Autonomic Neuropathy

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

I know I've approached this subject before, but does anyone have any experience in the autonomic nervous system? I have been diabetic for 23 years under fairly good control, however recently have had been admitted to hospital, it was found that my Autonomic nervous system has substantial damage approaching complete failure.

I know there is not a cure, but as yet no one has actually explained what this means for my quality of life or life expectancy?

does anyone suffer similar, if any advice would be muchly appreciated.

thank you

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Were you told the cause of the disorder in your case ? If you can describe the symptoms, you might track people down who are going through the same. Re diabetes I believe that gastroparesis is linked to damage to the background nervous system that regulates our background nervous system. As you are in hospital I am guessing that this is perhaps not necessarily related to diabetes. I hope you can find some answers !

Reactions: EllieM

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
It's the "N" word: Neuropathy. I think I may have it, but it could entrapped spine nerves or even anxiety. What kind of tests were used for you?

David1963

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Celebrity culture
Strange, is it that rare, I'm the only one with this problem?
Hi, this is my husband's account - I believe he has autonomic neuropathy which causes him to have bowel issues, dizziness on standing sometimes and I also wonder if some of the inconsistency that he has about the same meal causing differing blood sugar rises may be down to gastroparesis. The bowel issues may also be down to exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. He has never really spoken to his doctors about this for some reason that I don't understand! There is a lot of stuff about DAN on google - I have randomly picked one study from a good source: Autonomic Neuropathy in Diabetes Mellitus (nih.gov)
and one from this site Autonomic Neuropathy - Heart, Stomach, Sweat Glands & Sex Organs (diabetes.co.uk)
Hope that helps!!

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, this is my husband's account - I believe he has autonomic neuropathy which causes him to have bowel issues, dizziness on standing sometimes and I also wonder if some of the inconsistency that he has about the same meal causing differing blood sugar rises may be down to gastroparesis. The bowel issues may also be down to exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. He has never really spoken to his doctors about this for some reason that I don't understand! There is a lot of stuff about DAN on google - I have randomly picked one study from a good source: Autonomic Neuropathy in Diabetes Mellitus (nih.gov)
and one from this site Autonomic Neuropathy - Heart, Stomach, Sweat Glands & Sex Organs (diabetes.co.uk)
Hope that helps!!
I wonder if it's not possible to have neuropathy with hypoglycemia, as well as the commonly reported hyperglycemia.
I notice that my a.m. switch insulin, instead of bed time, reveals a hypo spike which may not be noticeable at night, if there is such a thing as reactive hyperglycemia; maybe the body struggles to get a "homeostasis" and after the Dawn phenomenon, we don't get the average no. upon awakening. Just wondering.

David1963

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Celebrity culture
I wonder if it's not possible to have neuropathy with hypoglycemia, as well as the commonly reported hyperglycemia.
I notice that my a.m. switch insulin, instead of bed time, reveals a hypo spike which may not be noticeable at night, if there is such a thing as reactive hyperglycemia; maybe the body struggles to get a "homeostasis" and after the Dawn phenomenon, we don't get the average no. upon awakening. Just wondering.

Hi, not sure I understand what you mean... But neuropathy develops after years of high blood sugars. Once established the symptoms shouldn't really come and go with different blood sugars...

Reactions: MargaretR

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, not sure I understand what you mean... But neuropathy develops after years of high blood sugars. Once established the symptoms shouldn't really come and go with different blood sugars...
Sorry to think that it's "permanent".

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Were you told the cause of the disorder in your case ? If you can describe the symptoms, you might track people down who are going through the same. Re diabetes I believe that gastroparesis is linked to damage to the background nervous system that regulates our background nervous system. As you are in hospital I am guessing that this is perhaps not necessarily related to diabetes. I hope you can find some answers !

Hi, I basically have the following issues/conditions

Postural hypotension
Diabetic Retinopathy
Microalbuminuria

Charcot foot - Two operations so far, yet to be successful :(
Gastroparesis

and some of the
systoms

Collapsing episodes
Blood pressure fluctuations

Palpitations
Dizziness/lightheaded
Headaches
sweating hot/cold - teeth chattering
shivering
pale face
blurred vision
inability to stand steady
rapid breathing/breathlessness
dry mouth
numb feet/hands, sharp shooting pains
Nausea/vomiting/diarrhoea
extreme tiredness
pain on both sides of my stomach
lower back pain
itchy skin
swallowing - my throat seem to retract and i cannot digest

in most cases unable to sense my glucose levels going low anymore?
getting up 4-5 times during night for toilet

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, I basically have the following issues/conditions

Postural hypotension
Diabetic Retinopathy
Microalbuminuria

Charcot foot - Two operations so far, yet to be successful :(
Gastroparesis

and some of the
systoms

Collapsing episodes
Blood pressure fluctuations

Palpitations
Dizziness/lightheaded
Headaches
sweating hot/cold - teeth chattering
shivering
pale face
blurred vision
inability to stand steady
rapid breathing/breathlessness
dry mouth
numb feet/hands, sharp shooting pains
Nausea/vomiting/diarrhoea
extreme tiredness
pain on both sides of my stomach
lower back pain
itchy skin
swallowing - my throat seem to retract and i cannot digest

Wow! That's an encyclopedic list of symptoms. What is/are the cause/s?
in most cases unable to sense my glucose levels going low anymore?
getting up 4-5 times during night for toilet

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry for a possible glitz - using a laptop and then answering from here when reply did not appear. Try again:
"Wow! That is quite an encyclopedic list of symptoms.! What is the cause or causes for all?"

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry for a possible glitz - using a laptop and then answering from here when reply did not appear. Try again:
"Wow! That is quite an encyclopedic list of symptoms.! What is the cause or causes for all?"

Have been told its all down to my autonomic nervous system. its approaching complete failure. these are the symptoms i generally get when feeling ill and need emergency care.