autonomic Neuropathy

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

Hopefully someone here would've had some experience on this subject.

I'll try and be brief! I'm type 1, and have been for 24yrs. I have suffered from a broken foot for the past 4 years now (Charcot foot) and had 1 operation to fix in 2017 and another in 2021 which I'm still recovering from, however now being told that the 2nd has also not been successful. I have recently just been told that I have substantial damage to my autonomic nervous system approaching complete failure.

would anyone know if the ANS would be effecting the healing process or even halting it completely?

any information or advice would be appreciated,

thank you,

Jon

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
On another note, has anyone been successful in claiming for PIP - Personnel independence payment, as i have been of work now for sometime, sick pay has stopped and now only SSP and I read here that PIP can be claimed by diabetics.

t1dluke

Hi Jon,

Your autonomic nervous system is responsible for many passive processes such as digestion and heart rate. High blood sugars over time can cause the neuropathy of these nerves that control these processes and lead to all kinds of unpleasant symptoms.

I haven't been diagnosed but I feel as if I have mild autonomic neuropathy, I have Episodes of palpitations, shakes, whole body weakness, raised blood pressure, chronic acidic burping and diarrhea, particularly at night. I believe this is related to the malfunctioning of my autonomic nervous system.

Diabetics take longer to heal in general because the high sugars interfere with the healing process. The only way to halt progression or reverse the complications is to control blood sugars and ideally get them into the normal range approx 4.9-6 mmol/l consistently which is easier said than done!

I believe the autonomic nervous system plays a major role in the healing process as well. Numerous neuropeptides that are secreted by the sensory and autonomic nerve fibres play an essential part during the distinct phases of wound healing. I'd say autonomic failure would slow this process down.

I hope you're getting on well, really sorry to hear about your situation.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@t1dluke I hope you can get a checkup if you want one. I was diagnosed more than 20 years ago with Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome Dysautonomia, which affects my autonomic nervous system. One of the symptoms was compared by a doctor back then to having one's engine revving all the time instead of idling.
I am looking forward to moving back to the city where I received this diagnosis, to get a checkup at the same clinic.

mattuk

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Olives
I was told I had autonomic neuropathy about a year ago. Its horrible and my consultant has warned me that it is irreversible and life limiting. If anyone could advise me of how they cope or what treatment they have I would be so grateful.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was told I had autonomic neuropathy about a year ago. Its horrible and my consultant has warned me that it is irreversible and life limiting. If anyone could advise me of how they cope or what treatment they have I would be so grateful.

dito, it's a pain that for sure.