Type 1 Omnipod users

heatherparris

<I have been using the dash omnipod since Dec 2021 and every time I put a new pod on I get high blood sugars for about 4 hours after and I give myself extra units of insulin and blood sugars still take a while to go down, I have tried leaving the old pod on for 4 hrs even though it is disconnected to see if some insulin residue comes out but no it does not. Does anyone have this problem?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi heather.

I too experience this problem. When I asked for advice from the pump team here I was guided to increase my basal rate by 30% for a couple of hours before changing my pod. The other suggestion was change my pod just before giving a bonus. They had found this helps insulin to be absorbed following the “trauma “ caused by the cannula being inserted.

Not sure if this is any help. Good luck in managing this issue

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's a lot of us Omnipod users with this issue and some oddly who don’t, I do most of the time but not always, no logic to it at all. To combat it I leave the old one on for a few hours but also do a temp basal of 40% for 2 hours if it’s on an underused area or really un fatty place such as high stomach and do a 70% for 3 hours if on my thighs or glutes. Mostly this works and if not I do a small basal. It’s not a tried and tested method and my insulin rates are low which might be a reason why the new pod takes a while to bed in. Good luck, it’s a pain!