New to this.

RosemaryB

Only just been told I have type 2 diabetic, after a blood test.I have other health problems and this is not what I was hoping for.I am a very strict vegetarian almost a vegan, I do.not.smoke or drink ever, but I am very.immobile because of health problems, and very over weight, although I have lost over a stone, not changed my diet.Speaking to my nurse today she has said that they may want to.put me.on statins , does anyone else take these as I am.not happy.about taking this medication.I have to see a nurse next week to explain everything to.me.Seems like a minefield to.me.Hope I get some.information on this.site to help.me.to.move forward. Thanks for reading.

Reactions: Moggy1968

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only just been told I have type 2 diabetic, after a blood test.I have other health problems and this is not what I was hoping for.I am a very strict vegetarian almost a vegan, I do.not.smoke or drink ever, but I am very.immobile because of health problems, and very over weight, although I have lost over a stone, not changed my diet.Speaking to my nurse today she has said that they may want to.put me.on statins , does anyone else take these as I am.not happy.about taking this medication.I have to see a nurse next week to explain everything to.me.Seems like a minefield to.me.Hope I get some.information on this.site to help.me.to.move forward. Thanks for reading.
Hi @RosemaryB .

Sorry to hear the diagnosis is on top of other ailments

Does make it trickier to know quite what way to turn.

The thing I'd keep hold of, is it's taken a long time most likely to get to full blown type 2..

I've read many post where the timing is anywhere between 5 years - 10 years.

So action doesn't have to be immediate, so you have time to peruse the forum & do some digging

I am in a similar position regarding statins
Seems to be the default treatment for type 2 (T2D for short..alongside Diagnosis = DX.)

Many decent threads on here regarding statins, etc.

I would suggest a search under @bulkbiker for statins, threads.
He's found and discussed many reports found on line, etc, from many authorities on the

( Rude of me to expect a new member to search.
So I looked and found this thread
Lots of useful opinions and some very interesting links
Hope it's of some use .
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/statins.186174/ )

While the evidence needs dissecting by You, in respect to your health issues, they do offer a great starting point, for you to begin making decisions moving forward, whether yeah or nay.

Sure others will be along soon offering support.

A good many vegans, vegetarians make decent impacts on their diabetes.

Personally I like and went more meat & 2 veg.
But good to know there ARE other methods & diets out there should I choose to change mine, at some point.

Ask many many questions.
Members you'll find are a font of knowledge, and a source of comfort .

Good luck finding a way that suits you.

Last edited:

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome. Lots of good information and support to be found here.
We can't advise on medication, but I recommend Bulkbiker's information on statins, and also that it is your decision what meds you put in your body.

Reactions: jjraak

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Statins are not a diabetes drug. Has the nurse got any reason to put you on statins? The decision should be based on your lipids breakdown not being in a good range. Ensure that your next blood test includes a full lipids panel as part of a fasting test. For diet you need to reduce your overall carb intake. Set yourself a daily limit of perhaps 150gm or less

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lowering your carbs will probably lower your cholesterol: my cardiologist tells me to stick to lean meat and vegetables, and having done so, my cholesterol numbers improved and he reduced my statins. Sticking to a strict vegetarian diet will limit your options a bit, but you can still do low carb. 'Above ground' leafy veg is great. Grains and fruit are really bad. Root vegetables are best avoided for the most part.