Hopeful and smiling again

Hello!

I am popping on here to share support to you all and to say thank you! My name is Natasha I am 45 years old 5 foot 11 and 77kg and live in the UK and work as a music photographer.

Last year I had the most awful summer with debilitating pain in my side for months! I tried several times speaking with private and nhs doctors but everything was done on zoom etc and nothing in person. Once I insisted on an in person appointment as the pain was unbearable the doctor immediately booked me in for ultrasounds and blood tests. My hba1c came back as pre diabetic at 47 and I had suffered multiple severe gall stone attacks hence the pain! Prior to the gallbladder issues I had been walking 7km a day and my bmi was and is healthy so it all came as a shock and no diabetic symptoms etc

I got this diagnosis just before Christmas so you can imagine I cried as it was over the phone and no real support. I should add that my brother is T2 and losing his sight and and has had amputations, my mother was also T2 but with good control for 30 years! So I have always tried for the past 20 years to avoid sugar totally and eat low fat etc I found this forum straight after my diagnosis and I now know so much more than I did about how carbs are the issue and I have stopped eating whole grains, most fruits etc and my new hba1c is 38 after just a few months of low carb. I feel full of energy again!

I am so thankful to everyone on here! I know I still have a long road to travel to keep my hba1c stable or lower but I don’t feel alone thanks to this forum and I want anyone who has a pre diabetic diagnosis to know that you can do it!

Love to you all x ❤️❤️❤️

P.s I always hated bananas so very glad to not have to feel like I have to eat them anymore!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @Forevergrateful . So glad you are feeling better and thanks for sharing your story.

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I've heard low fat dieting can cause gallstones. My partner had done weight watchers and was 'fat phobic' for years and had to have her gall bladder removed just last year.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard low fat dieting can cause gallstones. My partner had done weight watchers and was 'fat phobic' for years and had to have her gall bladder removed just last year.
Anyone can develop gallstones. I've never followed a low fat diet in my life and still had my gallbladder removed.

Reactions: Forevergrateful
Anyone can develop gallstones. I've never followed a low fat diet in my life and still had my gallbladder removed.

Yes totally I agree seems like gallstones are present in lots of people without them knowing! Mine got bad once I had a very early menopause onset, everything hit at once! I increased my soluble fibre intake and refused surgery. The pain went away thankfully but aware it could return! Hope you have a lovely evening!

Reactions: Antje77