Newly Diagnosed getting over the shock

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Take a look at Jo's blog https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
It's a useful introduction for the newly diagnosed. Keep an eye on your levels, use your meter to learn what different foods do to your blood sugar. Bear in mind that low carb can be very effective at lowering sugar levels and with your medication there's a possibility of going too low. Keeping a note of your meter readings along with a food/drinks diary can help spot things you need to change or cut out of your diet. It could also help your Dr figure out if you need more or hopefully less meds.

LINMARIE

Well done on taking steps to tackle it head on, and can't stress how much it helps to have someone supportive at home.

Whatever the numbers you get on the 23rd, you've made a great start and things can only get better from here!
Hi Kate
Just seen your stats you dropped from 94 to 46 reading in 4 months in the same year is that correct? Wow how good is that. Are you doing a no carb diet or a diet that I have seen where you fast and then eat Newcastle I think. I am so desperately trying to absorb as much positive information that I can and I have dropped a stone already on a low carb diet within 3 weeks so I am well chuffed and into the zone to get my readings down from HA1C 51 (reading Dec 21) in May this year but I am mindful that I may not be one of the lucky ones but are you on tablets at all? I did not take mine as of yet but wow what a positive story to read. Keep it up!

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @LINMARIE

I was put on insulin when diagnosed in hospital, and took that for a bit until things stabilised, and then started Metformin - initially 2 tablets a day and gradually stopped the insulin. Was supposed to up the tablets to 4 a day but just couldn't (3 had bad side effects, 4 was tantamount to biological warfare!). DN agreed to stick to 2 a day, and I'm still taking them. Not entirely sure how much they do though...

As to food, I have cut down obvious carbs massively - no pasta, rice, potatoes, and hardly any bread - and look carefully at the nutritional info on things I buy. I try to aim for no more than 10% per 100g as a rule of thumb. I definitely still eat some carbs, and don't count my carbs per day, but those that I eat are carefully chosen and have been tested with the meter so I know they don't have too bad an effect on BS (no rises of more than 2 mmol after a meal).

Eating low carb has led to significant weight loss for me - in fact I now need to work out how to slow it down and get to maintaining rather than losing.

I still make mistakes (plenty of them) but I try and learn from them and not stress too much about it.

You'll find your own way. It takes a bit of trial and error, and you need to be gentle with yourself as you go, but persevere and you'll get there. Especially with the support of the forum.

Pammypants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being cold
On low carb the weight loss does slow down. Keep on the low carb plan as you still need to lower the HbA1c bit more. The metformin bouts the rise in the sugar levels it a good drug to be on.

LINMARIE

On low carb the weight loss does slow down. Keep on the low carb plan as you still need to lower the HbA1c bit more. The metformin bouts the rise in the sugar levels it a good drug to be on.
Thanks Pammy yes I am aiming to bring down the levels a lot more within the next 6 months. If no change then I would have no option but to take the Metorformin but when I read the side affects I wanted to give this lifestyle change and diet a good go and also I have been so impressed with the success stories so I haven't ruled it out just not for now and anyway I wouldn't have been any the wiser to all this had I not had had other blood tests done for another endrocrine problem at the hospital.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Blade72 and welcome. I wish we could clone your wife - there is a fortune to be made!

Blade72

Hi Blade72 and welcome. I wish we could clone your wife - there is a fortune to be made!
Thankyou I will pass on the complement. I'm still sticking to my lifestyle, I've eaten out and had a treat this week naan and rice first in 3 months. But yesterday we went to a nice cafe and I had a hybrid breakfast vegetarian of spinach and Avacodo, combined with high meat content sausages, bacon and mushroom. Black coffee and we added our own cream.

Reactions: MrsA2 and Dr Snoddy

Russell G

Hi all had a blood test done two weeks ago and I am 1 point off of remitting diabeties. My journey has been clear since being diagnosed on the 16th jan onwards and upwards and I have lost nearly 31/2 stone since then

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is such good news! Well done for all your efforts. You put the work in and it has paid off.

Smallbear

Hi, I got diagnois in late Jan this year after routine bloods for something else. Also found I have low thyroxine levels which makes losing weight harder. I go back in April for repeat bloods to confirm diagnoses. Like you i despaired going round supermarket and ignoring the old favourites but now I'm learning to be sensible. Portion control is a biggie for me, i was putting way too much on my plate, I'm using sweetener in tea but still have the odd cuppa with sugar. I've cut down on bread and cut out white bread, eating less rice and potatoes and more veg. I'm not weighing myself (will get repeat weight done when bloods next done but i know i need to lose at least 2 stones) but my clothes are fitting a wee bit better and i hope once on thyroid meds, things will speed up. After a recent car accident i still can't cycle or sea kayak so I'm limited to walking just now but trying to do more. You're lucky to have the support of your wife, and i look forward to reading about your positive progress - we've got this!!

Reactions: jjraak

Annecordelia

I wish my wife was that supportive, you're very lucky.
i'm convinced mine is trying to do me in, she keeps bringing home things like Mince pies ( i'm the only one in the house that would touch them, and struggle to resist), sausage rolls, M & S cheese tasters basically wotsits. Anything i should not eat.
I have to cook my own meals. She seems to think i'm eating weirdly so it's up to me to sort it.
Same here really. I've been T2 for 4 years now and it's been a real struggle. My husband is lovely but he doesn't get it. And when he buys booze he buys me chocolate. I've read Dr Fung and know what I need to do, but I've now got a box of metformin which I'm plucking up the courage to open and start taking. I'd love for someone to help me take charge of my eating.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Same here really. I've been T2 for 4 years now and it's been a real struggle. My husband is lovely but he doesn't get it. And when he buys booze he buys me chocolate. I've read Dr Fung and know what I need to do, but I've now got a box of metformin which I'm plucking up the courage to open and start taking. I'd love for someone to help me take charge of my eating.
Suggest to your husband that he buys you flowers instead of chocolates? What have you been doing to try and control your diabetes up until now? Many people find Metformin to be a very useful drug with few or no side effects and it may be helpful in supporting a change in eating habits even in the initial stages.

LINMARIE

I found the health benefits of losing weight and eating a healthy diet soon out way the short term fix of stuffing my face , I feel better now than I have ever been and wish I had started earlier .
This what you said is so true Same with me i enjoy food and appreciate what I am eating more and seeing the results in my body shape chamging please me more than an iced bun washed down with a coffee sachet that i was addicted to

Reactions: Outlier and jjraak

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Suggest to your husband that he buys you flowers instead of chocolates
Or cheese? :)

Like others now I've been through the initial period and few months as the weight fell off, now I love my new figure, and it seems easy to keep it if I stay low carb. In the past it would have gone back on within a few months. Been this weight for 18 months now, and enjoying it