Treats and blood sugar

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello I am now testing my sugars with hopes of bringing it down.

But my question is for instance I really craved low sugar ice cream yesterday so I had some since it was the weekend and despite it being low sugar my sugars still went to 12.

But we have to live right.
We can’t never have a treat

So I’m trying to sacrifice carbs for tea time instead.

Do you do this sometimes eg maybe at weekends, despite knowing your sugars will rise or is this the very thing that will ruin my hba1c ?

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since diagnosis (T2, keto, in remission) to make life easier, I expunged the concept of treats that were poison to my BG readings and maintained "treats" that either came into the keto range or weren't food/drink at all. It's a lot easier than it sounds and better in general for the morale. Otherwise IMO we are just fighting ourselves and setting ourselves up for problems that are easily avoided.

Might not suit you, and is a concept not a criticism. Might help someone else.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you fancy making your own there's a good, easy recipe for avocado based "mint ice cream on Ditch the carbs that you don't need an ice-cream maker for. I'm sure you could add other flavours instead, but as it's green a little cognitive dissonance might occur

PeterFarrell

Hello I am now testing my sugars with hopes of bringing it down.

But my question is for instance I really craved low sugar ice cream yesterday so I had some since it was the weekend and despite it being low sugar my sugars still went to 12.

So I’m trying to sacrifice carbs for tea time instead.

Do you do this sometimes eg maybe at weekends, despite knowing your sugars will rise or is this the very thing that will ruin my hba1c ?
My Dr says moderation in all things including moderation. So as long as it is a treat and not regular i do it. I am 70 and not going to live forever. If i listened o the DR's all day i would only eat vegetables and turn into a ruminant.

Reactions: mummycaz

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

Trouble is low sugar is not the same as low carb necessarily and lots of those items labelled low sugar have some seriously dodgy ingredients particularly the sweetener used. Maltitol is common and spikes many people as badly as sugar does but with the added drawback of digestive issues for many. Bulking agents like maltodexrose and dextrin can also cause spikes even if there aren’t calories to be considered. If the ice cream concerned is Franks it is labelled diabetic friendly despite not being so and the industry guidance says not to label food as diabetic friendly in the U.K., and they choose to ignore this.
The best option imo is to make genuinely blood glucose safe treats yourself. Oppo Ice cream is tolerated in small infrequent amount by many on here as a pre bought option. Also redefining what you consider a treat helps a lot too. Double cream, butter, bacon, cheeses or non food items perhaps.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lotuslight
I'm one of those that needs a treat every so often, but I have had to learn to find treats that don't spike me too much. That 12 reading would mean I didn't indulge in that particular item again. As posters above have said, alternatives that suit both your bg and your lifestyle can be found. For example I bake low carb cake using Truvia, a sweetner I know both my gut and my bg doesn't react to too much. But I then cut each cake into 16 squares and freeze them. Then I try to only eat 1 square at a time, and not every day. That way it remains a special treat rather than a common every day occurrence.
You are still in the early stages of learning, so learn from your ice cream, plan for your next treat and soon your body won't want so many treats. I'm still learning every day, and it's my 2 year diagversary coming up next week

Keep working at it, soon will be a way if life that let's you enjoy lthat life

Reactions: Larissima

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Low sugar doesn't necessarily mean zero sugar... and certainly may not mean low carb....

A potato is low sugar but packed with carbs...

The main thing is you are testing and you'll find stuff that works for you.. if you don't try you won't know... the odd thing I've found d that has almost no effect is grapes.. yet they are quite high sugar wise

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started adding a few treats back into my diet. What seems to be working for me and not effecting my bloods are 80% - 90% Lindt chocolate, cracker bread with smooth peanut butter on. Gullon do a lot of sugar free treats like dark chocolate digestive buscuits ( my fave ) etc and you can pick them up from Homebargins for a £1. Sugar free sweets seem to be working ok like Fruit Tella. Makes a nice change from meat :) I also noticed that nutella with coco is low carb spread but not quite as low as peanut butter
The wife cooked some welshcakes last week and used canderel bake instead of caster sugar and i was ok but i only ate 1 a day and after a year of meat it was wonderful. Just check everything with your meter and see how your body reacts as we all different
Will leave my post here to show where you can go wrong about adding treats back into diet when diabetic and not sure what you doing. Like HSSS said " My experience of adding a little treat here and there (without apparent issue initially) has led to a lot by a process of slippage that went unnoticed for a while and now I’m battling the old cravings again in trying to get rid of the new bad habits which isn’t fun "

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started adding a few treats back into my diet. What seems to be working for me and not effecting my bloods are 80% - 90% Lindt chocolate, cracker bread with smooth peanut butter on. Gullon do a lot of sugar free treats like dark chocolate digestive buscuits ( my fave ) etc and you can pick them up from Homebargins for a £1. Sugar free sweets seem to be working ok like Fruit Tella. Makes a nice change from meat :) I also noticed that nutella with coco is low carb spread but not quite as low as peanut butter
The wife cooked some welshcakes last week and used canderel bake instead of caster sugar and i was ok but i only ate 1 a day and after a year of meat it was wonderful. Just check everything with your meter and see how your body reacts as we all different
The sugar free biscuits you mention are still carb heavy so others might want to proceed with extreme caution there.

My experience of adding a little treat here and there (without apparent issue initially) has led to a lot by a process of slippage that went unnoticed for a while and now I’m battling the old cravings again in trying to get rid of the new bad habits which isn’t fun - so a secondary concern to be well aware of.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had an interesting conversation with one of the diabetic nurses after my 3 month checks last week and I'm just going to throw this out there, without expressing an opinion, that, not verbatim but what I came away with:

Diabetics should not lose sight of the fact that managing diabetes is not just about keeping your blood sugars as low as possible/in range, but it is all about stopping the complications that arise from letting blood sugars run high for extended periods. One treat, high carb meal or sugar hit will cause a spike, fact, but if this is infrequent, like your birthday, or Christmas lunch, she even suggested a once-a week event, and BG returns to 'normal' levels shortly after, there is little chance of increasing the risk of damage. However it is human nature to do it over and over, risk it becoming a habit, or self-control being lost that we need to be more wary of.

She was talking about folks like myself who are not insulin dependent and have been able to control their BGs with no/minimal medical intervention, (so not all diabetics), and only you know yourself how strong your will power is and if total abstinence is best.

:)

Reactions: Lainie71 and EllieM

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One treat, high carb meal or sugar hit will cause a spike, fact, but if this is infrequent, like your birthday, or Christmas lunch, she even suggested a once-a week event, and BG returns to 'normal' levels shortly after, there is little chance of increasing the risk of damage. However it is human nature to do it over and over, risk it becoming a habit, or self-control being lost that we need to be more wary of.

She was talking about folks like myself who are not insulin dependent and have been able to control their BGs with no/minimal medical intervention, (so not all diabetics), and only you know yourself how strong your will power is and if total abstinence is best.

And that’s what I thought after nearly 4 yrs of staying well on track without too much distress or effort. Just a treat here and there. Human nature took over even after that amount of time. And now I have to claw it back and fight the cravings and lose the weight all over again. Really not worth it. For me avoiding it entirely is easier.

Reactions: Mrs HJG

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And that’s what I thought after nearly 4 yrs of staying well on track without too much distress or effort. Just a treat here and there. Human nature took over even after that amount of time. And now I have to claw it back and fight the cravings and lose the weight all over again. Really not worth it. For me avoiding it entirely is easier.
I think I am strong willed but not sure I could go as far as once a week without drifting - there are enough 'good' treats when 'going without' to keep the cravings at bay (90% Lindt Excellence/sugar-free jelly); but I won't fret maybe a cupcake on my birthday (when it's gone its gone, unlike as whole cake). I guess she wanted me not to lose perspective of why I need to keep my BG down.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I am strong willed but not sure I could go as far as once a week without drifting - there are enough 'good' treats when 'going without' to keep the cravings at bay (90% Lindt Excellence/sugar-free jelly); but I won't fret maybe a cupcake on my birthday (when it's gone its gone, unlike as whole cake). I guess she wanted me not to lose perspective of why I need to keep my BG down.
I thought I was too, and once a week is what started my slide.

But yes I agree, the goal is to have good long term health not just perfect numbers today.

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
I had an interesting conversation with one of the diabetic nurses after my 3 month checks last week and I'm just going to throw this out there, without expressing an opinion, that, not verbatim but what I came away with:

Diabetics should not lose sight of the fact that managing diabetes is not just about keeping your blood sugars as low as possible/in range, but it is all about stopping the complications that arise from letting blood sugars run high for extended periods. One treat, high carb meal or sugar hit will cause a spike, fact, but if this is infrequent, like your birthday, or Christmas lunch, she even suggested a once-a week event, and BG returns to 'normal' levels shortly after, there is little chance of increasing the risk of damage. However it is human nature to do it over and over, risk it becoming a habit, or self-control being lost that we need to be more wary of.

Thanks for this it’s been a year now and I’ve not had a treat my bloods were 54mm then 36mm then 35mm now my last one was 31mm I have round about 50 to 70 carbs aday but I would like a trea ton Mother’s Day if I dare to lol what type of treats do you have and how often. I’m no on any medication I’ve done it through diet and exercise xx thanks

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The sugar free biscuits you mention are still carb heavy so others might want to proceed with extreme caution there

Thanks for the advice HSSS. Will be more mindful of suggesting things and will edit the my post about being careful

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for this it’s been a year now and I’ve not had a treat my bloods were 54mm then 36mm then 35mm now my last one was 31mm I have round about 50 to 70 carbs aday but I would like a trea ton Mother’s Day if I dare to lol what type of treats do you have and how often. I’m no on any medication I’ve done it through diet and exercise xx thanks
I literally have a square or 2 of the Lindt 90% chocolate or a jelly to satisfy my sweet tooth and I'm sure they are not exactly what most people would call a treat. I think the nurse was just trying to put things into perspective and not to obsess on the BG readings (as I am prone to do) as individually they mean nothing, its the consequences of high BG longterm we should be more worried about - BUT I take issue with most things the nurses tell me, so feel a little uneasy at picking and choosing the things that I want to hear.

Logic says one spike (which might not turn out to be huge) per couple of months isn't going to cause longterm damage. I went to Pizza Express and 'spiked' at 7.3 from 5.1 - over +2 as recommended, but still only 7.3, I beat myself up for a few hours until I put that into perspective! (It was one of those paper-thin pizzas with a big hole in the middle full of salad!).

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bake low carb cakes and scones now and then, when I fancy it. But not as a ‘treat’, just because I feel like a bit of cake. But I have no difficulty in restricting myself to a single slice a day, not because I need the control but because that’s all I want. If you knew what a cake-fiend (and biscuit-hound, etc) I was pre-diabetes, you would be utterly flabbergasted to think I could go weeks without it, and have it in the house for several days and not scoff it all at once.

This happy state of affairs is what keeps me on the the straight and narrow. For me, carbs are massively addictive and I just do not want to awaken the sleeping dragon. I have said here before, since going low-carb, I am free of food cravings and have broken the relationship between food and comfort and reward. I do not want to start thinking of food as a ‘treat’ again, it’s just food. Tasty, pleasurable, satisfying, but no emotional attachment any more. I value this freedom and peace of mind more than I can describe.

Get your treats elsewhere, whatever else floats your boat!

Reactions: Mrs HJG and Outlier