. Surely there is something they can do as insulin is a medication you can’t be without

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is something wrong with your system. First get yourself online with the GP surgery so you can order and track the script approval. When approved (after a couple of days or less?) the script will go to the pharmacy which they should fulfil with a few days and make available. You need to find out where the problem is. I keep a good stock of my insulin built-up over many months so I can suffer any delay.

Joekhaos112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is something wrong with your system. First get yourself online with the GP surgery so you can order and track the script approval. When approved (after a couple of days or less?) the script will go to the pharmacy which they should fulfil with a few days and make available. You need to find out where the problem is. I keep a good stock of my insulin built-up over many months so I can suffer any delay.

I use to keep plenty myself but all of a sudden they started only allowing me set number of boxes ( to last a month ) then on my repeat prescription says cannot order till ........ usually the same day I picked up but next month

Joekhaos112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to my pharmacy today ( one I'm having issues with ) abd asked is any of my prescription was ready abd by my surprise most of it was after only 5 days I asked is the insulin ready to which I was told yes so I asked can I have it with in 2 seconds of me asking the manager came out abd told me ' joe how many time do I have to tell you yiu can not have your prescription till it's fully ready .

Hearing the commotion the pharmacist cane out ( the one I like ) asked me what I wanted and I told him my insulin I'm not bothered about the other meds I can pic it up in 5 days abd he told the manager to go get the insulin to which she began to argue with the pharmacist to which infront of witnesses " I will get medication abd give it to him as I'm not being made responsible if he is hospitalised or died

So the pharmacist took me into the private room abd apologised for what happen and set me up and delivered by the pharmacy 2 hours away

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard of this problem if a patient has had a previous issue around suicide attempts or mental health issues.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So the pharmacist took me into the private room abd apologised for what happen and set me up and delivered by the pharmacy 2 hours away

So is this now a permanent arrangement? Problem solved? I wonder if the manager changed in September, when you said the problem started..