Treatment type
Diet only

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, but it also has 0.7g carbs more than the Fage. So which you choose depends on whether you prioritise lower carb or higher fat. I go for the lower carb.
Indeed and as my macros have a little more wiggle room I would probably go for the fat content..

tophope

wow this thread started 4 years ago and still no improvement in uk supermarkets . Why is it that Aldi in the USA has tons of Low Carb/Keto products yet Aldi UK has so very little ? Don't we deserve low cost , low carb foods such as bread , wraps , ice-cream in UK . The few things like that , that we can find in our supermarkets are at premium prices. I for one cant afford to pay £5 for 6 low carb wraps

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
wow this thread started 4 years ago and still no improvement in uk supermarkets . Why is it that Aldi in the USA has tons of Low Carb/Keto products yet Aldi UK has so very little ? Don't we deserve low cost , low carb foods such as bread , wraps , ice-cream in UK . The few things like that , that we can find in our supermarkets are at premium prices. I for one cant afford to pay £5 for 6 low carb wraps
Then again it could be said that it keeps the addiction to that kind of food alive.
Oppo ice cream is relatively low carb and has little effect on my blood sugars (although I rarely buy it these days) but the bread based stuff is simply best avoided entirely in my opinion. Just eat more of the filling instead.

tophope

Then again it could be said that it keeps the addiction to that kind of food alive.
Oppo ice cream is relatively low carb and has little effect on my blood sugars (although I rarely buy it these days) but the bread based stuff is simply best avoided entirely in my opinion. Just eat more of the filling instead.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how can you class Oppo ice-cream as low carb when its 44g carbs per tub and 28g of those are sugar

According to this, it’s 14g/100g with only 40g in the whole tub.

23135450-60CD-4DE3-8602-E4A62C17F1DF.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how can you class Oppo ice-cream as low carb when its 44g carbs per tub and 28g of those are sugar

I didn't used to eat a tub at one sitting and I experimented with it and found it was ok, hence my statement about my own blood glucose results.
It was a suggestion but feel free to not eat it (i don't any more).
Plenty of almost zero carb food is available in UK supermarkets meat and fish for example.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is it that Aldi in the USA has tons of Low Carb/Keto products
Do you have any examples with their nutritional information? Are you sure they are really low carb/keto or just labelled as such.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Because my home help is on maternity leave and I have no regular support for now I've switched to ready meals part of the week plus disposable cutlery (bio), but that means only one or two suitable salads with fish and about 3 of the ready meal curries are low enough. This plus roasted chicken is getting boring.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because my home help is on maternity leave and I have no regular support for now I've switched to ready meals part of the week plus disposable cutlery (bio), but that means only one or two suitable salads with fish and about 3 of the ready meal curries are low enough. This plus roasted chicken is getting boring.
Tesco do a low calorie ready meal (which is also low carb) Chicken in mushroom sauce with green beans and baby potatoes 22.3g, and the Cod Mornay with mash and peas is 31.4g if you can take that much.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Tesco do a low calorie ready meal (which is also low carb) Chicken in mushroom sauce with green beans and baby potatoes 22.3g, and the Cod Mornay with mash and peas is 31.4g if you can take that much.

That sounds delicious, and am guessing you could always not eat the potato if the carbs are bubbling over carb ceilings?
Pre covid my UK low carb T2 dad was subsisting on ready meals, and there was definitely some variety if you could go up to 30g, but of course that may be too much for many T2s...

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My twopennorth.

There was an egg salesman interviewed on TV who said that he sold a lot more eggs when he wrote Free Range on the box.

There was a market stall seller who asked this forum if we would be willing to buy diabetic food from a stall. The answer was no. He took it to mean we were snobbish. I told him I wouldn't buy it from Harrods either. He didn't know about low carb, he just wanted to write 'Diabetic' on the box and make some money.

My supermarket joined forces with D.org and held a raffle. As you checked out you were given a raffle ticket. I asked if I could see the prize. It was a wicker basket full of chocolates. I made a note not to trust the supermarket when dealing with diabetic matters. If they sold 'Diabetic' food I would run away. Can you imagine a supermarket chef deciding what was good to put in it.

We all know (or should know) that low fat food is made palatable by adding sugar and only sells at all because of the decades old scare about fat started by Ancel Keyes.

I intend to trust my own judgement and buy low carb ingredients and cater for myself. If you stay out of the pizza aisle and the fizzy drinks aisle there is plenty to choose from.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My local butcher sells low carb meat, ham, bacon, chicken for diabetics, he's does not sell those meatless meat products though.

Australian supermarkets sell plenty of low carb food including the meat items if you are prepared to do a bit of research, as we did when we first went online shopping with the Woolworth's app a couple of years back. The shopping list has regular updates when ever we see a new recipe idea appears on this forum or elsewhere.

I would post my shopping list but ~100 food items take up a lot of space when you paste into the forum.

Reactions: valuator