HbA1c 94 to 34 in 3 months

Higaomo

Was diagnosed in October with an HbA1c of 94. Immediately put on Metformin and told to cut out carbs as much as possible. I stuck to this strictly and have had a pretty miserable last 3 months, but stayed focused on the 3 month review.

Had my 3 month blood test on Monday and the diabetes nurse rang me yesterday morning to tell me that my HbA1c is now 34! So the last 3 miserable months appear to have been worth it...

She’s halved the dosage of Metformin and said I can start reintroducing a small amount of complex carbs in my diet (not every meal and not every day) and she’ll check it again in 8 weeks.

I’m fully aware of how easy it would be to go mad and undo all the hard work, so I will be cautious, but I’m very happy with the 34!

I’ve also lost another 30lb (50lb in total) and am now a ‘healthy’ BMI for the first time since about 1994.

Higaomo

Thank you both :)
Yes, I’m grateful that I haven’t experienced some of the struggles getting support from the GP practice that some others have. (eg I was given a blood glucose monitor to use on my first visit and no problems ordering test strips or lancets). I’ve been given options about treatment, because she understands that what suits one person might not suit another. I believe, from comments she’s made, that the nurse has diabetes herself, so has experience and understands in a way that another might not.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You got great advice from a special DN & acted on it, well done you on a great result.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was diagnosed in October with an HbA1c of 94. Immediately put on Metformin and told to cut out carbs as much as possible. I stuck to this strictly and have had a pretty miserable last 3 months, but stayed focused on the 3 month review.

Had my 3 month blood test on Monday and the diabetes nurse rang me yesterday morning to tell me that my HbA1c is now 34! So the last 3 miserable months appear to have been worth it...

She’s halved the dosage of Metformin and said I can start reintroducing a small amount of complex carbs in my diet (not every meal and not every day) and she’ll check it again in 8 weeks.

I’m fully aware of how easy it would be to go mad and undo all the hard work, so I will be cautious, but I’m very happy with the 34!

I’ve also lost another 30lb (50lb in total) and am now a ‘healthy’ BMI for the first time since about 1994.

T2D here as well.

Congratulations.. marvellous achievement.

Noted the 'miserable', though

I too got back to normal numbers ..a longer time then you, mind
3 months 58mmol to 42 mmol
6 months until I got from 58 to 40.mmol

I've seen many posts where the ND was involved at first (not suggesting it's what you used)...and worked brilliant, in the losing weight and bringing down HBA1c.

But what to do after..always seems the real hurdle

Such a shame to undo such good work.

Could I ask if you looked into LCHF, as a diet/ lifestyle.?

Sure You must be doing s lot of similar things,
It Is just I never felt miserable doing it once I got comfortably reassured it was doing the right things for me,

and my BG and lipid panels showed me just how well it was working, for me
In fact I was eating very well, rarely felt hunger like I used to

It seemed less of a diet & more a shift in my eating style & pattern .

Sure whatever you do, with such discipline & determination, you'll succeed

Again congratulations....marvelous achievement.

Reactions: wendy22

Higaomo

T2D here as well.

Congratulations.. marvellous achievement.

Noted the 'miserable', though

I too got back to normal numbers ..a longer time then you, mind
3 months 58mmol to 42 mmol
6 months until I got from 58 to 40.mmol

I've seen many posts where the ND was involved at first (not suggesting it's what you used)...and worked brilliant, in the losing weight and bringing down HBA1c.

But what to do after..always seems the real hurdle

Such a shame to undo such good work.

Could I ask if you looked into LCHF, as a diet/ lifestyle.?

Sure You must be doing s lot of similar things,
It Is just I never felt miserable doing it once I got comfortably reassured it was doing the right things for me,

and my BG and lipid panels showed me just how well it was working, for me
In fact I was eating very well, rarely felt hunger like I used to

It seemed less of a diet & more a shift in my eating style & pattern .

Sure whatever you do, with such discipline & determination, you'll succeed

Again congratulations....marvelous achievement.
What is “the ND”, please?

The day I was diagnosed I immediately cut out as much carb from my diet as possible - the only carbs I have been having is 1 slice of low carb bread (toast - the only breakfast I can stomach at 6am) and what was in the fruit and veg I ate.
I am still going to stay low carb with my diet, just not quite as low as I previously restricted myself to. I am allowing myself a small amount of carb (eg one small roast potato or one Yorkshire Pudding with roast dinner, but not both) - I am very aware that I cannot ever revert to my previous way of eating (using the Eatwell Guide, which advises carbs as 1/3 of the plate, which I always thought was a healthy eating plan!). I feel that will be much easier for me to sustain in the long term.

It was the higher dose of Metformin that made me miserable - constant low level nausea, made worse by the smell of cooking (which meant I’ve eaten very little hot food in the last couple of months) and a horrible taste in my mouth (like overripe/rotten fruit).
Since reducing the dose a few days ago these have almost gone now.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, sorry.

ND is a UK initiative.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/newcastle-study-600-calorie-diet.html

3 months of hard dieting consuming only 800/600 calories a day.

Many on it get good return in weight & BG levels.

Though i did see stats that by year 2/3 many failed to keep up progress.

Personally I think it is that step over to maintaining a reasonable diet, beyond the hard 800 Cal's....

Which is where I consider myself lucky to have made that step over day one, with LCHF.

From what you describe, I guess you weren't far off that?

I found the old "eat to your meter" adage to be the best advice.

I liken it to a detective game.
Eat the food
Test it's affects on your BG levels at 2 hours.
If higher then 2mmol adjust portion size or remove any suspect items.

Admittedly food list gets shortened at first, but
quickly gets filled up again once you go off the usual SAD (Standard American diet) and try lower carb alternatives to rice, pasta, potatoes.

I found this the best early days guide to swaps, if you haven't already found it yourself

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides

Best of luck finding a suitable way for You .

• Useful
Reactions: ravensmitten

Higaomo

Thanks
Yes, now I’m starting to experiment with reintroducing small amounts of starchy food back into my diet (I’d imagine it’ll mainly be in the form of a small potato or an additional slice of bread every now and again - I don’t like rice and am really not bothered about pasta) I’m checking my BG before and 2 hours after eating. I’m writing everything down so I can spot any patterns and, although it’s early days, it seems to be going ok

Reactions: ziggy_w

Higaomo

I’m doing my best
I became a grandparent in December and being as healthy as possible for my granddaughter is a massive incentive

Lionel12

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I've never had a HbA1c over 9.0 %. This is in Germany. Do you use a different scale of measurement? Germany uses mg/dl but % for HbA1c only - very confusing.

Granofseven

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Bravo!!

Reactions: Higaomo

Higaomo

I have an update...

After my January blood test the nurse halved my Metformin dose, from 1000mg twice a day to 500mg twice a day, and for the last 8 weeks I have slightly increased the amount of carbs in my diet - now averaging 70-80g a day (increased from well under 50 in the first 3 months after being diagnosed), which feels much more sustainable for me in the long term. The nurse expected this would result in a small rise, but at 34 she said that would be fine. I’ve also lost another 10lb (makes 60lb in total), dropped another dress size and my BMI is 22.5

Had another blood test yesterday morning. The nurse rang me this afternoon with the result - 33. Now she’s concerned that if it continues falling my blood glucose could go too low...

She’s told me to stop the Metformin immediately and continue eating as I have been eating for the last couple of months. Next blood test in another 8 weeks time...

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak and Joona