Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Marie 2 I couldn't agree more, and as someone who has trouble even making touch screens recognise my touch, I don't trust any of it really :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Reactions: Marie 2

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies for being missing in action - hadn't realised quite how long it had been! I think so much of the last two years having being screen-based for work purposes put me off wanting to spend much time looking at screens out of work! I have missed you all though and have just had a rapid read-through of the thread so am up to speed. (Much sympathies to @karen8967)

However, I am determined to reclaim some of my favourite pre-pandemic activities (this thread, some other social media places I venture which have also been neglected) and walking, and am looking to rid myself of a number of church-based admin tasks I took on during various lockdowns/times of restrictions when the music was so restricted and I was not really functioning as an organist to support congregational singing, just providing appropriate music. I really do want those hours back for myself now. That is proving trickier as we still have a number of those who used to be on rotas not quite returned to full resumption of attending in-building activities. Interestingly, all of them expecting things to be exactly as they were pre-March 2020... um, that would be a "no".

I have, most miraculously, avoided coming down with any variant of Covid so far! How I keep dodging it in my education workplace is slightly beyond me - especially during the month I was doing mandatory daily testing!!! Mind you, I'm still pretty strict about mask-wearing and other sensible measures for me.

We have also just emerged from a three days full OFSTED (Inspection for those not familiar with the term OFSTED). For myself, it's not particularly stressful, but it has been for numerous colleagues so I'm exhausted from supporting them. Don't think there will be much done tomorrow...

I probably ought to toddle back to the Moderate Exercise thread as well, as for the first time since 2019 I'm back up at full walking strength!

Diabetes has been its usual self....

Last edited:

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I was wondering if we could talk a bit on Vitamins u know it is good for diabetics.

I take Vitamin B12
and Magnesium .

They believe there are good for nerves functioning .

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good to hear from you @Japes, I've missed your posts. Glad to hear you've avoided Covid, and hope you're soon able to pass on some of your church-based admin tasks. It's always easier to take on things, than get rid of them isn't it?!!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Yaya10_10 A multiple probably, most people just don't eat all the nutrients everyone needs optimally. I prefer to add on more nutrients by a green drink powder blend or pills. The powders will naturally give you more of a variety of nutrients and then they add some things like more C or ?.... But it depends how far you want to go. I take CoQ and did before type 1 as heart issues ran in my family and it helps with allergies. But as diabetics we are more prone to heart and kidney damage and CoQ10 helps with both, besides the fact I still have allergies. I also take Vitamin D, B12, magnesium and have lately added Lutein. The other thing we are more prone to is eye issues. So lots of greens, or maybe Lutein or an eye multi can help supply nutrients for the eyes. There are some multi's that have things for the heart and eyes, but usually they are in minuscule doses. That could be enough to stave off issues if you are young in a "normal". More nutrients in a multi makes for more pills or huge pills and more cost.

But as diabetics we are just more prone to certain issues and a lot of it is probably related to circulation because of thicker blood with higher BG levels. Most of these things hit as we age and we are older, although BG control plays a part in when. So it can hit when you are younger or maybe if we are genetically prone. So the better BG control earlier and hopefully better nutrition earlier helps stave off issues as we get older.

The things we are more prone to are kidneys and eyes, and heart and circulation issues. (and other various things)

Last edited:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Japes good to see you back. Glad that you are remaining fit and healthy and reclaiming control over things you do and don’t want to do. Reclaiming our lives is very strange. We did a walk yesterday that due to muddy conditions we struck off our list for a while. It was enjoyable but strange as it had been our daily lockdown walk. Day after day we went out first thing and did the 4 miles across fields and along quiet local roads. Dodging other walkers. The local roads are no longer quiet and we didn’t see anyone else walking. Covid is still with us, but not in an all consuming way.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Morning all hope everyone is well, have tested positive for Covid, feels like a heavy cold but on the plus side my BG levels are the best they have been in weeks - managed a croissant on Friday and didn’t even spike.. the silver lining !!! Sadly I think the dog has got it too as she’s got cold paws and ears and shivering…:depressed:

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Ditto..have tested positive for covid on Friday…headache and cold like symptoms……

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good morning everyone, hope you all have a nice day

Hope @Clivethedrive and @Juicyj are ok, and your dog too Juicyj. Sending you and @karen8967 hugs and best wishes, and anyone else who needs them as well.

After a beautiful, warm sunny day on Sunday it rained all day yesterday and is cold today. I've got long curtains with a draw cord in my living room, which help keep the heat in, and the cord snapped yesterday, just in time for the cold snap hey ho, that's life.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I agree @Hopeful34, hope everyone in need of hugs and besst wishes is getting them and feeling better. And of course the cord snapped just as it gets cold, Sod's Law operates all the time :hilarious:

I'm hoping my kitchen installation will be finished tomorrow, have found this a strssful experience and it still won't be finished in the sense that I've still to choose tiles and get them put up. I have a great local tile shop and he'll lend me loads of samples so I can have a look at things in situ and decide what I want.

And talking of stressful, just had my annual retinopathy test and they found three small bleeds in one eye and one in the other. Having no kitchen has made it hard to eat the way I would usually, plus the stress from that and a couple of other things going on, so sugars have not been the best over the past few weeks. The technician said they may call me in for an earlier review, though these hemmorrhages are small enough to heal themselves. Nevertheless, not delighted by the news...

Reactions: Clivethedrive

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone, hope you all have a nice day

Hope @Clivethedrive and @Juicyj are ok, and your dog too Juicyj. Sending you and @karen8967 hugs and best wishes, and anyone else who needs them as well.

After a beautiful, warm sunny day on Sunday it rained all day yesterday and is cold today. I've got long curtains with a draw cord in my living room, which help keep the heat in, and the cord snapped yesterday, just in time for the cold snap hey ho, that's life.
thanks hopeful34 for the hugs finally got a date for tommy's funeral which is friday 8th of april so i will maybe start posting again after that xx

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Best wishes @karen8967 thinking of you at this difficult time.

Hope your feeling better @Clivethedrive ?

Thanks @Hopeful34 all ok here just get tired quite easily but definitely coming out the other side now, daughter now has it too as well as my brother. Be glad to be out exercising again but no rush until I’ve got this beat !

Reactions: karen8967

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Yep wife has covid too,day after me ,my 7th day isolating,wife’s 6th, still though we feel lucky because it’s relatively mild considering

Reactions: karen8967

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Juicyj, yes getting better now,just feels like a bad cold now,how are you?

Same as you - just a heavy cold, we are throwing every thing at it, so rest, vitamin c, boxes of tissues, but still have it, hoping it’s gone by the weekend - fingers crossed !

Reactions: Clivethedrive