What just happened ?

Fifi2022

I’m type 2 diabetic on 500mg metformin 3x a day . Today something really scary happened to me . I made myself a omelette for lunch and took my 500mg metformin . I had a slight headache so took a nap . After I woke up I was going about my day I had a small slice of cheese & tomato pizza within 5 mins I began to sweat , my ears felt blocked and I felt funny , I had to rush to the toilet and had diarrhoea . I wasn’t sure if my blood sugars was low or high so I had a glass of water . My blood strips finished today (just my luck ) so I was unable to check if I had low or high blood sugar. I’m very scared after that experience and not to sure what to do . I also feel a little spaced out and fatigue . Is anyone able to tell me if they have experienced this and what it can be ? Thank you in advance x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people report that Metformin makes a good laxative and maybe that's all that happened. The slow release version is not so bad but if you are already on the slow release version and you feel the tablets caused it then you should report it to your nurse as an unacceptable adverse side effect.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi @Fifi2022
I can't offer any real suggestions as to what could have caused your symptoms but dashing to the toilet and diarrhoea are a well known and common side effect of metformin. And your blood sugar levels are extremely unlikely to be low after eating pizza, no matter how small the slice

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 2 diabetic on 500mg metformin 3x a day . Today something really scary happened to me . I made myself a omelette for lunch and took my 500mg metformin . I had a slight headache so took a nap . After I woke up I was going about my day I had a small slice of cheese & tomato pizza within 5 mins I began to sweat , my ears felt blocked and I felt funny , I had to rush to the toilet and had diarrhoea . I wasn’t sure if my blood sugars was low or high so I had a glass of water . My blood strips finished today (just my luck ) so I was unable to check if I had low or high blood sugar. I’m very scared after that experience and not to sure what to do . I also feel a little spaced out and fatigue . Is anyone able to tell me if they have experienced this and what it can be ? Thank you in advance x

Hi,

I don't take Metformin. However, not disimallar symptoms to a stomach bug I picked up whilst traveling? (Bar the blocked ears.) or the pre-lude headache.)
But I can sweat with the anguish of an upset stomach & feel pretty worn out after the episode.?

If what you experienced persists? Contact your doctor..

Fifi2022

Hi,

I don't take Metformin. However, not disimallar symptoms to a stomach bug I picked up whilst traveling? (Bar the blocked ears.) or the pre-lude headache.)
But I can sweat with the anguish of an upset stomach & feel pretty worn out after the episode.?

Thank you I will speak to my doctor on Monday x

Fifi2022

Hi,

I’m not sure what it was but it’s the first time that happened and it wasn’t pleasant

Fifi2022

Many people report that Metformin makes a good laxative and maybe that's all that happened. The slow release version is not so bad but if you are already on the slow release version and you feel the tablets caused it then you should report it to your nurse as an unacceptable adverse side effect.

Yes and the funny thing is I experienced constipation but today was something else!! X

Fifi2022

Hi,

Yes I do feel warn out today but haven’t done anything different only thing I can think of is being on my monthly . Thank you for your reply x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I do feel warn out today but haven’t done anything different only thing I can think of is being on my monthly . Thank you for your reply x

I can empathise, not the nicest experience. What I usually do on the rare occaision this happens? Is check if I shared the menu with another "party," (my wife.) then work on the extra factors I may have consumed if she was unaffected..

Lol, we both ate the same thing with different variations whilst traveling through a Asia once & were violently Ill..

Then another time it was just somthing I ate.. (With a notorious reputation.)

But do check with your doc if there are further issues..

Best wishes.

Reactions: Fifi2022

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As already mention if you’re new to metformin that might be a factor. Also it’s important not to forget all the other non diabetic causes of an upset stomach still exist.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like the IBS I used to get.
Seems to have gone since low carbing, possibly it was linked to wheat, although I used to think it was stress related. Very sudden, very urgent diarrhoea with sweats and/or shivers