Newly Diagnosed today

Genee

I feel a bit down at the moment on hearing the news i have type 2 diabetes. It is one more thing i have to cope with as i have several physical disability's from birth. I blame myself because of the COVID Lock downs and we have had several in Victoria. I put on weight and i wasn't able to go to the gym due to the lock downs. I have started at the gym again and the weight has come down a fair bit so that is good news. I started taking Metformin 500 tonight.

Sadly i cant have m and ms crispy which are my favorites. Oh well my health is more important.

I am also very upset that i cant post on the Australian forum of Diabetics Australia as they charge a membership to access the forums. It is really disgusting they charge a membership it is only limiting access to people who need help. End of my rant. Thank you Diabetes UK for not charging a membership to access the forums.

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel a bit down at the moment on hearing the news i have type 2 diabetes. It is one more thing i have to cope with as i have several physical disability's from birth. I blame myself because of the COVID Lock downs and we have had several in Victoria. I put on weight and i wasn't able to go to the gym due to the lock downs. I have started at the gym again and the weight has come down a fair bit so that is good news. I started taking Metformin 500 tonight.

Sadly i cant have m and ms crispy which are my favorites. Oh well my health is more important.

I am also very upset that i cant post on the Australian forum of Diabetics Australia as they charge a membership to access the forums. It is really disgusting they charge a membership it is only limiting access to people who need help. End of my rant. Thank you Diabetes UK for not charging a membership to access the forums.
Hello, and welcome from Australia. Don't look back, we all had to get through best we could with covid. Look forward, you've all ready started at the gym. I changed my diet quite radically and resented at the beginning, now I don't think about it, and i've found some new foods and an alternative way of baking. So good luck.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @Genee and welcome to the forum.
I doubt that lack of access to gyms is to blame for your T2D. What we eat has much more influence on Blood Glucose than exercise does. That is why people say that 'you can't out-run a poor diet'. This applies to all aerobic exercise, though Weight Training is good because it builds muscle s which can then absorb more glucose.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Genee . Several antipodeans on here, the more the merrier. Just don't expect much response real time in your day time!
And stop beating yourself up. Diabetes 2 has a genetic tendency (I blame mine firmly on my sister!) and on the types and manufacture of several foods we have all been encouraged to eat for years on the basis they are "healthty".
Have a good read around and don't hesitate to come back with any questions

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and another welcome from Australia,

As others have said don't beat yourself up too much. My beloved husband has always had a lot more carbs than I and remains firmly both skinny and non-diabetic. There is definitely a genetic component to it.

I also wouldn't worry about being a member of diabetes Australia- I am firmly of the view that this site is way more helpful!

As a fellow carboholic I also felt upset when diagnosed. I was devastated. If you find some of my early postings you will see I had myself a real pity party. So you are not alone. Almost 3 years later and I am great. I am not going to say I wouldn't like to be able to eat carbs again but on a daily basis I don't miss them. I have radically changed my diet, lost weight, lost my asthma and met a whole lot of wonderful people on this forum.

My suggestion though is to get a meter if you haven't already. It is the best tool to help you manage your condition.

Keep reading and posting. This place is awesome and there are quite a lot of us from Australia. You will find all the help and advice you need here if you stick around.

Welcome and good luck :)

Reactions: Antje77

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is really disgusting they charge a membership it is only limiting access to people who need help.
I am a fully paid up member to Diabetes Australia (formerly Diabetes Queensland as they merged late last year.), there are weekly emailed news letters, quarterly Circle magazine via Australia Post.

They are the voice of all diabetics in Australia, which is cheap at the price I pay $38.00, because I have a concession card to also access the forum.

Your membership entitles you subsidised testing strip and pump parts if you are a T2 diabetic through NDSS service.

I think this forum here has nothing to do with Diabetes UK

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think this forum here has nothing to do with Diabetes UK

Yes, it's a bit confusing isn't it.

Diabetes UK ( www.diabetes.org.uk ) is a registered UK diabetes charity and has its own forum. They do a fair amount of advocacy for UK diabetics, I believe. (I'm actually a lifelong member, if I remember correctly, from back in pre internet days when they had a monthly magazine and I lived in the UK, but I lost contact when I left the UK).

DCUK is a completely different organisation. The forum here has more of an international feel, and also tends to be more focussed on low carb solutions, though you certainly don't have to be a low carb adherent to post here.

Reactions: jjraak

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

• [*]

[*]1. Diabetes Australia Group CEO Justine Cain in Canberra

Diabetes Australia Staff
    Diabetes Australia Community team
    Posted 2 days ago
    Reply Privately
    Earlier this week Diabetes Australia Group CEO Justine Cain met with Member for Grey and Co-Chair of the Parliamentary Friends of Diabetes Rowan Ramsey to talk about what people with diabetes would like to see in the budget and the upcoming election.

Justine and Rowan discussed more affordable access to CGM and flash monitoring for all people with type 1 diabetes, better screening and detection of all types of diabetes, much-needed complications prevention programs and ways of improving care for people living with diabetes in residential aged care.

XG1h2qceRDeEv4IcMJxe_Justine%20and%20Member%20for%20Grey.jpeg

------------------------------
    Community Team
    Natasha & Erin
    [email protected]

• 2. RE: Diabetes Australia Group CEO Justine Cain in Canberra

Ursula
      Posted yesterday
      Reply Privately
      I am very disappointed that they only advocated for type 1 diabetics. I am type 2 insulin dependant who relies on the Libre Sensor as my BGL's have been all over the place due to the Pfizer jab. With the increases in my medications some of which are no longer covered by my Pension Concession it is becoming increasingly difficult to survive .

Ursula

George
      Posted yesterday
      Reply Privately
      Basing these things on type not clinical circumstances is just too simplistic. 80/20 thinking leaves the metaphorical 20% in the lurch

George

Helen
      Posted 11 hours ago
      Reply Privately
      Hi Ursula
      I agree and am disappointed too. I would like to see these things advocated for, for ALL diabetics that need them regardless of classification.
      Helen

Helen

Original Message

• This is a thread started by the admins at Diabetes Australia forum.

• We all know what diabetics of all types got in the budget,we got Buckleys.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Genee and welcome to the forums from New Zealand.

(My apologies for getting side tracked in my previous post from your very real issues.)

Firstly, please don't blame yourself for having T2. Some people are genetically incapable of coping with the carb load in the modern recommended diet and that's all there is to it.

Congratulations on starting to get your weight down and here is a link to my favourite intro to the low carb way of dealing with T2 (not sure if anyone has posted it yet?)
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/

I'd second the suggestion to have a look at the NDSS service, as regards to getting subsidised blood testing strips.

Genee

Thanks everyone for your welcome and input. As for testing myself that does present a challenge as i only have use of one hand as the other is deformed. As you can see doing a finger prick would be very difficult. Can the prick be done somewhere else like the leg?