Seed crackers M&S

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots in Carlisle Kingstown store today, not reduced so I’m assuming they are selling ok in this particular store

Reactions: jessj

mike944

Making your own is easy. Milled flax seed for the base. Add any seeds, seasoning, dried herbs you like and mix. Add just enough water to create a paste. Roll flat between two pieces of baking paper. Remove top piece of paper and score the flattened flax into squares with a knife. Slide bottom piece paper with crackers on top onto a baking tray and stick in oven at 160c until hard, cracker like.

10 mins prep and about 20 in the oven

Reactions: jjraak and jessj

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those 2 recipes are close and I have used them both, and will do again, but I'm trying to replicate the m&s one more closely. I think its to do with the ratio of seeds (and no pumpkin seeds), and I don't think the M&s ones are baked or cooked, they don't have the dark colour ot toasted taste. I think they might be rolled and dried somehow. I'm enjoying playing but keep running out of seeds :)

And on a different topic I just found a packet at the back of the cupboard, use before 01/10/ 21. As I have a tin full of home made ones it will be a few days yet before I open it... what do we think folks, Will they be OK?

Reactions: jessj and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those 2 recipes are close and I have used them both, and will do again, but I'm trying to replicate the m&s one more closely. I think its to do with the ratio of seeds (and no pumpkin seeds), and I don't think the M&s ones are baked or cooked, they don't have the dark colour ot toasted taste. I think they might be rolled and dried somehow. I'm enjoying playing but keep running out of seeds :)

And on a different topic I just found a packet at the back of the cupboard, use before 01/10/ 21. As I have a tin full of home made ones it will be a few days yet before I open it... what do we think folks, Will they be OK?

Yes absolutely! Nature designed seeds for longevity after all.
I’ve sometimes found the crackers go a bit softer when the pack has been open a while but I’m sure they’ll be fine if still sealed. The only things I pay attention to use by dates for is fresh meat and fish.

I think you may have a point about the drying rather than baking, I hadn’t thought about it but these dont taste like cooked seeds do they?
Got the last 2 packs at A30 services M&S in Cornwall this weekend, also reduced to half price.

Reactions: jessj

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just stumbled across this recipe on Diet Dr:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-seed-crackers
I’ve made these. They are ok. Haven’t been able to get the M&S ones so I can’t compare.
Also there’s this one I’m planning to try https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/wheat-free-crackers/ but to be fair with any recipes like this i use the basic idea and then use whatever seeds etc I have, regularly swap out individual ones I don’t have or like and add in herbs or chilli or garlic etc.

Reactions: jessj and Rachox

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At least there are recipes around that are similar'ish. I'll give them a miss though, as I've only got an oven style air fryer, I can picture seeds stuck all around it if I attempt to make some. Grated parmesan takes off! :woot:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Do it.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal reports new variety!

Please can anyone say if they find any anywhere South of London? I'm halfway through my last packet bought in September!

Oh, that packet had a best before date of 0111/21 and it is fine, not stale at all opened today

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My M&S has restocked ( at original price of £1:80) but Cornwall is maybe a bit too far south for you @MrsA2 .They also had the new cheese and onion flavour. Slightly higher carbs (3.3 I think) but still ridiculously low for crackers.
I’m embarrassed to say I cleared the shelf of the originals.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal reports new variety!

Here they are. Never tried them, just knew people here would be interested.

5FC1E4F1-3981-43A8-91A7-4C5B209417C2.jpeg

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got the cheese and onion one yesterday- have to say I can’t detect much difference in the flavour, a slight onion taste to the new ones but didn’t get any cheesy taste. Plenty of stock in both Carlisle stores.

what it may mean with the introduction of the new flavour is that they are not considering discontinuing them. Also I have seen lots of exactly the same product under different names on the internet the last 2 or 3 weeks, don’t ask me where/when as I didn’t take much notice, sorry

Reactions: Lindap118

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Totally agree, definitely rolled, from memory one of the ingredients is xanthan gum, I suspect this is what holds the seeds together through a very very strong roller then dried, may be hard to replicate but maybe worth a go?

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Know this is an old thread but thought I'd tweet ocado re getting the super seed crackers on the site as I can't get them in our local M and S. They tweeted back 'keep your eyes open'! Cryptic, but maybe a few more tweets will help to put the pressure on!

ps. I know not everyone uses ocado but it's a start!

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fingers crossed.
I did get some a few weeks ago and am rationing them out.

Keep up the pressure on social media, although they must have spotted how quickly they re going off the shelves.
Says made in South Africa so I suppose we need to allow for manufacture, transport and the blessed logistics

Reactions: Tori71