New type 2 diabetic

jloo

Newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, feeling quite overwhelmed. Any tips or information would be so helpful

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @jloo I am pretty new (3 months) to this, but honestly it feels like yesterday and forever at the same time. This site and forum are the best things I have found for help, support and information, I would have been completely lost and doing the 'wrong' thing if I'd just gone on the minuscule amount of info I was given by the diabetes nurse!

Have a good read through the posts that look relevant to you and T2 and try not to get overwhelmed, I know it's hard. There will be so much that you don't need to know or worry about, so try not to get bogged down trying to understand everything immediately.

Let everyone know what you HbA1c was and what medication (if any) you are on, and the knowledgeable folks here will be able to point you in the right direction:)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, feeling quite overwhelmed. Any tips or information would be so helpful
Hi @jloo .

Yeah I hear that ..
Exactly like I was once I read up.

It all sounds impossible & complicated right now :sorry:

And maybe it is at first., but I'd say..

Bear in mind, we are what we eat

And for me, ALL I was ever told about food has been wrong .

SO ..Lesson one
Breathe.

Lesson two.
Type 2 diabetics are less able to tolerate carbs
For us they.are like an allergy.
Make us ill, so we lower the risk by avoiding the food with more carbs in

Here's the best place I found to start understanding which foods had the most carbs
And what might be better alternatives

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides

Up for a little homework ?

Try to learn what the carbs are in YOUR daily diet
(Most will be on back of packet..carbs NOT the with sugar )
For others, bacon eggs etc it's off to Google

Then add up that days meals

Most on here try for below 100grams..many more go much lower.

I was shocked when I looked back at mine.

Way way above what I eat now.
Yet I'm happier, less hungry & full every meal.

Come back as said with actual Meals you eat, and you'll be guided as to what to perhaps avoid & what you maybe could try instead.

It's so tough right now.

But on here, you'll get a hand to hold, advice from those who been exactly where you are right now..and with a little effort & you too get the chance to determine how your diabetic journey goes from here .

Best of luck :)

Reactions: Outlier and jloo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Get a blood glucose meter and test 2 hours after typical meals. Keep the carbs down in the diet.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a new day for you.
We could bleat on for hours but simplicity is better at this stage.

(1) Learn how to count carbs.
(2) Get a meter even if your advised against it.

You've come to the right place & the best place

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I am sorry you are feeling overwhelmed though it is a common feeling after diagnosis.

I would second strongly the suggestion to get a meter. A meter is a tool that will let you get feedback about how different foods affect your body so you can make decisions about what to eat to get your levels down.

There are many people on this site who have had great success by dramatically reducing their carb intake.

Read around the forum and ask questions. People are very willing to hep and support you.

It's overwhelming at first and feels like there is a lot to learn but it will get better and will get easier.

You have found a great place to get advice and support.

Welcome and good luck.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Everybody has already has given good advice I would just add the following things:
  • You will make some mistakes when you first start dealing with things, do not get discouraged it happens to everyone. It is a large learning curve.
  • Being angry about having diabetes is natural I was initially angry and turned it into being determined to do everything I could do to fight this beastie.
Best of luck ..........

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak and Outlier