Thyroid issues.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

does anyone here have issues with thyroid? My test results in 2020 were all normal however I just had results back on my recent blood tests and it’s showing my TSH levels being 7.22 (normal 0.35-5.5) they want to repeat a blood test in 3 months.

I’ve checked the symptoms for hypothyroid and I have most of the symptoms (tiredness, muscle aches, dry hair and nails, low sex drive, heavy periods) - i put it all down to poor diabetes control but actually my hba1c came back at 48mmol.

Anyone else have thyroid issues?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
T1 diabetes is an auto-immune problem and so are a couple of the thyroid problems as well so its not entirely uncommon to have thyroid issues when you're a T1, that's why thyroid tests are always included in your yearly blood tests.

I became hyperthyroid about 16 months ago, been on daily tablets for it since and its happily under control. obviously hyperthyroidism is the opposite to hypothyroidism though

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi,

does anyone here have issues with thyroid? My test results in 2020 were all normal however I just had results back on my recent blood tests and it’s showing my TSH levels being 7.22 (normal 0.35-5.5) they want to repeat a blood test in 3 months.

I’ve checked the symptoms for hypothyroid and I have most of the symptoms (tiredness, muscle aches, dry hair and nails, low sex drive, heavy periods) - i put it all down to poor diabetes control but actually my hba1c came back at 48mmol.

Yes, I think so. I am on 0.112 Synthroid but since medication switches, the balance may be off. I feel as if I have hyperthyroidism, though both hypo and hyper can share the same symptoms and there is a variability of overactiveness during the day, but sleeping OK now. I would like to know if there is a relation to insulin dose if anyone here knows. My recent TSH result is: 7.14mlU/L, Normal range 0.40-4.40, so high I think, others say smack in the middle.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I was told many years ago that type 1 and under active thyroid go hand in hand , i've been on levothyroxine tablets for as long as I can remember and never had any problems !

Reactions: Chloelox

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Hi Chloe, I'm not T1, but do have thyroid challenges.

As others have said, thyroid challenges can be auto-immune, or not. Mine are not.

As a T1, you should be having more than your TSH checked as that only measures your thyroid stimulation hormone, with no consideration for antibodies. To have a real look at thyroid function your TSH, FT4, T3 should be tested as well as thyroglobulin and thyroid peroxidase antibodies. Ideally Vitamin D, Folate and Ferritin would be done too, as the thyroid won't function at it's best if those vitamins and minerals are off kilter.

Those with auto-immune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's) are sometimes started on Levothyroxine, even if the TSH isn't excessively elevated, but I doubt a GP would ever do that.

Nice guidelines do not usually support treatment for hypothyroidism until the TSH reaches 10. In other countries the diagnostic threshold is much lower. However, for those who have a TSH of 5+, plus symptoms, a 6-month trial of Levothyroxine may be considered.

That last part is worth remembering for next time around, if your symptoms persist. NICE Guidelines, sections 1.5 - 1.5.4 have information for you: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng...ed-thyroid-dysfunction-or-thyroid-enlargement

The thyroid really is the cornerstone of our whole metabolic health, so is important.

Reactions: gemma_T1

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I've got a lazy thyroid (hypothyroidism) and had it for years and years before I was diagnosed with T1. I've been on Levothyroxine and everything seems OK

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
SELFISHNESS AND GREEDY PEOPLE :)
Hi,

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
SELFISHNESS AND GREEDY PEOPLE :)
Yes! I had my thyroid removed six years ago because of cancer and Hashimotos desease. At the time I was given a high dose of levothyroxin, 100 mg. I used to take 70mg before the op.. My latest result was TSH 3.7 ! Like me, you will probably be given a higher dose. After two blood tests my dose has been increased twice. I am now taking 170 mg.. Waiting the next blood ! It really is a waiting game. Hope you feel better soon.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have hypothyroidism.
My GP said it was "subclinical" and to wait and see if it sorted itself out (I think my TSH was 9) and I did that for a while but then went back and said I'd like to start medication and they agreed. I started on 50mcg levothyroxine and am now on 100mcg, although my TSH levels were 'normal' on 75mcg o_O

Beepie

Yes I too take thyroxin and have done for 35 years I am type 1 and have been for 50 years . I have no side effects at all pertaining to my diabetes

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes I too take thyroxin and have done for 35 years I am type 1 and have been for 50 years . I have no side effects at all pertaining to my diabetes
I'm type 2. There is a change of overactivity since med switches; but I should have added that I am addicted to clonazepam for more that 3 decades (steady minimum dose), and that may be a factor if it is time to increase it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My failed thyroid was diagnosed (eventually) many years before type 2 and I took 200 micrograms of Thyroxine for decades.
Now I am down to 125 micrograms - after 5 years of consistently low carbing, as opposed to being badgered to do low fat high carb every year or so. I used to have annual checks, but have been having reduction in dose and rechecks every few months.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My failed thyroid was diagnosed (eventually) many years before type 2 and I took 200 micrograms of Thyroxine for decades.
Now I am down to 125 micrograms - after 5 years of consistently low carbing, as opposed to being badgered to do low fat high carb every year or so. I used to have annual checks, but have been having reduction in dose and rechecks every few months.
Did you find a change in activity or mood according to changes in your thyroid dose?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was quite high when tested after the closedown, and having reduced my dose I am a bit calmer, I think, and sleeping a little better.