Shocked Newbie

Starlark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed with type 2 at the end of January. Fasting glucose level 7.2, glucose tolerance test with 250g glucose: after 60 min glucose: 13,1 insulin: 103,8; after 120min: glucose: 11,1 insulin:113,1.

What my doctor only said to me was to take my medication /metformin/, exercise and contact a dietician, and go back with my new bloodwork after 3 months.

My mom has type 2 too, I know the protocol about diet. I started eating 5 times a day more fruit, more veggies, complex carbs etc... and I checked my blood glucose level, fasting /every day/, before a meal, after a meal /once a day/.
Nothing really changed.

But I searched the internet as well. (I know it can be very dangerous.) And I found dr Lustig lecture about sugar. That was my first push toward the low-carb road.
I gave it a try. I cut sugar completely and reduced my carb intake.
I'm shocked now, my fasting glucose is between 5-4,7 and lost 10kg already. I'm more energetic, sleeping better /maybe exercising more helping that too :)/, and I'm somehow calmer.

I'm so happy to find this forum and learn that NHS approve this diet, so I can tell my doctor.

I hope I can reverse my diabetes. I never thought it is possible.

Reactions: JAT1 and Dr Snoddy

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That is a really good start - it is a pity so many doctors, and dieticians, still don't understand about T2 and carbs.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Well done. Sadly many in the NHS don't approve a low-carb diet but my DN does.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Well done you! Maybe your Mum will want to join you. Let us know how you get on in the future as you are making great progress so far.

Reactions: Starlark
D

Deleted member 543160

Well done and keep up your good work!

It was actually my GP that pointed me in the right direction, suggesting the Atkins diet as a tool for weight loss. I've always had his total support, and that of my previous - sadly now retired - DN, who seeing my results at my first review told me "Just keep on doing what it is you're doing..." Unfortunately my current DN may have different ideas.

I fail to understand just why so much incorrect and potentially harmful "advice" is given regarding diet for T2s - a ketogenic style diet was first used in the late 1700s to treat (T2) diabetes, and the first low carb cookery book for diabetics was published over 100 years ago. :banghead::banghead:

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

You have made a great start!!!! I am always so happy when someone finds this site. I think for everyone having more information and more options is great news!

Good luck

Reactions: Starlark
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"so I can tell my doctor."

Um, a little caution here. I know it's tempting but bouncing into the doctor's surgery and telling him he doesn't know what he's talking about might not go down well. I reveal little and just let the results tell the story. If your doctor and nurse are interested enough to ask how you did that then fair enough.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many congratulations on your success. And it's all down to you, so be proud.

Starlark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all very much :)
I hope my bloodwork next month will show my efforts too and keeps me motivated.
I stay here to read and learn further about what I can do for my health.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Starlark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"so I can tell my doctor."

Um, a little caution here. I know it's tempting but bouncing into the doctor's surgery and telling him he doesn't know what he's talking about might not go down well. I reveal little and just let the results tell the story. If your doctor and nurse are interested enough to ask how you did that then fair enough.

Yes, you are probably right.
I won't lie to her if she asks what I'm doing. Technically she didn't recommend any diet to me, only the medication and exercise. But yes, I didn't go to the dietitian...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you in the U.K.? It’s not typical for the nhs to diagnose using a glucose tolerance test and even less usual to do an insulin test ( but great that they did do this). Did you have an hba1c ? This is how most of us track progress alongside daily levels such as fasting and pre/post prandials

Starlark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you in the U.K.? It’s not typical for the nhs to diagnose using a glucose tolerance test and even less usual to do an insulin test ( but great that they did do this). Did you have an hba1c ? This is how most of us track progress alongside daily levels such as fasting and pre/post prandials

No, I live in Hungary. I went to find out if I have PCOS and that bloodwork included an insulin intolerance test, with 3point glucose tolerance and insulin. And a HOMA index which was 5,58 (it measures insulin intolerance, it is good under 2). But sadly they didn't check hba1c.
My doctor said according to these numbers, it is not insulin intolerance but type 2 diabetes. My next check-up will include hba1c.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I live in Hungary. I went to find out if I have PCOS and that bloodwork included an insulin intolerance test, with 3point glucose tolerance and insulin. And a HOMA index which was 5,58 (it measures insulin intolerance, it is good under 2). But sadly they didn't check hba1c.
My doctor said according to these numbers, it is not insulin intolerance but type 2 diabetes. My next check-up will include hba1c.
Insulin intolerance (or resistance) is exactly what type 2 is. You will have increasing resistance/intolerance even before type 2 develops, probably for years. But once that resistance reaches a certain level it becomes great enough that it is no longer able to control blood glucose levels as it should and diabetes is then also diagnosable.
It sounds like you’re doing all the right things and on the right track. Let’s hope your mum sees the benefits and copies you. As you’ve discovered many of the fruits are high carb and the fructose can add to liver issues and glucose control indirectly if eaten in excess even though it doesn’t directly raise blood levels. The complex carbs, whilst an improvement on simple ones, are still carbs and still raise levels.