How do you decided if a working set is not working correctly

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I did my set change yesterday lunch. After 2 hours BG 7.6 and after 3 hours 5.6 so was happy set was working.

Ate dinner that night and bedtime BG was 7.0 Still had some insulin on board but bolused an extra 0.5u to make sure I got back to target.

This morning my BG was 7.3 which is very high for me. I normally wake around 4 to 4.5 I have done a correction bolus and my usual breakkie one but haven't eaten yet as I'm watching how quickly my BG drops before I can eat.

Tomorrow my son goes into hospital for an overnight stay and I am staying with him so I don't want to be messing about with set issues. At what point would you decided to change?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Re: How do you decided if a working set is not working corre

Mushy,
there is nothing what so ever the matter with your set.
Stress due to your son going into hospital will raise your numbers. I dread to think how much NHS money you waste on changing cannulas if this is the type of levels you change at. You need to have a different mentality and start thinking more about what has caused the very slight change in numbers, ie, was there more fat in the food you ate, strees as in a situation or illness, less exercise.
If as you do, change your set at a meal time and you are well within single numbers 2 hours later your set is fine.

Relax and enjoy your pump :)

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Carbsrok I thought that too at first but an hour after doing that bolus of 5.95u (0.95 correction and the rest for breakfast) my sugars had gone up and I know that's not right. I started to feel ill so I didn't want to chance anything and I have put a new set in.

Whilst I know stress could have raised my BG it shouldn't do it so that a bolus like that has no effect! Not sure what you think? Anyway when I pulled the old set it wasn't kinked and looked fine. However I did notice that it's the first set from a new box. I have other batches if the same thing happens again.

What do you think could cause this? Or do you still thnk I pulled too early? I value your advice as it really helped me last year. I no longer fire my sets into the air first and I think that was a big part of my issues. This is my first failed site ths year and is certainly not a kinking issue.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Hi Mushy,
if you have any doubts at all about a set then use a syringe or pen to correct. If the pen/syringe correction works then you know it's a set problem :)
Personally I think you are getting stressed due to your sons hospital stay ((((((hugs))))))) If this is the case then perhaps run a temp basal for a couple of hours.
I also suspect your liver decided you were starving hungry and dumped a load of glucose hence your higher numbers. So if this is the case you have a double wammy so to speak.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

My BG seems back to normal with new set but I probably did panic with the other one. I think I was so worried about having a working set for tomorrow that I gave up on it earlier than I would have if it was a normal day. I am now slightly annoyed with myself but I guess it's all a learning curve.

So when my BG had gone up what would have been the best solution? To do a second correction and see if the Bg dropped then? I thought about injecting but I thought that would just give me insulin for 4 hours and not really tell me if that set was ok.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Just to top my day off when doing my resevoir fill at lunch my pump totally crashed out at the end of the rewind. I had to take the battery out to reset and then call Animas, who just said "these things happen". Just hope it's not related to my weird BG on the old set :roll:

sugar2

MushyPeaBrain said:
Just to top my day off when doing my resevoir fill at lunch my pump totally crashed out at the end of the rewind. I had to take the battery out to reset and then call Animas, who just said "these things happen". Just hope it's not related to my weird BG on the old set :roll:
I hate that!

For me, if the set is faulty my bg rockets...I can hit 20, without eating in a couple of hours.
Hope your sons op went OK!